Amp for Denon D7000, SS amp or tube amp is better for D7000?
Aug 13, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #16 of 26
My 2c: I prefer my D7000 on the SS Audio gd Roc to my LD MI IV SE. My 'cheapo' tubes doesn't play well w the Denon. The Roc ads PRAT that the low end tube misses.

I agree that a more high end tube amp might work though.

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #17 of 26
I'm currently using an Elekit TU-882 tube amp with my D7000s.  For the longest time I thought that it sounded fantastic, but now comparing the output with the D7000s versus my Beyer DT770s, the D7000s sound pretty weak.  The sound is still detailed and refined, but seems to be lacking oomph.  My next step may be to try out a solid state amp, but keep the tube amp.  That way I have an amp for whatever flavor I'm in the mood for :)

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #18 of 26
Tube rolling can really change the entire sound of a headphone.  It all depends on your amp, but certain tubes add authority and oomph to the music while other tubes provide a softer sound.  Someone on these forums (perhaps Seamaster) said that if you could only use the stock tubes with the WA22, then it would not be worth the money.  That's why tube rolling is so important; if you don't like the sound, you can shape it to your liking.  It is true that the WA22 w/ stock tubes doesn't even compare to the WA22 w/ good tubes.

I guess a way to say this, is that if you want a sure thing then go with a decent SS amp.  If you're willing to take chances and the time needed to get the sound you want, go with a tube amp.

Aug 14, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #19 of 26
That  is what is great about a tube amp. Every tube sounds different. I am doing that now with my amp. Eventually I will find the best combo. Whats great when you get bored you can change the sound by flipping tubes again. I seen that with the D7000 as how it really changes the sound and now I think I have it where I really like it with the tube amp better than the SS

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #20 of 26

Quote:

The only SS 'amp' I've heard them on is an old Kenwood receiver.  It had no problem driving them and they sounded great, but from what I can remember my tube amp destroys it. 

Typically though the amps in receivers are "after thoughts" and not very good. I would give them a try with a stand alone desktop SS headphone amp....just for kicks.

BTW, Dark Side of the Moon is number #1 on my all time favourite album list. I must have listened to it once a month for the past 25 years. Just brilliant.

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #21 of 26
I have 5 desktop amplifiers and only one of them is a pure solid state design - the BCL.  Running out of the Bryston for a source - the D7000 has the most tightly controlled bass with the BCL - the difference was not slight.  YMMV.

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #22 of 26
D7000s are easy to drive, I am pretty happy use them with my wa2 and ld mk3, both sound great. the best amp with d7000 have heard so far is rudistor r010b mk2 with balanced outs.

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #23 of 26

I am so glad I stumbled across this thread. I had been thinking of buying a Woo WA6 to use with my D7000's and W5000's, as I had always understood that low impedance phones don't work well with OTL tube amps. I have the CSP2+, and will now be cranking it up with the D7000's to try it out. What an idiot - I can't believe I was thinking about buying another amp without even trying them!!

What is the best set of tubes do you think that suits the D7000? I am also using the Decware with HD650's and DT770/600's. 

Quote:
I have the D7000 and the Decware CSP2  which does really well with the right tubes like the battleship ready Sovtek 6922 and a Sylvania 5U4G. It did not do well when I used the 6DJ8 instead of 6922. My SS  Matrix drives them very easily and sounds great. You can use a tube amp but keep in mind the low impedance will really be hard on the tubes IMO. So I guess what ever your preference is if you like tubes go with the right amp. Decware new amp has amp adjustments so you can tune your cans and Steve told me they would drive anything on the planet.

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #24 of 26

Quote:
I am so glad I stumbled across this thread. I had been thinking of buying a Woo WA6 to use with my D7000's and W5000's, as I had always understood that low impedance phones don't work well with OTL tube amps. I have the CSP2+, and will now be cranking it up with the D7000's to try it out. What an idiot - I can't believe I was thinking about buying another amp without even trying them!!

What is the best set of tubes do you think that suits the D7000? I am also using the Decware with HD650's and DT770/600's. 

when I had the W5000, the best tube tubes combo is EML 5U4G and 6EW7.

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #25 of 26

Quote:

In the end the SS Matrix worked best when I had the D7000. The low impedance was difficult on the CSP-2 it played but the Matrix had the synergy. SS amp or a transformer based tube amp will work best. The overachiever Matrix was the best IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back