Amp/Dac recommendation/questions?
Sep 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

backbaychef

Head-Fier
I have been hearing a lot about "balanced" stuff, and am considering going to the next step.  I have a pair of HD650s, and just purchased a pair of Denon D7000.  Here are my questions.

Is it possible to upgrade my Denon's to some XLR/balanced cables?
What more needs to happen for them to be balanced?

I also need a good balanced amp + dac, mostly to use with my desktop at work.  I won't be moving them around often and have space on my desk, but don't think I could bring in a turntable sized kit without raising some eyebrows. 

Money wise, I would prefer keeping it under $1000, or a bit above it if that's what you guys recommend.

Now those questions aside, here are some more theory based ones.  I love my music, but I try not to listen to it too loud.  I am using a TotalBitHead right now to drive my HD650's and Denons.  Since I listen to my music more quiet, does an amp/balanced stuff even matter?  I mean doesn't an amp mean more power (aside from good components and clarity) - and in order for me to get "enough" power to drive these, do I have to have the music louder?

Anyway, thank you for your recommendations/answers - this forum has always been a good place for me when I get the itching to upgrade.

--
The Chef

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 4
there is only one logical choice.  I have the nfb-10 which is a very nice, high-powered SE and balanced amp/DAC which was just under $1000.  I thought it was the best deal anywhere but he just this week released the nfb-10se which is effectively the same thing but now on prmotion for half the price.  There is no possible way you can get into balanced anywhere close to this price and it's a first rate system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back