AMP for DT880 - 600 ohm
Nov 17, 2010 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nOoneNL

Head-Fier
Well hello there!

I'm new in the wonderfull world of HIFI land and need some help...
I've been listening to my Senn HD595 for a few years now and decided to upgrade.
So I bought a Beyerdynamics DT880 - 600 ohm and am now looking for an amp to power this baby.

I've read pretty much every forum about amps for the DT880 and it's kinda making my head spin.
Tons of amp names and not a clue wich one to choose. I live in the Netherlands and there's no place around here where I can listen to amps an compare them (SS vs. tube)... They only sell Musical Fidelity around here. Are the V8p or M1 any good?

I've heard that tubes sound better with the 880 (but maybe more expensive, 'cause of tube replacement?), but I might get some Denons in the future so maybe an SS a safer buy?

I'm willing to spend about 300 - 500 euro's (about 600 - 700 dollars).

Any tips are very, very welcome!

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 11
sub'd

I'm interested to see what you decide, I'm in the market for an amp for my 880's also.

As it stands though my heart is set on the Little Dot MKIV. I've read nothing but good things about this combination and as for the added expense of a tube amp vs SS, yes there's the cost of replacement tubes, but i really think you can make it as expensive or inexpensive as you like, i mean a set of Mullard M8100 is €15 euro on eBay.

That being said I've read an awful lot of good things about Meier amps as well, its my understanding they are designed with Beyerdynamic's in mind so no doubt its a safe bet!

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 11
Thank you all for the replies! 
biggrin.gif

I must say, as a new guy, I'm really liking this forum!

Ok, so the  HA-160 seems like a pretty solid amp, it gets some good reviews and man, it looks cool!
I've also heard some good things about the Meier Concerto and this is definitely on my wishlist.

I've been leaning towards SS, mainly because of the idea of a getting some Denons, and excuse me if I'm wrong, but I thought a SS amp maybe more all-round and therefore a safer buy.

But things took a turn for me, as I came across a used Little Dot MK III. I've read about the Little Dots and was pretty interested in these sweet little amps, but the tube thing seems to have bothered me somehow. This would not be a problem, because for about $200 I get the amp and lots and lots of tubes (the tubes alone are worth more than the 200 bucks), 
so I'll be stocked for years with this buy! 
L3000.gif

In time I'll propably want more out of my DT880's + my future Denons and buy an amp along the lines the Meier Concerto, Audio GD - The Roc, a Rudistor or maybe a GS-1. And who knows, maybe I'm so pleased with my MKIII, I'll buy a MKIV SE 
tongue.gif

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #7 of 11
hey nOoneNL,

that sounds like a great deal you've got going there, be sure to let us know if it all goes according to plan! i pulled the trigger this morning and am just waiting on a reply from David at Little Dot to get the ball rolling on my MK IV order. I can't wait!

I had some concerns about the added cost of tubes as well, but from what i can gather so far the Power tubes have a quite a long life span and the Driver tubes can last anywhere between 1000-4000 depending on condition and how nice you are to them. Which at its minimum is over just over 40 days of continuous listening...

Anyway hopefully you'll be extremely happy with the MK III, if the vast majority of posts about it are anything to go on, I'm sure you will!
beyersmile.png

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #8 of 11
I've interested in a pair of 880/600s but ATM haven't decided on a desktop amp. Does anyone know if a RSA SR-71A will get me anywhere in the meantime? Anyone tried the combo?

Dec 9, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 11
Interesting - I am also thinking of pairing the DT880 - 600 ohm with the SR-71A and also the HR-2 in the future. What scares me away from this is the very high impedance needed to run these -- 600 ohms...because I really want to get a great pair of hi-end cans to go with my RSA amps....

Right now I use the SHURE SRH 840s with the SR-71A but I think that for my next purchase of the HR-2 from Ray Samuels - I want a higher end can. I think the DT880 600 ohm version maybe the ticket.

I also need experience advice regarding the impedance...

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #11 of 11
Did you mean the RSA amps? Well - I have heard since the last post I made on this thread - that both the SR-71A and the HR-2 should have no problem driving the DT880 - 600 ohm headphones. That being the case - the HR-2 would be much more comfortable doing so .....

I assume the same would be said for the DT770 - 600 ohms...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back