AMP/DAC for UERM?
Dec 13, 2014 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

petervenkman

100+ Head-Fier
I was lucky enough to get in on the Massdrop for the UERMs recently. Also, I'm in the Socal area so I got to have my impressions done at UE and they got started on my pair earlier this week! Stoked to try them out..but I'm going to need an AMP/DAC solution to use them at home and possibly for occasional portable use. My budget tops out at ~$700. These are all on my radar. Inputs would be my computer over USB and possibly my Android LG G3.

1. Centrance Hifi-M8
  2. Centrance Mini-M8
  3. Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII
  4. Leckerton UHA760
  5. Concero HP
  6. TTVJ Slim w/DAC
  7. Pico Amp/DAC​
​What has worked best for you?

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 4
   What has worked best for you?

I use a Concero HP with the UERM. It does a good job of fleshing out the sub-bass extension of the UERM, which is its weakest link IMO.

I've tried the UERM with the HiFi-M8, and while it sounded nice, I didn't feel it was able to make up for the UERM's sub-bass shortcomings. I imagine the mini-M8 will be similar in that regard. I've heard good things about Leckerton devices, especially with the UERM, but I've never heard any myself.

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #3 of 4
As the UERM are multi BA IEMs without linear impedance all over the frequency range, they need an amp/DAC with low output resistance to keep their natural frequency response (the closer to 0 Ohms, the better).

I don't know of the others, but the Leckerton devices do offer very low hiss (inaudible with the UERM) and a low output impedance. If the optical/coaxial inputs aren't needed, I'd go for the UHA760 due to it's digital volume control which provides channel balance even at low listening levels.

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #4 of 4
Sorry for the bump but I'm also looking for ideas for an amp / DAC combo for a UERM (or separates if necessary). Ideally I want something that also includes a preamp and balanced outputs so I can use it with powered monitors. I don't need it to be portable but obviously the amp should be suitable for IEMs since the UERM will be my main headphones. I currently have a Dangerous Music Source but I'm not sure it will be very good with IEMs. Previously had a Benchmark DAC2 but don't really need all its features (eg analog inputs, DSD) so I was hoping for something a bit cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back