Amp Issue Involving -=Germania=-
Jul 18, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #211 of 243
There is a difference in how the postal service handles domestic and international priority mail. They are different services. I use USPS domestic priority mail for nearly all of my shipping. And tracking status is always available the next business day (I take my packages to a counter too).

For international service the customs declaration number is the tracking number and it is not uncommon for the tracking status to take several days to show up on the USPS web site. For one recent package the tracking info wasn't available until the day before delivery to the recipient in the UK.

Sorry if I seem to be harping on this, but there are a lot of eyes on this thread and it is important for people to make this distinction. If someone is sending you a package from the US to an international destination it doesn't work the same way as US domestic mail does. If you want to understand how the services work, they are well documented on the USPS website.

--Jerome

Jul 18, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #212 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your item left the United States from ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) at 6:31 AM on July 16, 2009.

Biggie.

Since Biggie is posting this today, the postal tracking system seems to be fine as he received this information within two days of the amp being shipped.

Jul 18, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #213 of 243
Just FYI, I know Biggie's amp was shipped USPS, not UPS, but I bought a bunch of stuff from Monoprice on the 16th and they shipped UPS. Tracking was up the same day and the tracking info currently says: "CALGARY, AB, CA 18/07/2009 6:15 INTERNAL UPS ACTIVITY". That was the next step after 'REGISTERED WITH CLEARING AGENCY / SHIPMENT SUBMITTED TO CLEARING AGENCY". Not sure what that one means but seeing as it's already (supposedly) in Calgary, I would say UPS is pretty fast, since it came from California. Currently the status of the package says "Exception" though, so looks like it's going to be delayed a bit for whatever reason.
frown.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #214 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since Biggie is posting this today, the postal tracking system seems to be fine as he received this information within two days of the amp being shipped.

I give up and won't post in this thread again.

But Vicki I want you to know that it would be very unforunate if some member gave me a hard time about a shipment because they had an expectation that tracking information would appear on the USPS web site in a day or two based on comments in this thread. The only international shipping service with guaranteed tracking offered by the US Postal Service is EMS. I am very disappointed in the second-hand commentary.

--Jerome

Jul 18, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #215 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But Vicki I want you to know that it would be very unforunate if some member gave me a hard time about a shipment because they had an expectation that tracking information would appear on the USPS web site in a day or two based on comments in this thread. The only international shipping service with guaranteed tracking offered by the US Postal Service is EMS. I am very disappointed in the second-hand commentary.

--Jerome

I agree with you, and just learned that piece of information myself from this thread. Since Biggie got his tracking information, and it looks like in a timely manner from the post office, I guess it's fair to say it's a hit or miss deal as far as tracking goes with USPS.

Jul 19, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #216 of 243
I don't know why I bother arguing this stuff. Really, because I am increasingly annoyed by people perpetuating myths about the evils of postal tracking (useless), Canada Customs (apparently run by Satan himself), UPS (50000% BROKERAGE FEES ON EVERY SHIPMENT), etc.

USPS Priority International shipments to Canada:

Yes, it is true that several years ago, Priority shipments to Canada had somewhat spotty delivery times, and essentially worthless tracking that only served to prove an item had been mailed. I used to feel strongly that it was worth paying the extra for EMS on most items, since Global Priority (as it was called before rebranding) was often delivered at the very end of the service standard, had useless tracking, and didn't allow very much insurance.

Around the same time the USPS rebranded its services, Priority shipments started to become much more reliably fast, and include tracking which shows as much information as EMS. In fact, a Priority shipment to Canada is treated exactly the same way as EMS once it is inside the country, delivered as XpressPost (express mail). Priority has become so consistently good that I haven't bothered to have an item shipped by EMS for over a year. This is a huge, huge improvement.

I have received dozens of packages from the US over the past couple of years. I also regularly chat with eBay sellers who have lots of international shipping experience, as opposed to ones who simply repeat what they've been told about how difficult it is, without seeing for themselves. Of all the Priority packages I've received in recent years, the longest I had to wait was 10 days, including a weekend, as well as a two business day stop in Vancouver customs. Most packages are delivered a week after they're shipped, which is FIVE BUSINESS DAYS.

On the subject of tracking, I cannot emphasize more strongly that is completely untrue that tracking on Priority packages regularly takes days to show online, doesn't show any useful information, etc. Priority tracking is EXACTLY THE SAME as EMS on shipments to Canada. Tracking on most shipments is usually available online the same or next business day (on BOTH the USPS and Canada Post web sites), and it gives updates at predictable intervals. I can see when a package was mailed, transferred to the outgoing postal facility, when it leaves the country; the next update is usually after it has cleared customs, then when it arrives at the regional sorting facility, the local sorting facility, and finally when it is out for delivery. I am still regularly amazed by how GOOD the tracking provided on Priority shipments is, since I am able to tell exactly when it will arrive, like any other trackable postal shipment in Canada. It is best to track an item with Canada Post's web site once it has entered the country.

I want to add that when I talk to people about their "problems" with shipping stuff to Canada, and actually get them to explain situations in detail, I often find that their complaints hold little weight. For example, I asked someone I know who complained about problems with shipping to Canada to outline a typical issue. His "problem" was that a Priority package he sent several years ago took "two weeks" to arrive in Canada. This, despite the fact that the delivery service standard for Priority mail to Canada is STILL up to 10 business days. He was essentially complaining about having a package delivered on time, and perpetuating the same tired old myth.

Customs (Canada Border Services Agency):

There is a strong perception among people I talk to online that customs clearance on postal and courier imports to Canada often takes days (or weeks), and that packages are likely to be opened or damaged. Again, this is completely untrue. I can think of one specific situation where the customs office in Vancouver managed to get backed up during a Christmas rush for which they were unprepared. This is not typical in any way. In fact, I received the same fast postal service during the Christmas rush last December, with packages arriving FASTER, if anything. Customs clearance is almost always quick and easy. The CBSA does not routinely inspect the contents of packages entering Canada -- they are mainly interested in assessing the relevant duty and sales tax.

The same service can be expected with courier customs clearance. However, couriers like the contents of a package to be more clearly indicated for customs purposes. This is only an issue if you are seriously misrepresenting the contents of a package. UPS and FedEx have their own customs brokers, and packages are registered with customs before they've even reached Canada. Again, customs clearance is routine, packages are not generally inspected, etc. UPS guarantees a delivery standard on all of its services to Canada, and out of perhaps 30 shipments I've received, the only ones that deviated from this standard were one or two that UPS itself seriously mishandled.

BROKERAGE FEES
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

On regular postal shipments to Canada, you will pay your normal sales tax rate on the declared value (if over $20, or $60 for gifts), plus a $5 fee ($8 for EMS). Very few items a normal person is likely to order are dutiable, and even for the few that are, duty is not regularly charged since they are unlikely to be declared with the appropriate tariff code.

The situation is very similar for courier imports. On anything other than ground services, there isn't even a fee, so you simply pay the relevant tax/duty. As I'm sure you probably know, it is quite different for ground services like UPS Standard. I feel very strongly that UPS and other couriers are misleading the public when it comes to customs clearance on their ground services. The utterly ridiculous amounts they charge for clearance can significantly increase the cost of an item. In many cases, once these fees are added, it would have cost the same amount to have the item shipped by the relevant express service. UPS outlines its customs clearance charges on ground shipments here. I still see many posts by Canadians on this forum who do not understand the distinction between ground and air courier services.

The fact that so many sellers in the US still ship expensive items to Canada by UPS Standard is clearly indicative of a high level of ignorance when it comes to international shipping in general. I had a situation last year where I needed to order a part from a supplier, and even after getting a quote for USPS Priority, and making it VERY clear that I did not want it sent by UPS Standard because of brokerage fees, they "helpfully" sent it by UPS Standard because it was a few dollars cheaper. Had I not needed the item right away, I would have refused delivery on principal.

Jul 19, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #217 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the subject of tracking, I cannot emphasize more strongly that is completely untrue that tracking on Priority packages regularly takes days to show online.

I said I wouldn't post in this thread again but I am not going to let this pass.

Are you calling me a liar? Because if you are then I will PM the head-fiers in the European countries that I have shipped items to using USPS Priority Mail international and ask them to post here, and once they coroborate what I have said I will insist that either you or a moderator edit your post.

You want to post about your shipping experiences and disagree with someone else? I'm fine with that. But you are out of line by suggesting that others are being untruthful when you have no first-hand knowledge whatsoever of their shipping transactions. I don't need someone like you creating false expectations in people I might be dealing with on Head-Fi, and if this continues then I will just stop doing business with Head-Fiers outside of the United States.

--Jerome

Jul 19, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #219 of 243
i think it IS very useful for people to have accurate, factual information about both domestic and international shipping, and to not quote anecdotal statements, which may or may not even be true, or correctly understood.

It also seems to me that people 'undervalue' shipping and the associated costs. This is in no way intended as a defense of UPS, USPS, etc, just an observation about how some people react to shipping costs. With fuel prices at their current levels, shipping has gotten more expensive. While some vendors mark up their shipping costs, many do not (we don't, for example).

I'll stop rambling, and make the point I started this post to make, in the first place.

UPS includes their brokerage fees in their International express and expedited services, but not in their quoted rates for "ground" . It is true, therefore, that Ground services are slower, but may not be much less expensive, or even less expensive at all.

UPS does offer excellent tracking information, whereas I have had domestic priority mail packages delivered to me while their tracking site still says something like "we have received this package-- no further information"!

Jul 19, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #220 of 243
Alright- how about we all stop rambling.

-=Germania=- said if the tracking doesnt show anything by Wednesday this week, she'll file a claim.

Biggie has already posted the tracking that said it left Chicago, IL.

Now, if the package does not show up, a claim will be filed. Please stop the bickering!

Thanks and sorry for my ranting,

Spencer D.

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #223 of 243
Jul 20, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #225 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is a personal insult the best you have to offer? How very sad.

--Jerome

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, but your reading comprehension could use some work. Just saying.

Guys, just take it outside! No, seriously, let's try to keep the thread on topic, continue the discussion by PM or just start a new thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Resonant_Rebel=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright- how about we all stop rambling.

-=Germania=- said if the tracking doesnt show anything by Wednesday this week, she'll file a claim.

Biggie has already posted the tracking that said it left Chicago, IL.

Now, if the package does not show up, a claim will be filed. Please stop the bickering!

Thanks and sorry for my ranting,

Spencer D.

Dude, I don't think people will stop untiil Biggie either gets his amp or his money back. Germania's lack of communication and aproach to dealing with this subject is at least mediocre, so she will get noise going her way! You're new around here and might not have heard about other MOT's problems with their "amateur" business. Some people never got their money back... and we're talking 5 figures here... so it's natural people are fed up with crappy service from MOTs around here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back