Amp for DT-990 pro (or 770 if I happen to change my mind) 100-200$ price range (also DIY and tinkering is fun)
Aug 19, 2010 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

warbaque

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for a new headphones and amplifier for them. I really liked Beyerdynamics DT-770, DT-880 and DT-990 2005 editions. How do those compare to older versions? From those I tested, 990 was my favourite, while I also liked 770 closed design despite it's flaws.

I really appreciated mids and clearness of DT-990 over DT-770. Since I only tested 2005 editions, I do not know if my results would be similar with older PROs.  
DT-770 + Closed Design
   + Cuts you from outside world
   + Less sound leaking
- Closed Design
   - Cuts you from outside world, I find it hard to speak with other people with these on. You can't hear your own voice, which makes it annoying. (minor annoyance)
- Too pronounced lows (because of closed design?)

DT-990
+ Overall more pleasing sound
+ Open Design
   + Airier
- Open Design
   - Might affect your social life and irritate people around you because of sound leakage

Phones will be used for gaming (40%), video (30%) and music (30% and most likely increases since it sounded so damn good)

Phones were tested with A.N.T Amber 3 and Beyerdynamics A1 amplifiers. I have to admit that I heard minimal to none difference between these two. They sounded quite neutral to me.

I already ordered DT-990 PROs since they are rather affordable right now, but I still might change to DT-770 Pro if people think it would be better value for money. Cost: 770 145+12€ (from Thomann) and 990 149+0€ (from local store)

Anyway, which amp should I choose with these?  
I've thought about getting either one of these.
Phenix G3
LDMK2
Or some DIY project
CK2III
CTH
Bijou

I should propably add that I'll be running these from my Audigy 4 that, as far I've been told, doesn't have too spectacular DAC in it.

Aug 27, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 9
I'd like to hear differences especially between Phenix G3 and The Bijou.

I've heard that The Bijou is better of the two, but it also costs about twice as much. Is it that much better?

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 9
I might suggest you consider adding the Woo 3 to your list of potentials.  Great amp.  They pop up in the for sale section every now and then.  The Woo 3 pairs very nicely with Beyer cans of 250 ohms or greater.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
I might suggest you consider adding the Woo 3 to your list of potentials.  Great amp.  They pop up in the for sale section every now and then.  The Woo 3 pairs very nicely with Beyer cans of 250 ohms or greater.

I've looked at that and while it certainly looks very interesting it also costs 3 to 5 times more than other options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back