Amp for IEMs?
Oct 1, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #16 of 23
This thread hasn’t seen any action for a number of months, but as I ran across it I will weigh in. I agree that a DAP is probably the best bet for all but the least sensitive IEMs. There are lots of choices nowadays- Hiby, Shanling, Fiio- take your pick there are many reviews on the forum elsewhere. A good portable amplifier alternative to pair with a DAP is the Cayin C9, which accepts only analogue input (either as line in or acting as a power amp from the DAP to retain the DAP sound signature) but both single ended 3.5 mm and 4.4 mm balanced outputs. It has four modes of operation which includes the use (or not) of Korg NuTubes and class A or class AB solid state. It is pricey, but has the advantage of user replaceable batteries, which will extend its useful life for some years.

In terms of a desktop amplifier the new topping A90 discrete has 4.4 mm balanced and 6.35 mm SE outputs and despite claims by some can power IEM‘s without audible hiss, and in L gain with plenty of useable volume. There were reports of volume maxing out on IEMs on the earlier A90 at the lowest possible volume setting where there was some channel in balance, on the new discreet version the channel imbalance is gone and there is much more useable volume. I’m finding on IEMS with typical impedance (20-50 ohms), useable volume range is between 30 and 60 (A90D volume output range 0-100) on low gain. This is all when paired with the Topping D90 SE DAC, which has a preamplifier allowing reduction in output volume, though I am finding even at unity gain (0.00 Db) there is still plenty of useable volume for IEMs. Reviews of the A90D ,and I concur, report that the A90 discrete is much more dynamic in the bass/sub-bass region than the earlier A90. If you are really looking for a desktop unit, this is a pretty good choice. The other one to think about is the Singxser SA-1, which is also been very positively reviewed for use with IEMs.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #17 of 23
If you use the Monarch with a desktop amp, the only thing you'll lose is portability. Nowadays most Headphone amps have output impedance of >1ohm. The Asgard might be an overkill though, a magni/heresy would be more than enough.

Feb 20, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #18 of 23
Aren't DAPs strictly battery powered, portable products..? I would not want to worry about batteries for my home IEM system.

With my Topping A30 Pro, a handful of my IEMs had audible noise(higher sensitivity = more noise). With Topping A90D and Pro-Ject PreBox S2, there is zero noise. You can also just plug your IEMs directly into the DAC, using an RCA-to-female 3.5mm adapter, like I did for quite a while before owning an amp.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #19 of 23
Best sound I ever got out of IEMs has been from desktop amps - the Eddie Current 4-45 and the Luxman P1u, which I regret selling. I bought, then sold, an Astell & Kern Kann Alpha DAP, which was fatiguing, bordering on shrill. I’m using a Luxury & Precision W2 now for convenience and because it measures so well (as if that matters) but the sound quality is boring and lifeless in comparison to those desktop amps.

Mar 6, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #20 of 23
Hey,

So I'm picking up a set of Thieaudio Monarch MKII. Not my first go round with HiFi but it is my first foray into serious IEMs. I'm wondering if it's appropriate to use a headphone amp (e.g. Schiit Asgard with a 1/4" to 4.4mm adapter) for these or if I should instead get a DAP? What trade-offs am I making in going with a DAP instead of a desktop DAC/AMP setup? What benefits am I gaining in your view?

Any input is appreciated.
I'd get a DAP, but you do you. Some people like to run their IEMs from desktop setups. That's not my preference and I really enjoy the portability and sound that DAPs provide. Shanling makes some great one and so does HiBy.

Mar 6, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #21 of 23
I'd get a DAP, but you do you. Some people like to run their IEMs from desktop setups. That's not my preference and I really enjoy the portability and sound that DAPs provide. Shanling makes some great one and so does HiBy.
Agreed - my fav still is OG Hiby R8 which you can get on the used market or for even less the Cayin N6ii which has 6 different DAC modules for different ‘flavors’ Expect to pay $1000 at least to get a used flagship. Plenty of good reviews on different (newer) DAPs on this Forum.

In terms of SQ vs an Asgard you really aren’t losing anything but $- as a good DAP is 3-4x the price of a good basic desktop amp like the Asgard.

Another option is to go further ‘downmarket’ with something like an AQ Drogonfly which is even more mobile and a lot of folks swear by the Sq they produce.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #22 of 23
Agreed - my fav still is OG Hiby R8 which you can get on the used market or for even less the Cayin N6ii which has 6 different DAC modules for different ‘flavors’ Expect to pay $1000 at least to get a used flagship. Plenty of good reviews on different (newer) DAPs on this Forum.

In terms of SQ vs an Asgard you really aren’t losing anything but $- as a good DAP is 3-4x the price of a good basic desktop amp like the Asgard.
The Shanling M6 Ultra is fantastic and under 1k, while the iBasso DX240 has its charms for under 1k also.

Mar 14, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #23 of 23
For users of iems that want to use them in a home set up and looking into to a tube amp, my suggestion is look into a hybrid tube amp.

I good starter suggestion would be something like the Loxjie P20 or if wanting for something better the xDuoo TA20. I owned both these units before upgrading to the wells dragon and can recommend them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back