Aminus hates everything (Or, Aminus rants and reviews stuff)
Mar 28, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #903 of 950
You don't even have a favorite out of everything you've tried? I guess thread name checks out

I have an opinion. He doesn't want say which are the best iems, because in that way other users can't criticize those iems. In this way he can trash every iem out there and at the same time no one can criticize the iems that he is using. He is a coward in my opinion. In this way he can't be "attacked".

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #904 of 950
I have an opinion. He doesn't want say which are the best iem, because in that way other users can criticize those iem. In this way he can trash every iem out there and at the same time no one can criticize the iems that he is using. He is a coward in my opinion.
What does it matter to him if others criticize the iems he likes? I really don't think he's one to care about such things. But he can't hate every iem equally tho r8, there's gotta be a hierarchy of sorts

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #905 of 950
What does it matter to him if others criticize the iems he likes? I really don't think he's one to care about such things. But he can't hate every iem equally tho r8, there's gotta be a hierarchy of sorts

I asked "which is the iem that you used most in the last 2-3 months?". In this way I didn't ask directly if there is something that he likes :) but no reply.

Mar 28, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #908 of 950
It says pretty clearly in the summary that he doesn't like most IEMs and that he thinks the best non- loudspeaker listening experience is the Sennheiser 600 series with the exception of the 660.

Mar 28, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #910 of 950
You’ll have to excuse me as I have been extremely ill over the last few days, and I have not had energy to read the absolute clownshow ongoing in this thread. I’m still quite sick now, but this circus has gotten out of hand and quite frankly it’s an utter embarrassment.

I get that people like simplicity when trying to comprehend things. Numerical or graded scores, ranking lists, yadda yadda. It’s like comparing GPUs or CPUs based on FPS, you think that by looking at a concrete, tangible number indicative of performance, you as the consumer are better educated.

This is precisely what I have been working towards eliminating in my new articles. I eschewed the numerical ranking system because it’s all anyone ever cared about in its heyday, which completely defeats the purpose of audio reviews. It’s very obvious that given the huge number of people who thought that every single impression at both Canjams was negative (either a sign of illiteracy or deliberate ignorance), most people are more interested in skimming for outrage and less interested in reading about the experience. I stopped caring about these people a very long time ago; I have no interest in winning their favor as they have missed the point entirely.

Audio, fundamentally, is an experiential hobby. The actual act of listening to gear and comprehending it, and where one stands on it is the hobby. Buying to one’s heart’s content aimlessly and directionlessly is not a hobby, it is just a manifestation of consumerism. There is no way to translate an entire experience into a single number or a ranking list. You would have better luck trying to explain the English language in a single alphabet. This is the fundamental endgoal of my reviews; to translate an experience into something that can be comprehended and communicated by someone with a completely different source, set of ears and music taste. Experiences, of course, are colored by taste and listening conditions. It says right on the first post that everything written is deliberately highly personal and subjective. I make no attempt to appeal to any sort of objectivity and never will.

The very difficult reality is that there is no “best” or “favorite” IEM, because all IEMs are fundamentally inherently bad. There are definitely some that are less bad than others, and some that we can even go so far as to say are “good… for an IEM”. But that’s the kicker; in the grand scheme of things IEMs all sound compressed, never fail to have some sort of tonal or timbral issues, and lack physicality and density of tone beyond the bass. A fundamental facsimile of music that fails to sound like the real thing can never be considered good, only perhaps less bad compared to the competition. I have talked about multiple IEMs that fit this bill in both my Canjam posts, and I’m pretty certain if people stopped begging to be spoonfed and read, God forbid, READ, they would have a very good idea of what IEMs I consider more tolerable and less flawed than others.

I am really not interested in entertaining this nonsensical “conversation” and brainless speculation anymore. If one has a problem with my approach to audio reviewing, nothing is stopping them from simply not reading my reviews. I would rather have a dozen diligent readers who thoroughly read through, understand and comprehend my impressions, than a flock of idiots claiming that my refusal to spoonfeed like many other reviewers happily do is some sort of sign of cowardice. My goalposts have clearly been planted in the very first post of the thread, and anyone is free to criticize them. And if one has no reference point to said goalposts, I highly recommend getting off forums for a few months and going out and experiencing things to understand what is possible and what isn’t. I cannot and do not care to help anyone who refuses to educate themselves.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #912 of 950
"Endgame" iem -> good headphoes
"Endgame" headphones -> good speakers
"Endgame" speakers -> live concert in one of the acoustically optimized venues

Thank you all for coming. (I am being intentionally silly)

Mar 28, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #913 of 950
You’ll have to excuse me as I have been extremely ill over the last few days, and I have not had energy to read the absolute clownshow ongoing in this thread. I’m still quite sick now, but this circus has gotten out of hand and quite frankly it’s an utter embarrassment.

I get that people like simplicity when trying to comprehend things. Numerical or graded scores, ranking lists, yadda yadda. It’s like comparing GPUs or CPUs based on FPS, you think that by looking at a concrete, tangible number indicative of performance, you as the consumer are better educated.

This is precisely what I have been working towards eliminating in my new articles. I eschewed the numerical ranking system because it’s all anyone ever cared about in its heyday, which completely defeats the purpose of audio reviews. It’s very obvious that given the huge number of people who thought that every single impression at both Canjams was negative (either a sign of illiteracy or deliberate ignorance), most people are more interested in skimming for outrage and less interested in reading about the experience. I stopped caring about these people a very long time ago; I have no interest in winning their favor as they have missed the point entirely.

Audio, fundamentally, is an experiential hobby. The actual act of listening to gear and comprehending it, and where one stands on it is the hobby. Buying to one’s heart’s content aimlessly and directionlessly is not a hobby, it is just a manifestation of consumerism. There is no way to translate an entire experience into a single number or a ranking list. You would have better luck trying to explain the English language in a single alphabet. This is the fundamental endgoal of my reviews; to translate an experience into something that can be comprehended and communicated by someone with a completely different source, set of ears and music taste. Experiences, of course, are colored by taste and listening conditions. It says right on the first post that everything written is deliberately highly personal and subjective. I make no attempt to appeal to any sort of objectivity and never will.

The very difficult reality is that there is no “best” or “favorite” IEM, because all IEMs are fundamentally inherently bad. There are definitely some that are less bad than others, and some that we can even go so far as to say are “good… for an IEM”. But that’s the kicker; in the grand scheme of things IEMs all sound compressed, never fail to have some sort of tonal or timbral issues, and lack physicality and density of tone beyond the bass. A fundamental facsimile of music that fails to sound like the real thing can never be considered good, only perhaps less bad compared to the competition. I have talked about multiple IEMs that fit this bill in both my Canjam posts, and I’m pretty certain if people stopped begging to be spoonfed and read, God forbid, READ, they would have a very good idea of what IEMs I consider more tolerable and less flawed than others.

I am really not interested in entertaining this nonsensical “conversation” and brainless speculation anymore. If one has a problem with my approach to audio reviewing, nothing is stopping them from simply not reading my reviews. I would rather have a dozen diligent readers who thoroughly read through, understand and comprehend my impressions, than a flock of idiots claiming that my refusal to spoonfeed like many other reviewers happily do is some sort of sign of cowardice. My goalposts have clearly been planted in the very first post of the thread, and anyone is free to criticize them. And if one has no reference point to said goalposts, I highly recommend getting off forums for a few months and going out and experiencing things to understand what is possible and what isn’t. I cannot and do not care to help anyone who refuses to educate themselves.
I'm sorry you have been ill and I hope you are on the mend now.

Mar 31, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #915 of 950
"Endgame" iem -> good headphoes
"Endgame" headphones -> good speakers
"Endgame" speakers -> live concert in one of the acoustically optimized venues

Thank you all for coming. (I am being intentionally silly)
The interesting thing about the headphone/speaker dichotomy is that there are some things headphones can do with much greater ease than speakers, and vice versa. In that regard, one doesn’t necessarily obsolete the other. Both can translate directly into each other, because it’s possible to construct a headphone listening setup around a low powered speaker amp and have it perform dual duty on both headphones and speakers. There is a very real synergy between the two that can be taken advantage of by one who knows what they’re doing.

This is not the case for IEMs. There is nothing that IEMs do better than any other transducer type. They exist for portability and convenience and nothing more, which are not sonic aspects. This is not an inherently bad thing, in my opinion; constraints can often create greatness. That simply hasn’t happened yet with the relatively infantile IEM industry though, and it may be a long time coming until it matures enough for this to be possible.

As for live concerts — as if anyone alive today could play like Sviatoslav Richter. What a farce.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back