Amp Recomendation?
Nov 19, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #16 of 67
Quote:
How do you like the O2? I'm getting one for Christmas.. Woo stuff looks cooler
biggrin.gif

I like it a lot :) Enough to buy a second one from JDS.. The one I bought from a DIY'er kept having issues with the pot. (it's not a question of a poor quality pot either.. It's supposed to be a nice one). Anyways, the pot went bad twice.. So, I just decided to get one from JDSLabs.. so I can complain at them and have them fix it if it happens again :p

I honestly think something was just wrong with that O2. I haven't seen anyone else have the same problem I had with it. I sold it for 45 dollars, accordingly. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #17 of 67
Quote:
I like it a lot :) Enough to buy a second one from JDS.. The one I bought from a DIY'er kept having issues with the pot. (it's not a question of a poor quality pot either.. It's supposed to be a nice one). Anyways, the pot went bad twice.. So, I just decided to get one from JDSLabs.. so I can complain at them and have them when/if it happens again :p

I honestly think something was just wrong with that O2. I sold it for 45 dollars, accordingly. 

Nice, do you think it could pair well with the HD600 or if my dreams come true the HD800(this would only be for a couple months as I would get a Woo for it)

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #22 of 67
Quote:
Anyone have opinions of the Nuforce Icon 2 HD/P? Heard really good things about it. How would it compare to the O2+ODAC?

I have heard nothing from Nuforce, but I do not like that company at all and I personally wouldn't buy anything from them for reasons I can't even remember. I just know I decided I really didn't like them a while ago.

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #23 of 67
I've also just ordered a JDS Labs O2/ODAC combo for my HE-500s, and I'm looking forward to hearing how they sound together.  I agree with chris on using the EQ from the source instead of using the amp as a pseudo-equalizer.  Will update when I get it in, hopefully by Wednesday!

I should mention that the Schiit stuff definitely does look better.  I had a hard time choosing between the Asgard and O2, but I felt the O2/ODAC combo was more well-rounded.

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #24 of 67
I think right now Im stuck between the Schiit Asgard, and the O2. DAC wise, I think the ODAC will be fine for me. Are there any opinions on a different DAC? Just making sure is all, Ive heard DACs are one of the least important/noticeable differences you can do to your setup. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #25 of 67
Quote:
I think right now Im stuck between the Schiit Asgard, and the O2. DAC wise, I think the ODAC will be fine for me. Are there any opinions on a different DAC? Just making sure is all, Ive heard DACs are one of the least important/noticeable differences you can do to your setup. 

HRT Music Streamer II is the only other DAC I'd look at.

As far as DACs not being important. That isn't true at all. DACs are very important, if you are comparing a poor one to a nice one. DACs just reach the point of diminishing returns very quickly, so the difference between one nice dac and another is negligible. The difference between a bad dac and a good one is monumental.

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #26 of 67
The amp is essentially amplifying what a DAC outputs, so yes, a bad signal will be amplified badly. In that respect, DACs are important. But when comparing between two good DACs, the differences can be minor.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #27 of 67
Er, thats basically what I meant. Not that having atleast a decent is better than say the onboard of a computer. I was meaning exactly that, diminishing returns and whatnot. I was meaning anything further than the ODAC for my purposes was probably overkill. 

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #30 of 67
Quote:
So any opinions? O2 vs Asgard? Main reason i like the asgard is the inputs are on the back, up front looks clean and classy.

Different designs, different costs. I don't see why it should be so difficult to decide. What do you prefer? Form or functionality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back