Amp & DAC for my Ultrasone Edition 8
Oct 27, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #16 of 27
Thought I'd add my 2 yen worth here. I listen my Ed8LE through my VentureCraft Go-DAP 4.0, Fostex HP-P1, a HeadAmp Pico Slim regularly. As you can guess my source would be an iDevice with recordings either at AAC 160kbps or 256kbps VBR, mp3 320kbps, or ALACs. In addition to my DAC/Amps, my colleague has an RSA Predator of which I borrow very regularly.

The [subjective]best[/subjective] combination my colleague & I have agreed with the misc combination above is the HP-P1 DAC & Predator Amp. The DAC seems to improve the separation & soundstage and the Predator as an amp gives a good tight bass yet details in the highs. Both of us came to an agreement about that. The HP-P1 alone although nice seemed to have a somewhat veiled high in the amp. To be honest I've grown so comfortable listening to the HP-P1 with a separate Amp (may it be the Predator or Pico Slim), I hardly ever listen to the HP-P1 on its own. The Pico Slim also improves over the HP-P1 amp in terms of detail but not as much as Predator. The Pico Slim though is a fair compromise as it's much smaller than the Predator.

In my personal choice, I'd probably rank my preference from Pico Slim < HP-P1 <<<< HP-P1+Pico Slim < HP-P1+Predator. So to me the gap between the HP-P1 & HP-P1+Pico Slim is great enough that I'm happy to carry the Pico Slim in addition.

Aside: DAC-to-DAC, between the (iPhone source) HP-P1 & (iMac but same ALAC as the iPhone) RSA Predator the HP-P1 seems to provide a deeper bass than just the Predator.

As for the VentureCraft Go-DAP 4.0, I actually quite like as a portable solution for my iPhone 4S however my friend found it somewhat grainy. At first I wasn't that impressed with the Go-DAP but (ashamed to say) when I enabled the ASR (Acoustic Sound Recovery/Restorer) it improves the highs I quite enjoy it. However it's soundstage feels smaller than the HP-P1 (with or without the Pico Slim).

Finally, I did briefly test the CLAS vs the HP-P1 for 30 mins and the CLAS further adds a little more detail than the HP-P1. I'm taking steps to procure a CLAS and an RSA SR-71B at the moment. I'll do further tests when I have those products in my hands.

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #18 of 27

Quote:
.... Almost no one around here uses a DAC with their iPod, unless they have invested in some much more expensive options.

And there you have it. The more expensive options are aforementioned. Having said that, if money isn't an obstacle, just go for the gold now: The Head-fi Holy Grail of Sound.

Edit: I may be about to pull the trigger on that puppy.

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #20 of 27
This guy...

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/balancedheadphones/one.html

Seems to think balanced is a vast improvement over single-ended.  Is this a valid review?  If so... it certainly seems balanced is the way to go, provided you are willing to spend the money on a more expensive amp and the cost of getting your headphones modified.

Thoughts?

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #21 of 27
I watched this very excellent video review:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/570149/head-fi-tv-episode-011-fostex-hp-p1-portable-dac-for-iphone-ipod-and-ipad-with-built-in-headphone-amp

But after doing some more poking around head-fi reviews, it sounds like the amp in the Fostex is inferior to others (such as those produced by Ray Samuels).  Am I correct in that assessment?

Am I somewhat correct that the ideal portable system would look something like this...

Balanced Amp... like the Ray Samuel SR-71B (which would require me modifying my ED8's) and a dedicated DAC like the Algorhythm Solo.

Now... let's say I only want one one device strapped to my iPhone... which of the following combinations would deliver superior sound...

(A)  Amp/DAC combination like the Fostex HP-P1 with a slightly inferior amp or...

(B)  Great sounding amp like the RS P-51 Mustang but no DAC

And... if I am going with option B (nice amp, no DAC), would it make an appreciable difference to go balanced, mod my headphones, and get the RS SR-71B balanced amp?

Mark

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #22 of 27
If you want portability, you'll have to sacrifice something. If you're going to use it exclusively with your iPhone, then have a look at the VentureCraft Go-DAP 4.0. It will be released globally soon. I've got one and as mentioned in my post above, it's my portable solution.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/533084/venturecraft-go-dap-gd-04-for-iphone-4

This gives you both DAC & Amp & an iPhone charger even in one unit.

In my tests, the Go-DAP has only a slightly smaller soundstage than the HP-P1 - something I'm willing to live with for portability. And yes I've owned these products in the past 3 weeks and therefore listen to either combination constantly.

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #23 of 27
I received my E8's in the mail today.  I plugged them into my iPhone 4S for a first impression.  Highs and mids were gorgeous... crystal clear.  The bass, however, I found very lacking.  I fed it songs that have tons of heavy bass, and the bass it gave me was pretty subdued.  Is this all I can expect out of these things?  One of the reasons I bought the E8's was that they were supposed to have better bass then other headphones in a similar price range.

Now... a couple points of clarification.

First, I do not yet have an amp.  Would an amp or amp/DAC combination give me significantly better bass?

Secondly, I have to admit that I am spoiled when it comes to bass.  I have a 12" Aperion sub for my home sound system, and I have two 12" subs in my car.  That said, I realize I am not going to get sick bass out of a set of headphones, but I was definitely hoping for more than I am currently getting.

Thoughts?

Mark

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #24 of 27
I'm a basshead as well, and the Ed8 should definitely satisfy your bass needs. Ed8 is picky with positioning and getting a good seal. If you see my posts from a few pages back, you will see I had seal issues, which destroys bass. However, as they have broken in, the sealing issue has gone away.

Mark, here's the deal. You're right, the Holy Grail is not portable. You will constantly be in a battle between your desire for the best sound, and how much gear is feasible to be connecting to your headphones to satisfy that desire. Like I was saying at first, for MOST around here, a very solid amp in conjunction with a great LOD cable (say from ALO audio) is that happy medium. Yes, you can have much more. An Algorythm Solo, a balanced amp, and a balanced headset will sound better. However, that's a ton of money, isn't very portable, and is a hassle to set up. I mean, it's not that big of a deal if that extra jump in sound is essential to you. You're going to have to be the one to make the call on what's most important. And when you do, there are tons of gear options to get to where you want. 

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #25 of 27

Quote:
If you want portability, you'll have to sacrifice something. If you're going to use it exclusively with your iPhone, then have a look at the VentureCraft Go-DAP 4.0. It will be released globally soon. I've got one and as mentioned in my post above, it's my portable solution.

This gives you both DAC & Amp & an iPhone charger even in one unit.

In my tests, the Go-DAP has only a slightly smaller soundstage than the HP-P1 - something I'm willing to live with for portability. And yes I've owned these products in the past 3 weeks and therefore listen to either combination constantly.

wow. Looks to be $450. 70mW at 32ohm? Have you run full-size cans through it? Is the battery removable?

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #26 of 27
My Ed8LE's either through the HP-P1+Pico Slim, or with my Go-DAP 4.0 gives me plenty bass. To be honest, sounds so good, I don't use my Ed8's out of the iPhone or iPad directly.

If you want a portable solution, I'd suggest the Go-DAP 4.0 DAC/Amp. I believe VentureCraft will be releasing it internationally soon. More info about the Go-DAP here :-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back