Amp and DAC for Shure SRH 840
Jan 9, 2011 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

HBTN

New Head-Fier
Hello, this is my first post on the forum!

I recently got a pair of Shure SRH 840, and I really like them. I currently run them through a Asus Xonar D1 soundcard, which has an integrated headphone amplifier and Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC.

I was wondering if by buying an headphone amplifier and/or an external DAC the quality would improve much, or if with my current setup I am using most or all of their potential

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 15
Can't comment on the DAC portion of your soundcard as I haven't heard it.  But comparing the SRH840 out a portable amp vs. a stereo or tube amplifier, they sound noticeably better with a full-sized amplifier. The bass sounds more controlled and the highs sound a bit crisper, which gives them a less bass-heavy and less closed sound.  You might try connecting the analog output of the card to a stereo amplifier with a headphone jack to see if the added juice improves their sound.  If it does, you could just stick to the stereo, as you might not get a big improvement with a dedicated headphone amp.

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for your reply, but I don't have a stereo amplifier to try. Anyone else knows if I will be getting a noticeable improvement if I get a better DAC or Amp?

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 15
My Cute Beyond was $187 as I recall. It's good. Noticeable improvement. I wish it had better channel balance at very low output levels.

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #10 of 15
Thanks for your suggestions. So, do you think an amp will help to get a more detailed and more engaging sound? Most of all I would like to know if it could provide more bass impact, which is the main issue I'm finding with the Shure. Apart from that, I can't really find issues with them, maybe they are a little laid-back.

But really, the thing I found lacking is bass, meaning on the songs I listen to that electric bass is too behind in the mix and bass drum is almost inaudible

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:

But really, the thing I found lacking is bass, meaning on the songs I listen to that electric bass is too behind in the mix and bass drum is almost inaudible

Shure's bass is ok, it is presented with warmth and musicality. 
Probably your ears are craving for more bass. IMo. 

Jan 28, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions. So, do you think an amp will help to get a more detailed and more engaging sound? Most of all I would like to know if it could provide more bass impact, which is the main issue I'm finding with the Shure. Apart from that, I can't really find issues with them, maybe they are a little laid-back.

I found that an amp did have the effect of giving the bass more definition and clarity overall.  For your budget I'd get an good but inexpensive dac (which will resolve details in the higher frequencies with well-recorded/encoded music files) and a decent used stereo amplifier.  Udac is a great dac, but sounds slightly warm but I've heard that a v-dac is a touch bright which would be better match imo for extending their highs.  For good stereo amps, I once looked into this and will paste some recommended models below.  Look in craigslist/garage sales/ebay and I'm sure you could find something great for nearly nothing.

Praised old stereos have been: old Sherwood integrated, vintage Harmon Kardon, Kenwood, NAD, Fisher Model 500 C.

And discussed in these threads:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/329395/using-full-sized-integrated-amp
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/428146/stereo-amp-with-good-headphone-jack/15
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/338299/many-av-receivers-stereo-integrated-amps-do-not-use-opamp-powered-headphone-jacks/75

Users who are viewing this thread

Back