Amp for DT 770 and Monoprices?
Jun 27, 2012 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

LastAmbition

New Head-Fier
Hello. I am new to the audiophile community and recently i have ordered the Dt 770 pro 80's as my first I guess, "entry-midrange level headphones." I have read a lot of reviews about amp/dac options for them but Im kinda confused about what I need. I heard that to get the most out of the DT's I will need an amp and maybe a dac for my laptop. I have a 2010 acer aspire laptop. It has "Realtek High Definition Audio" on it. I will also be using it for my ipod touch 2nd gen and for gaming on my PS3. I also want portability because when Im in college im always going somewhere whether it be the library, my friend's place, class, etc. I was leaning towards either the Fiio E11 or E7. Both are just at my price range. Would I need the E7 dac portion for my laptop or a desktop at the library? Or would it be more beneficial to just go with the pure E11 amp? Also, i currently use monoprice 8323s and 8320s. Would those benefit from an amp/dac also? thank you for helping.

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Hello. I am new to the audiophile community and recently i have ordered the Dt 770 pro 80's as my first I guess, "entry-midrange level headphones." I have read a lot of reviews about amp/dac options for them but Im kinda confused about what I need. I heard that to get the most out of the DT's I will need an amp and maybe a dac for my laptop. I have a 2010 acer aspire laptop. It has "Realtek High Definition Audio" on it. I will also be using it for my ipod touch 2nd gen and for gaming on my PS3. I also want portability because when Im in college im always going somewhere whether it be the library, my friend's place, class, etc. I was leaning towards either the Fiio E11 or E7. Both are just at my price range. Would I need the E7 dac portion for my laptop or a desktop at the library? Or would it be more beneficial to just go with the pure E11 amp? Also, i currently use monoprice 8323s and 8320s. Would those benefit from an amp/dac also? thank you for helping.

The laptop would benefit from a USB-DAC-Amp. (Fiio E10 or E7)
You can't really add an external DAC (for under $150) to the iPod,  the Fiio E11 (amp only) works best there.
The PS3 would best work with an optical input-external DAC-Amp, like the Astro Mix-amp. (headphone surround sound).

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
The laptop would benefit from a USB-DAC-Amp. (Fiio E10 or E7)
You can't really add an external DAC (for under $150) to the iPod,  the Fiio E11 (amp only) works best there.
The PS3 would best work with an optical input-external DAC-Amp, like the Astro Mix-amp. (headphone surround sound).

i guess the E7 is the best choice since I need it for both my laptop and ipod?  should I go ahead and also buy the L9 LOD? Also I cant afford another amp to use just for my ps3. Should i plug my headphones straight into the TV headphone jack (22" Phillips HD) or plug it in to the ps3? Should I use the E7 on my tv/ps3 too? Im sorry for all the questions. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
i guess the E7 is the best choice since I need it for both my laptop and ipod?  should I go ahead and also buy the L9 LOD? Also I cant afford another amp to use just for my ps3. Should i plug my headphones straight into the TV headphone jack (22" Phillips HD) or plug it in to the ps3? Should I use the E7 on my tv/ps3 too? Im sorry for all the questions. 

You can plug your iPod into the line input jack on the E7 (Fiio L cable).
With the PS3 you could run analog from the PS3s RCA outputs to the line in on the E7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back