Amp/Dac for Beginner?
Jun 1, 2011 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dukedudez

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm very knew to this audiophile stuff and I have a few questions.  First of all, I currently own a set of Sennheiser HD280 Pros, I use mainly my Ipod Classic 80gb and my computer for listening to music, I use a M Audio Mobile Pre USB for sound on my computer (I don't know if it's a DAC/Amp), and most of my music is either 256kps AAC or 320kps MP3.  My first question is, is my M Audio a good set up for my computer?  Also, do I need an Amp or DAC for my Sennheisers, or will I even be able to tell a difference?  I know these might sound very simple, but I am totally overwhelmed by all this audio stuff that I've never heard of.  Thanks!

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 9
Please read this:

http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/a-hopefully-helpful-headphone-buying-guide-for-newbies-by-boomana

Particularly the parts about:

- portable amps
- impedance+sensitivity and the need for voltage swing vs the need for current in an amplifier

For 90% of us, the best rig for portable use is a good DAP (Clip+ is very popular here) and a decent pair of IEMs. Unless you spend a lot of time on the road, my tip is to spend more money on your source.

Jun 10, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 9
You cannot go wrong with a J3, especially the EQ.  It's a winner in my book, just make sure you get yourself a good pair of headphones, they do not have to be expensive to get the best out of it.  The headphones that come with the J3 are no better then the Apple ones. 

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
You cannot go wrong with a J3, especially the EQ.  It's a winner in my book, just make sure you get yourself a good pair of headphones, they do not have to be expensive to get the best out of it.  The headphones that come with the J3 are no better then the Apple ones. 

Any other possible recommendations?  I'm also looking to replace my source after it crapped out on me.  The J3 was going to be my first choice but I'm willing to spend a little more if need be.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 9
I started using the elephantcandy EQu app on my iPhone with SE535s and triple.fi 10s and find the sound quite acceptable. Is there really a profound difference in the DAC quality? I will try a Total Bithead DAC/amp, soon, so I was wondering how 'poor' the iPhone onboard components really are. Yes, I will use a USB direct connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back