Amp for Grado PS1000
Jul 6, 2010 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

bsame

New Head-Fier
What amp would be a good pairing with the PS1000? I would be using them with an ipod through a lod. I tried to search through the forums but there are so many choices and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Jul 6, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 53
i dont think you should be amping anything in that price range with a portable amp.

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 53
Save your money, given that your source is merely ipod, any investment on amp is not worth it.
Ipod should be able to provide you enough volume for now.
Wait till you can get the budget for a good source AND amp for the next step.

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 53
I am currently listening to PS1000 using HiFiMAN 801 as source and Hifiman EF5 as amp (with good NOS tube.)

It sounds quite good ...
But I have the same question - what amp for PS1000.
I tried SET - it was not a good match in the bass department ...

Cheers
Sunil.

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 53
I can (theoretically) think of a PS1000 as a three-way spreaker that needs to be biamped - Solid state for bass and tubes (possibly SET) on top and mids ...
beyersmile.png

Jul 10, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #9 of 53
Quote:

What amp would be a good pairing with the PS1000? I would be using them with an ipod through a lod.

I just picked up a Matrix M-Stage for $280 including shipping from eBay. It's not a portable amp though it is small enough to pack with you while travelling. I use this amp along with my Sony X1060 as a mobile listening rig (I travel 50% for my job). I actually like this amp better than my Melos (before it was seriously modded - and with the overly warm Sony X as source w/ the PS1000). A good amp will better bring out details and low-level information, increase impact and control of bass, and extend frequency extreme. The improvements are subtle, but noticeable.  [Another amp that is getting a lot of buzz is the Schiit Asgard]

One of the great things about the PS1000 is that it works well straight out of portable players - the midrange stays pretty sweet.

After you get an amp, you can upgrade your source. There is no shame in running an iPod through a desktop amp to power expensive phones. Lots of headfi'ers do it - more than they will care to outright admit - probably because they may be subjected to embarrassment and ridicule from the more "sophisticated." 

Finally, Sunil is right on the spot when he says the PS1000 should be amped with SS on the bottom and tubes on the top. Unfortunately this isn't possible on headphones. Personally, I'm tending toward SS for the PS1000 because I like the extension, impact, and control of bass (over the romantic midrange of tubes) that SS offers.

Jul 10, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #10 of 53
I am in a similar predicament. I have not yet purchased an amp or headphones, but I'm set on the PS1000's. There are a few vendors who carry amps and the grado line that are willing to give package prices, but my uncertainty in amp purchase is still holding me back.

The Ear HP4 seems to be a hit (too expensive for my tastes and I'm hesitant to buy used), and the Cary Xciter is another one that supposedy pairs up well.

Bsame, what is your price range and do you have a preference for tubes vs SS?

Jul 10, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #11 of 53
Speaking of Ear HP4 and Cary Xciter, I've heard the Luxman P1u works well with PS1000s too. 
regular_smile .gif
 But ya, what is your price range? I wouldn't go for tubes for PS1000 if you are not willing to be spending at least ~$2000.

Jul 10, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #12 of 53

Quote:
... but my uncertainty in amp purchase is still holding me back.

LOL, just go for it. The PS1000s perform decently un-amped. Just get a cheap high performing midrange amp and take your time (go to meets, etc.) to find out which megabuck amp (and source) you want to get later on.

Jul 10, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #13 of 53

Quote:
Speaking of Ear HP4 and Cary Xciter, I've heard the Luxman P1u works well with PS1000s too. 
regular_smile .gif
 But ya, what is your price range? I wouldn't go for tubes for PS1000 if you are not willing to be spending at least ~$2000.

The P1-u does look very enticing. If I had to choose any SS amp without considering the price this would definitely be it.

Quote:
LOL, just go for it. The PS1000s perform decently un-amped. Just get a cheap high performing midrange amp and take your time (go to meets, etc.) to find out which megabuck amp (and source) you want to get later on.

You are probably right. I can either get the ALO amphora + PS1000 for $2345 or the WA6SE + PS1000 for $2545. I should probably pull the trigger on one of those then just upgrade later on when I know more what I want. Thanks for the advice purrin!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back