Amp reccomendations for HD-650 AND Grado RS-1?
Sep 16, 2008 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

agreenspan

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. This is my very first post! I have 2 headphones. Grado RS-1 (32 ohms) and Sennheiser HD-650 (300 ohms). I have been using a Musical fidelity X-can v3 to drive them. To be honest, I don't notice too much of a difference in sound between the X-can and the headphone jack of my McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier.
Anyway, I bought the X-can used and can sell it again.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a tube headphone amp that is able to drive both of my (low and high impedance) headphones?
I really like what I see at the Woo Audio site. The amps are affordable and beautiful. Does Woo have anything that would work AND sound better than what I have now?
Thanks!

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 34
From what I understand (since I never had the chance to hear a Woo amp) Woo Audio makes some very fine tube amps. But be aware that strictly speaking generally, tubes are recommended for high ohm phones like the HD650s while solid state amps like the Gilmore Lite or Little Dot MKV are recommended for the lower ohm but current hunger Grados.

Perhaps a hybrid is in order?

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woobies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I understand (since I never had the chance to hear a Woo amp) Woo Audio makes some very fine tube amps. But be aware that strictly speaking generally, tubes are recommended for high ohm phones like the HD650s while solid state amps like the Gilmore Lite or Little Dot MKV are recommended for the lower ohm but current hunger Grados.

Perhaps a hybrid is in order?

Sorry, a little too general.

Some OTL (output transformer-less) tubes amps do have trouble delivering enough current for low-impedance headphones, but that's "some".

Hybrid is simply a tube gain stage with a solid-state buffer, meaning the output is solid-state so it acts very much as any other solid-state amp at driving headphones.

For HD650, I generally wouldn't recommend a tube amp, I like strong solid-state amps with it. With RS-1, they're fun enough solid that I don't say that it's necessary to go with tubes either, but I'm no hypocrite, I use the Melos with the RS-1 and it rocks.

What's your budget?

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 34
My budget is about $1000. I have the x-can v3, which is a hybrid. The new v8 has an output impedance of 1 or 2 ohms, so its supposed to work with the Grados better than the v3?
Anyway, I thought that many tube amps like the high impedance of the 650's but don't like the low impedance of the Grados.

Sep 18, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 34
A SP extreme used. You'll find you will have favorite gain tubes for each hp. The tube amp will give you the flexibility to tweak the amp to each. This is not one of those amps that has a wimpy power supply.

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentdog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go with the Headamp GS-1. Great with both Senns and Grado.

That is what I personally recommend also. I've used to own both the RS-1 and HD650 (at the same time) and they both sounded great through the GS-1. Good luck getting one though, as the build time is quite long.

Sep 18, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by agreenspan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone. This is my very first post! I have 2 headphones. Grado RS-1 (32 ohms) and Sennheiser HD-650 (300 ohms). I have been using a Musical fidelity X-can v3 to drive them. To be honest, I don't notice too much of a difference in sound between the X-can and the headphone jack of my McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier.
Anyway, I bought the X-can used and can sell it again.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a tube headphone amp that is able to drive both of my (low and high impedance) headphones?
I really like what I see at the Woo Audio site. The amps are affordable and beautiful. Does Woo have anything that would work AND sound better than what I have now?
Thanks!

I've had several of these amps with my Senns and Grados - some work better with both than others.

1. X-CANs - the v3 works very well with both, if you've got a good source, and you apply the PinkFloyd Mods (e.g. Caps, diodes, tubes) - really excellent. The X-CANv8 does great with Grados, and is OK with Senns - its a bit underpowered with Senns (requires higher POT settings), but it sounds fine with them. It is one of the few amps that can properly drive the 25 ohm Denons.

2. Woo Audio - the WA3 and 3+ are great with Senns, but struggle with Grados (low impedance phones). The WA6 does fine with both, though the WA6+ and WA6 SE and SE+ are much better - among the best.

3. Darkvoice - the DV332 / DV337 are great with both, though a wee bit better with Senns than low impedance phones. The DV332, at $420 shipped, is a "best buy" - virtually as good as the SP Extreme (Extreme is only a "hair" better).

4. SP Extreme - can be great with both, depending upon its configuration (which POT and whether it has an integrated Texture Control - you want the standard POT, and no Texture Control, or a switched Texture Control), and with the right tubes.

Of all these... I'd get the DV332, or maybe the DV337, if I was on a budget. If I was not price sensative, I'd get the WA6+, or WA6 SE+. The terrible reputation of SinglePower for total lack of support, and failure to deliver, bars their amps from consideration - unless you can find a good one in the aftermarket, and are prepared to have it serviced elsewhere "on your dime" - its simply not an option otherwise, unless you like to "live on the edge," and don't mind long waits and lots of disappointments - and that's putting it mildly.

Sep 18, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2. Woo Audio - the WA3 and 3+ are great with Senns, but struggle with Grados (low impedance phones). The WA6 does fine with both, though the WA6+ and WA6 SE and SE+ are much better - among the best.

Actually the Woo 3+ was was developed to better handle low impedance phones.

Woo Audio 3+ High End Headphone Amplifier

Sep 19, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #12 of 34
I second the Pink Floyd mods and Little Pinkie PSU for your X Can V3, you might just love the X Can after that upgrade.

The DV322 and 377 are solid choices, maybe the LD MK VI if you want to try balanced on the cheap....The Woo Audio stuff is very good ....lots of great choices for well under 1K these days.

Peete.

Sep 19, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 34
I did get the little pinkie recently and it did not work. My x-can would not power on with it. It was deffective, so I am sending it back.
Jack at WooAudio emailed me and told me to get the WA6-SE.
He said it was better than an upgraded WA6.
Does this amp get very hot? Hotter than the x-can? (because the x-can is not even vented). I ask because I'm planning on putting this thing on an audio shelf under another shelf.

Sep 19, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #14 of 34
I think I'm going to go with a Little Dot MKIVse for my 650's. Down the road I'm going to get some SR325's. From what I've heard it will power both quite well. I'm a novice so don't take my advice I just wanted to throw my hat in.

Sep 19, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #15 of 34
I think the x-can v3 sounds great. I just don't think its better than the headphone out jack on my McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier.
I was hoping that by going to the WA6-SE, I would hear a substantial improvement....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back