Amp for j3?
Jan 19, 2011 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

chitman123

New Head-Fier
i have j3 +Um1
I wonder if any portable amp suit me as i find it very good when connecting my hi fi amp 

budget around $200 

or do i need to upgrade my earphone?

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
... The J3's headphone out is basically perfect when driving an external amp (i.e. no load, or near-infinite load), no need for an extra line out. :wink:

Quote:
... yes, the J3 doesn't distort at full volume, and comes close to the ceiling of what 16/44.1 can deliver, same as any professional sound card and such. It's what you see in the "no load" test I've linked in the post you quoted, the green measurements.

It might not deliver the exact nominal -10dBV consumer standard line-out voltage - but neither does any other MP3 player with a so-called line-out (especially not the fake "line-outs" on Sony players, the Cowon X5, and such).

What he said.

Also, an E7/E5 would only degrade the sound quality.  A T3 would probably be best if an amp is necessary at all, but I doubt it with the UM1.  Better earphones would bring more improvement than an amp for sure.

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:

Quote:
... The J3's headphone out is basically perfect when driving an external amp (i.e. no load, or near-infinite load), no need for an extra line out. :wink:

Quote:
... yes, the J3 doesn't distort at full volume, and comes close to the ceiling of what 16/44.1 can deliver, same as any professional sound card and such. It's what you see in the "no load" test I've linked in the post you quoted, the green measurements.

It might not deliver the exact nominal -10dBV consumer standard line-out voltage - but neither does any other MP3 player with a so-called line-out (especially not the fake "line-outs" on Sony players, the Cowon X5, and such).

What he said.

Also, an E7/E5 would only degrade the sound quality.  A T3 would probably be best if an amp is necessary at all, but I doubt it with the UM1.  Better earphones would bring more improvement than an amp for sure.

Can you explain why e7 or e5 would degrade the SQ while other amp would not??

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 9
They are too muddy and lacking transparency among other things plus they will hiss a bit with really sensitive earphones.  I get hiss just with my TF10 straight out of my J3, but adding one of those amps will just introduce more than there already is, and the J3's HP out is more refined than those amps.  I figure a T3 would be better and it is not much bigger from pics I have seen here, I know my Minibox-E+ completely massacres those little FiiOs.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 9
Thank you Mad Max for the quotes and comments.  Where my situation differ from chitman123 is that I use full-size headphones on my J3, like AKG k271 mkii and dt660.  But I guess your conclusion that the Fiios would only degrade the SQ probably stands, right?

If so, what amp would suit my setup best?  Thanks!

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 9
What is it with AKGs and the low sensitivity?  91 dB/mW?
They will benefit from a beefier amp.  DT660 as well.  There's the P4, D6, Stepdance, and more if you search.
You can probably scratch Minibox-ES off of the possibilities list for sure.  It will probably do well with the beyers, but not those AKGs.

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 9
That is correct.  So the k271 mkii probably needs more juice.  However P4 and D6 are beyond my budget.  I would try one of those T3 or T3Ds and see if it makes a difference.  If not, I'll just settle with no amps.  The AKGs and beyers sound great already on J3.  Thank you!

Feb 6, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 9
When needed I am using the iBasso D12 with HiFlights kit. It's a marriage made in heaven. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back