Amp/Dac for dt 990 600 ohms.
Oct 23, 2010 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

helloheadset

New Head-Fier
Hello, I've been lurking alot here and it seems like the DT990 would suit me quite well, but I need an amp and a dac.
I'll be using my computer as source, I currently have a Xfi sound card but i guess i need to upgrade that.
My budget is 600$ for both dac and amp(included shipping).
If the retailer is located in europe that would be nice, i live in Norway.

Thanks in advance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 8
Great cans, my favorites.

I've got an Audio-gd NFB-11 on the way. It's about 1/2 of your budget, but it should compete well with most in your price range.

I had a Firestone FUBAR IV Plus previously, it did a good job with the DT990/600s, but I was looking for something that I could use as a better DAC in my home system, and the FUBAR's DAC section was actually a step down from my Oppo DV-980H used as a source at home.

Another option would be a Little Dot mkIII amp and a DAC-1 DAC. That should be close to $600, but you'd get a nice tube amp.

Oct 24, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 8
I have the DT990 PRO (250Ω) and a Phenix G3-T7 tube amp. The tubes smooth out the beyers nicely. That being said, I haven't listened to these through a high quality SS to compare. Been looking at the audio-gd as well because I'd like to have a dac.

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #7 of 8
I've set my mind on buying the wa3 with the dt990, but i just read this.

Dear Customers:

Sorry for the shipment delay of the NFB-11.
We checked and found the problems is the ES9018 working fallibility at PCM mode (I2S input mode which is match to TE7022 I2S output).
The ES9018 working without problems with SPDIF mode.
In PCM mode , the ES9018 is grindingly request from the I2S input signal and difficult to exact re-clock the master clock.
I had communicate with ESS company engineer , he admit because the ES9018 applied a very hige frequency clock (80MHz) so can't easy to recovery the master clock .
We also communicate with OPPO engineer , he also had encounter this problems.
They have offer some advices for us try to fix the problem.
We have find two ways to fix this problem night and day. Hopefully we can test these two methods within a week.
We apologize for the delay and bring you trouble.

The NFB11 pre-order customers can decide either of below:
1, Send email to us ask refundment .
2, Or waiting few days see if we can fix the problems.
3, Or if change the order, can get 5% off. For example, change to order the NFB-3, price is USD285 (had got 5% off)
4, Or if change the order, the money increase 10%. For example, if you had pay USD300 (NFB-11 + shipping cost), change to other order, the USD300 become USD330.
So, which dac should i get? The NFB 11 or the NFB 3?

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #8 of 8
I use the E7/E9 combo and faithfully reproduces the innate sound signature of the DT990s as well as feeding it ample power. The problem with that is that the innate sound signature is quite bright and the treble is very aggressive. For a lot of people, the treble would be too much for them. That is usually the biggest complaint on the 990s. So I believe getting an amp that rolls off the treble a little would be beneficial for the people who can't take peaky Grado-esque treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back