Amp for Denon AH-D2000
Jun 5, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #32 of 37
I have the Schiit Asgard and the Denon AH-D2000s hooked up to a CD player and the sound is amazing.

Overall, I've been so impressed with the build quality and sound of the Asgard that now I'm looking into the Bifrost DAC.  Just to, you know, see if I can make this particular system sound amazing-er.  :) 

Jun 5, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #33 of 37
so i will post some pictures in a minute but i have been spending most of the day gathering materials and doing the modding to the D2000.  I can't turn these headphones off!  I need to get off soon though because my desk area is mess right now lol.  
One thing i was worried about with these headphones was that if the mods fixed most of my problems, it still wouldn't help the slightly off timbre ,overall tonality.  It has though. Maybe not the best but way better. That echo is gone and cleared up a lot too. This is a completely different headphone.    The bass is no longer interfering with the mids.  Didn't realize what a mess they were.  I mean i knew they were bad but until it cleared up i didn't realize how bad. The bass now how its own spot and is tighter.  That's also partly to do with the noticeably larger sound stage.  Instruments no longer sound constrained but  still keep that nice black room that closed headphones offer.  The highs could still be better IMO.  Not bad though.   Really no more echo in the voices but i still feel like the high mids are a little fatiguing (maybe it's because they isolate better and more sound is being pushed into your ears and not leaking lol.)
The mids still sound a little recessed and now a little more hollow now they don't have as much acoustic resonance to fill them in. 
One thing that shows these headphones are better is that because the tonality is a little better, larger soundstage and because of less echo you pick up a little better details, the headphone doesn't blend the nastiness that is mp3 as well as it use to.
I would like to hear this headphone out of a tube amp now.

Cons about this headphone in general:
Sibilant ,.......very sibilant sometimes.  not all the time.
Mids are recessed

Pro's:
I do like the effect that closed headphones give. More so now that this headphone has opened up.

Jun 6, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #35 of 37
Quote:
I have the Schiit Asgard and the Denon AH-D2000s hooked up to a CD player and the sound is amazing.

Overall, I've been so impressed with the build quality and sound of the Asgard that now I'm looking into the Bifrost DAC.  Just to, you know, see if I can make this particular system sound amazing-er.  :) 

I agree the Asgard turns out to be a very good pairing with the dxk line.

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #36 of 37
I without a doubt suggest trying the markl mod.  Totally different headphone and for the better.  i absolutely love them now except for some silbilance

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #37 of 37
Spending less time with these and then throwing them on again for the first time.  Mids are absolutely not there.  They use to sound alright before the mod but just recessed.  now they are recessed to far.  Seperated from the bass, yes.  Not just to far away.  Overall cool headphone but def not for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back