Amp for Grado RS1 and Senn HD650
Jun 7, 2009 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

hughwi

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am currently doing very little travelling that warrants the use of the Pico and HD650/RS1, and for any short journeys I am more than content with the NE-7M's straight out of the iPhone. As such, I am looking to upgrade my main rig at home.

I recently acquired a pair of RS1's (having got rid of the 325is that I found just a little to harsh/sibilant with the Pico) and have found myself using them more and more instead of the HD650's.

For headphone listening I use the Pico straight out of my laptop, I really like the resolution and soundstage it produces, however I feel the oversampling can on occasions be a little harsh, especially when combined with a hot / badly mastered rock album and the grados. I also know, as a portable amp, it does not really have the juice to power the HD650's properly, although it does a decent enough job on high gain.

For speaker listening I use a HagUSB to SPDIF converter to feed a Beresford TC-7510 Dac and amp/speakers, and feel this is of sufficient quality to add a dedicated headphone amp into the chain.

I have previously owned a Little Dot II and from the time I spent with that amp, I got a small glimpse of what the HD650's can produce when given a little more power. I also feel I should be doing the RS1s a little bit more of a service, considering their price!

My question to you more knowledgeable folk, is whether or not I can find an amp that performs for both of these rather different headphones? I know I am asking a lot, and if I had to pick a phone to prioritise, it would be the RS1.

I mainly listen to classic rock and blues as FLAC CD rips. If you need any pointers on my sound signature preference, I have recently aquired an Audiolab 8000 amp and a pair of monitor audio speakers, to replace a Marantz setup, as I felt it was a little too slow and warm for rock (ACDC, The Black Keys, Pink Floyd, Procol Harum, etc), but I do not want anything more revealing/analytical than my current Pico!

Another thing to consider is that I have a pair of HF-2's on order, and am considering getting a pair of AKG 601's at a future date (had a pair of 401s and liked them alot). I currently only own single ended sources and phones, and I cant see that changing anytime soon!

Assuming I sell the Pico, my budget is going to be up to £400, I am not adverse to the idea of a solid state amp, but have to say tubes may be the way to go, as I would prefer something that gives me options in the future (I see tube rolling as a major plus point).

Thanks for your time!

Hugh

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 27
You've got several good options... but... since you're in the UK... you might want to give serious consideration to the GS Solo SRG - which is in your general price range... maybe a bit more. Its great with Grados, Denons, ATHs, Senns...

And... I think... if you're in the UK, GS has a return policy - so you can try it and see if you like it... and return it if you don't.

Or... the MF X-CAN v8 is really great with low impedance phones.

Or... the Whiplash Audio Millett Minimax is great also!

You'll be very pleased with any of these!

Jun 8, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 27
It is a little over your budget, but consider the Sonett from Don North Audio. It's transformer coupled and can switch between 28 Ohms (IIRC) and the 120 Ohm standard. It'll drive Grados or Sennheisers by flicking a switch. I believe they're wired for the US, but you could probably ask Don to substitute an appropriate power transformer for you.

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #5 of 27
Thanks for the heads up on the GS Solo, I have just found out that there is an official supplier around the corner from me, so I am going to head down there soon and try and get a listen to one. I may still be holding out for some tubes!

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 27
I have HD650 and pair it with pico w/DAC, Corda opera and Lavry DA10. But I personally think pico is the best
smily_headphones1.gif
(also very portable)

Jun 10, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 27
I have to second the millett miniMAX. I have the Whiplash build and I think it really makes the HD650s shine. I have more tubes coming to see how it handles with different gains and vendors.

I have a Grado SR225i, but, I have not spent a lot of time listening to the miniMAX using those phones. Once I get a set of 12FK6 tubes, I will give it a serious listen and let you know what I think. I realize these are not the RS-1, but, should give me a better idea of how the amp performs with low-impedance Grados.

BTW, so far, my favorite Grado amp is straight out of my iPod Touch while sitting in the backyard sipping a cool, adult beverage! However, environment might be a big factor in that particular situation!! :wink:

jk

Jun 10, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by hughwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the heads up on the GS Solo, I have just found out that there is an official supplier around the corner from me, so I am going to head down there soon and try and get a listen to one. I may still be holding out for some tubes!

Well... keep in mind... its only 425 GBP via the "On-line Shop" at GSA...

Solo SRG Headphone Amplifier: Solo Studio Reference Green Headphone Amplifier

And... they have a return policy.

I can pretty well assure you... you will not miss the tubes with the Solo SRG.

Though... if you must try tubes in the UK in a value priced amp - there are very few that are any better, than the DV332 / DV3322 amps, at anywhere near their price. Though... I'd certainly... put the Millett MiniMax in that class - which is slightly better with low impedance phones, such as the RS-1s, than the DV amps.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or... the MF X-CAN v8 is really great with low impedance phones.

Hi, I don't mean to derail this thread or anything but I am curious (I'm a huge noob), what makes an amp better for low or high impedance headphones? Is there something in particular or do you just know from experience that the MF X-CAN v8 works well with them?

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happybottle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I don't mean to derail this thread or anything but I am curious (I'm a huge noob), what makes an amp better for low or high impedance headphones? Is there something in particular or do you just know from experience that the MF X-CAN v8 works well with them?

Well... I do know from experience with the v8, and other amps, and my sources and phones.

But... also... low impedance phones need high current output, and generally very low output impedance from an amp. As I recall, the v8 has about 2 ohms output impedance, or less. Most SS amps have very low output impedance, and high current output. Some tube/SS hybrids, and some tube amps do also. Transformer coupled tube amps are generally better with low impedance phones, than OTL (output transformerless) tube amps, though some OTL tube amps, drive low impedance phones fairly well (if they provide enough current output for the particular phones).

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkJake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to second the millett miniMAX. I have the Whiplash build and I think it really makes the HD650s shine. I have more tubes coming to see how it handles with different gains and vendors.

I have a Grado SR225i, but, I have not spent a lot of time listening to the miniMAX using those phones. Once I get a set of 12FK6 tubes, I will give it a serious listen and let you know what I think. I realize these are not the RS-1, but, should give me a better idea of how the amp performs with low-impedance Grados.

BTW, so far, my favorite Grado amp is straight out of my iPod Touch while sitting in the backyard sipping a cool, adult beverage! However, environment might be a big factor in that particular situation!! :wink:

jk

The SR225s will sound great with the MiniMax - they sound almost identical to the RS-1s.

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well... I do know from experience with the v8, and other amps, and my sources and phones.

But... also... low impedance phones need high current output, and generally very low output impedance from an amp. As I recall, the v8 has about 2 ohms output impedance, or less. Most SS amps have very low output impedance, and high current output. Some tube/SS hybrids, and some tube amps do also. Transformer coupled tube amps are generally better with low impedance phones, than OTL (output transformerless) tube amps, though some OTL tube amps, drive low impedance phones fairly well (if they provide enough current output for the particular phones).

Hrmm, I'm a bit confused. What little I know about electricity mixed together with common sense tells me that if a headphone has low impedance that it would need less current to equal a headphone with high impedance and high current, since impedance hinders current.

Am I totally wrong there?

BTW, thanks for taking time out to explain this
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happybottle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hrmm, I'm a bit confused. What little I know about electricity mixed together with common sense tells me that if a headphone has low impedance that it would need less current to equal a headphone with high impedance and high current, since impedance hinders current.

Am I totally wrong there?

BTW, thanks for taking time out to explain this
smily_headphones1.gif

Low output impedance means the amp offers little resistance to current output - allowing more current to flow. Low impedance phones offer lower impedance to current flow, but they still need lots of current to drive them properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back