Amp for M50. Need to buy one .
Jan 24, 2011 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ziweiwu

100+ Head-Fier
 what amp should I get for m50 ?   My budge is around 50 dollars. My home has like 3 receievers for home threater, are these can be used as headphone amplifer as well ? My source is a laptop.

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 18
I have a Fiio E5 and it works fine. But if I were you I would wait until March and get the E11 when it comes out. It's been promised to be no more than $60 and it will be probably be quite the bang for the buck. That is if you can wait that long :)

EDIT: Eh I accidently skipped over you saying your source is a laptop. The E11 will have no DAC so that's probably no good... :/

Quote:
 what amp should I get for m50 ?   My budge is around 50 dollars. My home has like 3 receievers for home threater, are these can be used as headphone amplifer as well ? My source is a laptop.

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 18
I preferd  external or usb powered amp . fiio 5 looks like amp uses battery. Yes I can wait till march. thanks for providing me the product recommendation. I never own an amp before so your input is great for me as a starter. Fiio looks like a good amp manufacture.

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 18
It should sound better than the onboard sound chip of the average laptop.

Here are a couple old threads discussing the Turtle Beach unit:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/257957/turtle-beach-audio-advantage-micro
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/177849/turtle-beach-advantage-micro-worthwhile-laptop-upgrade

If you find that your laptop's sound is quite bad, and need to fix it immediately, then it's hard to go wrong with this because of the price.

But if you can wait, then it will be worthwhile to save up for a DAC/amp that has analog volume control. Like the uDAC, E7, or HotAudio Bit Perfect.

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 18
You don't need an amp for the m50, that's why they're so popular... they sound good without. Save up, buy a proper amp and some proper headphones, stop playing around with toys. 
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
You don't need an amp for the m50, that's why they're so popular... they sound good without. Save up, buy a proper amp and some proper headphones, stop playing around with toys. 
tongue.gif

Yes, I can't believe no one has said this yet =p. I would strongly suggest against getting an amp for the m50s. I am nearly confident you will hear absolutely no difference amped and unamped which a sub $200 amp.

Enjoy your m50s, save up and get some new phones and an amp later.

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #12 of 18
Yes. The M50s sound great without any extra amping. But they will benefit from a better DAC than a laptop's onboard sound chip. That's why all my earlier suggestions have DACs built in.

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 18
I disagree. I find the bass lacking even with the bass boost EQ on my iPod. In my opinion, you need a decent amp with bass boost to get hip hop/trance to full potential.

Quote:
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back