Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Jan 12, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #916 of 1,285
no more news about this AUDEZE DDA-1 DAC/AMP/DSP prototype ?  It could be a serious competitor to Bakoon to drive an LCD !

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #920 of 1,285
  Sorry if this sounds ridiculous, I'm new to this. What about the Logitech Squeezebox Touch as DAC & source for the LCD-3?

I actually found the HE500 quite ok directly out of the of the SB Touch when I tried it. I actually migh try lcd3 later for you, if I find the right adapter. As a stadalone source the SB Touch is above wfm, but you should seriously get a headamp, a 99usd Schiit Magni or something.

The SB Touch headphone output is a bit noisy with sensitive phones, BTW. But it is a great source, both digital and analog. What a waste Logitech disconitnued it. 

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #922 of 1,285
  Thanks a lot, ardilla!

I'm thinking about the Mjolnir or the WA6SE.  I was originally planning to purchase the LCD-3 last year, but something else came up.

Did you buy the LCD-3 yet? If not, why do you want it so much you don't budget in an amp for it instead of getting eg LCD-2 and a good amp for the price of the LCD-3?

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #923 of 1,285

Did you buy the LCD-3 yet? If not, why do you want it so much you don't budget in an amp for it instead of getting eg LCD-2 and a good amp for the price of the LCD-3?

Thanks a lot, ardilla!

I'm thinking about the Mjolnir or the WA6SE.  I was originally planning to purchase the LCD-3 last year, but something else came up.

ill add in that i preferred the LCD-2 and WA6-SE to the LCD-3 and the WA6-SE by a fairly good margin. especially when the WA6-SE has a mighty 596 in it.

didn't prefer the LCD-3 until i got the GSX MK2

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #925 of 1,285

ill add in that i preferred the LCD-2 and WA6-SE to the LCD-3 and the WA6-SE by a fairly good margin. especially when the WA6-SE has a mighty 596 in it.

didn't prefer the LCD-3 until i got the GSX MK2

Is the GS-X Mk2 something that can really get the most out of the LCD-3? :)

Also, compared to the BHA-1, is it brighter or is it darker? I didn't like the BHA-1 because it was (way) too bright for me.

P.S: I'm still confused, you used to say that your bass is lacking, I'm listening to some Gustav Mahler DSD right now through my STX card and even on  very quiet passages with bass, I can feel it hitting really rather nice. I guess the GS-X Mk2 really would make a basshead grin ;D

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #926 of 1,285

Is the GS-X Mk2 something that can really get the most out of the LCD-3? :)

Also, compared to the BHA-1, is it brighter or is it darker? I didn't like the BHA-1 because it was (way) too bright for me.

P.S: I'm still confused, you used to say that your bass is lacking, I'm listening to some Gustav Mahler DSD right now through my STX card and even on  very quiet passages with bass, I can feel it hitting really rather nice. I guess the GS-X Mk2 really would make a basshead grin ;D

Goodness yes! The GS-X Mk2 is by a good margin the best LCD-3/X/XC and HD800 amp I've heard yet. Comparing it to other amps I've owned/heard in the past have really got me thinking I'm not leaving anymore cards on the table. 

The BHA-1 is definitely a brighter amp...The GS-X Mk2 also brings the bass....just brilliantly. It's not a bassy amp, but it goes down low and gives you every detail there is. The bass is deep, textured, defined, controlled and simply outstanding.

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #927 of 1,285
  Goodness yes! The GS-X Mk2 is by a good margin the best LCD-3/X/XC and HD800 amp I've heard yet. Comparing it to other amps I've owned/heard in the past have really got me thinking I'm not leaving anymore cards on the table. 

The BHA-1 is definitely a brighter amp...The GS-X Mk2 also brings the bass....just brilliantly. It's not a bassy amp, but it goes down low and gives you every detail there is. The bass is deep, textured, defined, controlled and simply outstanding.

i couldn't agree more.

GSX MK2 is the best amp for audeze and probably the best i've heard for hd 800 as well

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #928 of 1,285
So would that be a good idea to first order this amp and pair it to the STX card and then buy a DAC afterwards?

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #929 of 1,285
you should be ok but try and get a DAC soon

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #930 of 1,285
  you should be ok but try and get a DAC soon

I see you use the Mytek 192-DSD DAC, does it work well for you and do you see a reason to upgrade to something else soon? I'm having trouble deciding exactly what I want, with the Zodiac Platinum DAC that I've tested recently, it was a rather nice sounding DAC, quite spacious and a lot of resolution while sounding warm yet analytical (the HD700 that I have shows more pronounced sibilance while not being over the top) and the LCD-3 are amazing on proper masterings, on DSD I couldn't tell exactly what I'm hearing because right now I'm listening to DSD recordings via foobar2000 plugin which converts it back to PCM for processing and it works quite well.

But the question remains - what will be the biggest improvement right, should I opt for that end game amp or should I go for a better DAC first (Which is a problem because some don't have headphone amps in them, like the Auralic Vega which I hear great things about it) and only then get an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back