Amp for Denon AH-D2000
Jan 26, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #16 of 37

Quote:
I currently am powering my D2000s with the E7/E9 combo.  I am looking for an upgrade.  Hadn't considered the Yulong D100, it's a bit more money than I wanted to spend.  How does it stack up to the Audio-gd NFB 12?  Which is half the price of the Yulong

EDIT: Just discovered the Shiit Asgard.  I've heard a lot of good things about this company and a new one is only $250.  Any input is appreciated

Don't you mean Shiit Assgard?

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #17 of 37

One thing to consider about the Asgard is that it wouldn't provide a DAC upgrade. The D100 and NFB 12 would.

Another thing to consider about the NFB 12 is the limited feature set on it. The D100 has balanced and unbalanced Line Outs, along with AES in (not present on the NFB 12), and has a similar filter system, too.

Not sure about a sound comparisson as I'm in the minority of 'not audio gd fans'. There's probably a comparisson somewhere though.
Quote:
I currently am powering my D2000s with the E7/E9 combo.  I am looking for an upgrade.  Hadn't considered the Yulong D100, it's a bit more money than I wanted to spend.  How does it stack up to the Audio-gd NFB 12?  Which is half the price of the Yulong

EDIT: Just discovered the Shiit Asgard.  I've heard a lot of good things about this company and a new one is only $250.  Any input is appreciated

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #18 of 37

Quote:
One thing to consider about the Asgard is that it wouldn't provide a DAC upgrade. The D100 and NFB 12 would.

Another thing to consider about the NFB 12 is the limited feature set on it. The D100 has balanced and unbalanced Line Outs, along with AES in (not present on the NFB 12), and has a similar filter system, too.

Not sure about a sound comparisson as I'm in the minority of 'not audio gd fans'. There's probably a comparisson somewhere though.

Well, my new asgard would probably accompany a new Shiit Bifrost dac
wink_face.gif

Is there a difference between balanced and unbalanced line outs?  Sounds like there could be some marketing here

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #19 of 37
It leaves your options open for later upgrades. Because you'd be pushing the D2000 via the built in HO it's not necessarily something you'd need right away.

I'm not a sound science guy so I won't start blabbing, but from a pure amp standpoint the balanced outs generally provide more power. I just like having the options because I'm a tweaker.

Quote:
Well, my new asgard would probably accompany a new Shiit Bifrost dac
wink_face.gif

Is there a difference between balanced and unbalanced line outs?  Sounds like there could be some marketing here

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #21 of 37
scannon18: have you compared your D2000's using an E9 vs a higher end amp? 

Not yet. I invested in a new dac and it made a larger difference than an amp would make, I think. Right mow I'm holding out for the objective desktop amp from NwAvGuy. So no "high end " amps in my near future.

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #22 of 37
Well i ordered my asgard earlier today with one day saturday shipping off amazon.  It will pair up with my non modded d2000 (for now) and a PeachTree Audio Dac*it.   After a little burn-in i will let you guys know the differences between it and my low impedance amps my Astro Mixamp and my Denon  receiver.

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #23 of 37
Will be nice if the D600 pairs well with a tube amp.  I was planning on upgrading my d2000's.  i think i'm just going to save and get those to pair with my asgard and Peachtree Audio DAC*IT.

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #26 of 37
wow i thought you were kidding but i found one that someone sold for $275.  Already ordered the Asgard though

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #27 of 37
hopefully the burn-in process helps but so far i am scared that i don't like the amp or maybe even my dac.  pretty sure the amp though.  There is a very nasty roll off graininess in the mids now that wasn't there before.  more noticeable the lower quality music i go.  Not only do i not like it but it makes every song sound the same.  The highs are super crisp and the bass isn't really tighter but more controlled dynamically.  The mids almost shoot forward but decay slowly and sit in the back.  groossssss! what's going on?  The mids feel so confined. Also quite dry from what i can tell behind the graininess. also noticeable hissing once i start playing music.

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:
I'm still waiting on my C-2.2, and I do believe they will be a perfect match. SS amp with loads of clean, noise free power. 4.5 watts @ 25ohm!
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C-2new/C2.2EN.htm
Audio GD stuff is well regarded here.
I ordered it with the NFB 3.1 (for synergy and ACSS), but if you're using your own DAC, I'd suggest buying the Earth op-amps for neutral sound. Hell, I bought the Earth op-amps for my RCA inputs anyways.

For that kind of money, I'd take the nfb5.2 as a dac/amp combo.

Jun 3, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #29 of 37
convince that the denon's don't need a special amp.  they're toooo slow of a headphone.  doesn't lawton audio add dampening material on top of the driver?  wouldn't that make them even slower?  yuuuuuuuck

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #30 of 37
oops was a little drunk.  i like the denon's but they are a little echo-e-ish and bass wise the driver doesn't know how to not pop forward during initial excursion.  Sound stage isn't bad but the sound still sounds a little constricted like it wants to extend further but can't because of the enclosed headphone.  Makes sense now and i get the echo.  The echo is ear piercing.  The laid back sound is quite nice and if the echo wasn't there it would sound  quite mellow. I do like the mellow sound but voicing wise it doesn't seem that natural.  The Highs are proper in speed and timbre but are not energetic to me at all. actually everytime i hear them i wish they sounded more like my hd598's.
I think the lawton audio mods would help with these headphones tremendously.  The larger cups and to help with the confined sound and dampening material in the cup to reduce echo.  The dampening material on the driver would probably help weigh it down to keep it from trying to punch you in the face and allow it be much tighter.  I really want to keep the denon's now that i am talking myself into the mods lol.  I think i want to try Beyerrdynamic T1's or go for the seductive Audez'e lcd-2's.  Decisions decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back