Amp for Grado Rs1i(probably hd650 or hd800 or LCD2 in the future)
Dec 7, 2010 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

brobilly

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I just bought a used RA1 for my RS1i, but unfortunately it is somehow broken, so I am considering to buy a new amp for my RS1i.
I did some research and currently here are the candidates:
1. Decware CSP2+
2. Mapletree Audio Design Ear+ HD
3. Purity Audio KICAS Caliente

and probably, I am going to buy the senn hd650s or hd800s, or the Audeze LCD2 in the future, so I want the amp also work great with them, please give me some advice, thanks

and btw, what's the difference between the tube amps and solid amps?

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 10
I own the second and third amps on your list. While the KICAS is no slouch with Grados, the Ear+ HD is sonic nirvana. A highly recommended pairing, especially with the appropriate tubes (I like 5751s or, even better, RCA 7025s).

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
..... with Grados, the Ear+ HD is sonic nirvana.

I'm with Ben on this one!
L3000.gif

Dec 8, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 10
I also like an amp for the wooden Grado with upgrade option, and have been considering the DNA Sonett. However I am not so sure if it has any advantage over the EAR + HD given the magical synergy of the combo many referred.

Dec 8, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 10
EAR+ HD "Output power: 100 mW" = does not say into how many Ohms - but is that going to be enough to drive the LCD-2 ?

Quote:
I own the second and third amps on your list. While the KICAS is no slouch with Grados, the Ear+ HD is sonic nirvana. A highly recommended pairing, especially with the appropriate tubes (I like 5751s or, even better, RCA 7025s).

Dec 8, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
EAR+ HD "Output power: 100 mW" = does not say into how many Ohms - but is that going to be enough to drive the LCD-2 ?

Quote:

I own both and the answer is definitely yes! With a 12AX7 tube, the MAD Ear+HD drives the LCD-2s very well at only 11 o'clock ish on my volume dial. The mids are very lush and organic. A great pairing to my ears. I do prefer my Concerto overall, but not by much.

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 10
As per Macedonian's recommendation I got the Meier Concerto and it paired very well (so far in the first 2 days) with my HD650 and T1.. and apparently it pairs very well with the LCD-2 as well. From my research into a new amp the one thing everyone agreed on based on reviews is that the Concerto does very well with a very wide range of headphones and their different impendances/signatures.

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
As per Macedonian's recommendation I got the Meier Concerto and it paired very well (so far in the first 2 days) with my HD650 and T1.. and apparently it pairs very well with the LCD-2 as well. From my research into a new amp the one thing everyone agreed on based on reviews is that the Concerto does very well with a very wide range of headphones and their different impendances/signatures.

Glad you like the Concerto. I am a huge fan and it does pair very well with my LCD-2s, T1, HD800s, and Ed. 8s. How's that for a versatile amp?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back