Amp/Dac
Jun 3, 2011 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Jonwb

New Head-Fier
Hey! 
beyersmile.png

First of all, sorry if I've missed something, but I searched, and I couldn't really find what I wanted. Secondly, this is a kind of combined full-size/portable thread, so thought I'd choose full size as that's what I think I'll probably end up with.

So...

I'm looking for an Amp / DAC combo, for around £200.

Basically what I'm looking for: (Hopefully not too vague)
-A generally good Amp/dac that can be used with many earphones/headphones.
(Basically, something that will work/sound well enough with most headphones/IEMs)

-Something that's going to last me a while (or until I can afford something better - student)
-Optical in (from macbook pro)
-Probably a desktop amp/dac, however if I can get something as equally good for a similar price (maybe a bit more?) that's portable, it'd be nice (and therefore, chargeable).
-Something with a good warranty/customer service, although if I can get something cheap/second hand, it wouldn't be the end of the world.
-Hopefully something that I can buy in the UK/Europe - although if I have to buy outside of, I will.

I Don't know what you need to know so:

I'll be using it with my 15" Macbook Pro (2010), optical out.
If it's portable... depending on how portable, i may use it with my iPhone (FLAC Player), but that's not really important.

I'll mainly be using it with IEMs, but I am looking into getting a nice pair of £200-300 Headphones (not sure what at the moment) after this purchase... although not right away.
The IEMs I own at the moment are the UE TripleFi 10's and the Monster Turbine Pro Copper. (I plan on buying some Westone 4's at some point too).

I'm kinda going through a ...try stuff out... sort of stage... in terms of headphones/earphones, and I'm just looking for something that'll hopefully give me the best possible (affordable) output, instead of what I'm currently using - ...my Macbook headphone out.

I mainly listen to Rock, Jazz and Classical, and then bits of everything else.
I'm building my FLAC Library at the moment (mainly 44.1khz, but with some higher (up to 192khz) quality files too).

- Thanks for reading if you did, I know you obviously don't have to, so I appreciate it! -
Jon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back