Amp for Denon AH-D2000
Jan 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

slovell

New Head-Fier
Thinking of getting an amp for my Denon 25 ohm phones. I'm presently running them through the headphone input on my Marantz AV-7005. I've been looking at the Schitt models and the Matrix M-Stage. Would any of these match well , or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks, Sam

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 37
ah this is interesting. i was looking for an amp (and still am)
at the moment i'm leaning towards the schitt asgard or valhalla and gonna couple it with HRT MS II.

i'm just sorry i couldn't really be much help as i'm looking myself. but as far as i can see, schitt are currently making some good and cheap schitt (sorry i couldn't help myself) at the moment.

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 37
haha xD in all seriousness no doubt is it one of the best bang for buck amps there, some say it competes with crazy amps like the Burson Audio HA-160D, and the asgard only just comes up short. not sure how much i believe those claims, but its being posted around enough to make it semi-believable. well worth shooting for i'd say :wink:

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 37
Depending on price range I'd suggest the E9 for budget choices, and Yulong D100 if you've got more to spend. The Yulong was my favorite pairing with the AH D series.

Whatever you get stick with SS and you'll be okay. They didn't pair well with any tube amp I tried them on.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #6 of 37
The Yulong looks very interesting, I'm a sucker for VU meters. I read a really good review of it on this site, very informative. The reviewer stated that is was sort of a toss up between it and the Matrix. MMMMMM, VU meters.
Regards, Sam

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 37
i think the LYR can control the denon d2000 well, if u must have some tubes...its a hybrid amp.
Otherwise s/s is a safer bet, but i wont go the path of burson...its too sonorous for me,
the asgard is a better choice if i were to choose between these two solids.
it has better BITE...GRIP on the bass of the denons.
popcorn.gif

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 37
I don't necessarily have to have tubes. I 'm already using a tubed Jolida phono stage and a Musical Fidelity X10-D tubed buffer stage with my CD player. IMHO opinion I should probably go with a SS headphone amp. One can maybe have too many tubes in the circuit, of course I could also be wrong about that. I'm trying to keep my budget under $500.
Regards, Sam

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #9 of 37
You definitely want SS for the D2000. They have a tendancy to get floppy when tubes comes into the mix.

Most people I've seen agree. They're fantastic with a good SS amp.

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 37
I wouldn't get the Lyr unless you like your sound with an extra helping of hiss/hum. The Denons are too noisy off the Lyr. Trust me.

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 37
I'm still waiting on my C-2.2, and I do believe they will be a perfect match. SS amp with loads of clean, noise free power. 4.5 watts @ 25ohm!

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C-2new/C2.2EN.htm

Audio GD stuff is well regarded here.

I ordered it with the NFB 3.1 (for synergy and ACSS), but if you're using your own DAC, I'd suggest buying the Earth op-amps for neutral sound. Hell, I bought the Earth op-amps for my RCA inputs anyways.

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #13 of 37
I think the very low Impedance of the D2000's mean the dampening and frequency response will be greatly compromised by any source with an output impedance greater than around 3 ohms.

This means compromised Bass performance, and an overall frequency response graph for the sonic output of the headphones that is nothing like what the designers intended. For some this can be a good thing: some love Tube amps (which typically have very, very high output impedance, and therefore change the sound to be "warmer"). 

Personally I like output impedance to stay below the point where frequency response, dampening, and bass quality all suffer. Some say this output threshold is 1/8th the headphone impedance; so high impedance phones can have higher impedance sources without quality loss and vice-versa. Hence my initial suggestion.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 37
I love the EF5 (2-2k ohm output) with my D7000s, but what do I know? It's not all tube though, just for the input, so it still has some SS bite to it.

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #15 of 37
I currently am powering my D2000s with the E7/E9 combo.  I am looking for an upgrade.  Hadn't considered the Yulong D100, it's a bit more money than I wanted to spend.  How does it stack up to the Audio-gd NFB 12?  Which is half the price of the Yulong

EDIT: Just discovered the Shiit Asgard.  I've heard a lot of good things about this company and a new one is only $250.  Any input is appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back