Amp for Grado RS1 and Senn HD650
Jun 10, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #16 of 27
I have an M^3 with a bass boost that sounds very warm, almost tubey. I regularly use it with my RS-1s. It's a very flexible arrangement. With the low-impedence Grados, I only have to turn it up halfway to get more than I need. With higher-impedence cans, you'd keep dialing but the gain should be sufficient to power them as well. For me, it's important that there be enough bass to establish "presence" but clean, tight, bass - not the boomy stuff that ruins the rest of the ride. I need clarity, without shrillness. This M^3 is velvety, providing great bass (earth-shattering if I need it) and great HF without sibilance. I've got the parts for a three-channel B22, but until I get it built, this M^3 will work just fine - which is more than I can say for a lot of junk in pretty boxes.

Jun 10, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #17 of 27
£400 almost buys you a Mapletree Ear + HD, less shipping and import taxes. The HD has as standard high and low impedance outputs, so you can drive Senns and Grados at the same time, at comparible volumes (although seperately each will work in the 'wrong' output). It sounds great with Grados, and i think i read somewhere that the good doctor used senns when designing it, but i could be mistaken.

Jun 14, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #19 of 27
I read somewhere that a guy opened up an RA1 and found a circuit as simple as a Cmoy. Is that unfair or are you just paying for a mahogany box?

Jun 14, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #20 of 27
RA1 is a simpler circuit than CMOY, CMOY has virtual ground, RA1 uses battery divider.
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read somewhere that a guy opened up an RA1 and found a circuit as simple as a Cmoy. Is that unfair or are you just paying for a mahogany box?

So it's not worth it to pay good money for a simple Pass design in a nice box? Think about it.

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #23 of 27
Ok Guys,

I have gone for a Graham Slee Solo, as I can return it if it is not quite to my liking!

Watch this space...

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberburger101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new Solo SRG?

Yes, and I have just had an email to let me know that it has been delivered, I cannot wait to get home!

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #27 of 27
uber and I have the Same friend using the Solo. And he was using both the RS1 and the HD650 on it with very good results. =)

Just a tip. Get the PSU1 w/ your solo. The PSU1 will really give you the maximum performance on your solo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back