Amp question
Oct 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Famouse

New Head-Fier
Note: I'm not to experienced or knowledgeable about amps so please excuse me if I make a stupid.

Okay, I was originally going to just get an e6 but I realized that I wouldn't really use it much for on the go. Now I'm wondering what would be a good amp (or DAC whatever) for at home use and occasionally portable use to improve sound. The source will be my PC (not sure on the sound card or anything) and an ipod 5th gen classic. For headphones I have HTF 600's (which don't really need an amp) but I plan on soon getting k240's which kinda need an amp. I know this may sound not good but my budget is around $60 (it was $30 for the e6 but I decided to just save more for something better). If I don't end up getting an amp or something I plan on buying another set of headphones (if that would be a better idea) most likely the Beyer DT 235s.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 8
I think with that budget you are better of either saving up to the $150 range and getting a Total Bithead or an O2 amp.  With a $60 amp you are going to be greatly limiting your ability to upgrade upon your headphones and the sound quality will most likely suffer.

I vote no amp for now until you know that you really need it.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
I think with that budget you are better of either saving up to the $150 range and getting a Total Bithead or an O2 amp.  With a $60 amp you are going to be greatly limiting your ability to upgrade upon your headphones and the sound quality will most likely suffer.

I vote no amp for now until you know that you really need it.

Okay sounds like a plan, what would you recommend the total bithead or the O2 for someone who listens to some rock, breakcore, garage, and traditional dubstep (burial, skream, mala, etc.)? Would you say the k240's should have an amp or is it not so necessary?

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 8
Hope you don't mind me piggy backing on this thread but I am in a similar situation- was considering the fiio 17 but realized I had no desire to take an amp or a pair of cans around- just want it for listening at the desk with my computer.

Am currently thinking of the "NuForce Icon uDAC-2SE Black Special Edition Digital Audio Converter with Asynchronous USB Audio" but really don't know much about these things and would appreciate any advice.

Will these power the beyerdynamic 880/600 okay? If not is there anything in the $200-400 that would pair better?

Thanks all.

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Hope you don't mind me piggy backing on this thread but I am in a similar situation- was considering the fiio 17 but realized I had no desire to take an amp or a pair of cans around- just want it for listening at the desk with my computer.
Am currently thinking of the "NuForce Icon uDAC-2SE Black Special Edition Digital Audio Converter with Asynchronous USB Audio" but really don't know much about these things and would appreciate any advice.
Will these power the beyerdynamic 880/600 okay? If not is there anything in the $200-400 that would pair better?
Thanks all.

O2/ODAC combo is one of the best in your price range (can be had for ~$300.) I don't know specifically about the uDac-2se, but the uDac 2 (don't know if they are related at all) has pretty polarizing reviews.

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 8
Yeah the O2/ODAC Combo sounds pretty good.  My biggest gripe about it is the severe channel imbalance at low volumes.  One ear is obviously much louder than the other.  For the package though I do like the O2/ODAC combo and at least there are measurements out there for it.  If you can afford it you cannot go wrong with it.

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
My biggest gripe about it is the severe channel imbalance at low volumes.

That problem can be worked around by using a lower gain. From a 2Vrms source, the majority of headphones can in fact be used with only 1x gain (the O2 can be modified for 1x gain at one of the settings by clipping two resistors).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back