Amp/External soundcard for Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Nov 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

xquzic

New Head-Fier
Hi, 
I'm tired of the Astro Mixamp, so I want to buy something as a replacement. I've been looking at the ASUS Xonar Essence One, but it is quite expensive, so what other opportunities to I have?

I'm using a laptop. I am looking for a device with really good sound quality and the option to connect microphone (for better mic. quality instead of what my laptop greats) is a must.

Regards
Daniel "xquzic"

Nov 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 14
What sources are the MMXs going to be plugged into?
Win PC? Mac? gaming console?

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 14
Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card, used $60.
Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 14
  Unfortunately, I'm using it on a laptop, and the amp is not available in Denmark :frowning2: But thanks for the answers though.

Audio-GD NFB-15.32 DAC/Amp, 190 Euros + shipping
Comes with USB and S/PDIFF (optical & coaxial) inputs
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm
I've had my 15.32 for almost 3 weeks, does a nice job of driving all my headphones

EHP-02D, DAC/Amp, 190 Euros + shipping
Comes USB and line-input
http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/dacs/ehp-o2d-miniature-desktop-headphone-amplifier-with-usb-dac/

A FiiO E10, USB/DAC/Amp, price?

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 14
  Can I also connect my microphone to those devices?

They do not come with a line-input for microphones.
But you can still plug a microphone directly into the laptop or get a USB microphone.
I would assume a decent quality USB microphone would offer better audio quality, over plugging a microphone directly into the laptops line-in/microphone jack

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #10 of 14
I fail at reading comprehension, your using a laptop. You should look at the asus u3 and a good headphone amp. 

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks a lot, is the U3 for microphone only or what effect does the headphone amp have that I need if I buy the u3? 

If the U3 is for the microphone only, what quality will it give me? I know that the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 has a high quality mic, so I want to use its potential.

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #12 of 14
I inferred, maybe incorrectly, that you would be using this for gaming. I recommended the U3 because it would give you dolby tech, and would be a good place for the mic to go, and because it is a great value. I was recommending that you use the u3 for your mic/dac and have it feed a decent amp. If you dont want dolby headphone for gaming/movies, I would just get a decent headphone amp and call it good. You will probably need a cable extension for your mic in either setup. 

So to summarize : Laptop's usb->Xonar U3 (provides dolby headphone, and a good mic input)-> headphone amp.  In this scenario you would plug your mic into the U3 and your headphone into the amp. This is pretty versitle because in the future if you want a better DAC you can feed it through the U3's optical out and still retain dolby headphone. 

2nd option if you dont need dolby headphone: Laptop Line out via -> amp -> headphones. 

You might also look into the Asus xonar essence u7, and the creative line of external sound cards that will be a tidy all in one solution. These would have enough juice to do your headphones justice. 

Something to consider, since you already have a mixamp, you could just buy a better headphone amp and feed it from the mixamp. 

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #14 of 14
No problem, once you get the U3 in hand, you will see how to hook it up. Pretty useful piece of kit for ~30 bucks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back