Aminus hates everything (Or, Aminus rants and reviews stuff)
Feb 2, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #766 of 950
I beg to differ on this. But not to generalize; some IEMs are vastly affected by tips being changed, others not so much.

This has been my experience too - it varies. I have far too many IEMs and headphones and will be selling most of them in the near future (just a time/energy thing, it's a lot). The ones I'm keeping don't have stock tips on them except maybe one pair. In other words, for my ears (and a big part of this is fit and comfort, in addition to sound) the stock tips didn't achieve as great an experience as other tips I tried.

I agree it's probably impractical for most people to test earphones with a full range of tips, it would add to the testing time a lot. So what my plan is after I sell off most of my collection, I'll do a writeup of the ones I decided to keep and what tips (and earpads) I'm using and why. Basically the ideal combinations I've discovered and why they work well for me, and why I think they unlock the full potential of each IEM. (There's a lot of focus on IEM cables in the forum, when tips consistently make a much bigger impact on sound and experience.)

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #767 of 950
Sorry, yes, X6. Fixed above. I couldn't believe it myself. Give it a try and see how you like them.

Edit: not exactly an audiophile source, but this review pretty much nails it: https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/4/18210205/yincrow-x6-earphones-review-specs-price

Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestion, got the Yincrow X6 a short while ago and I'm seriously impressed. First pair of earbuds I've heard in over a decade that I would call good. Well rounded, likeable sound, and I can even listen to electronic music with sub bass on them and enjoy it, which is pretty amazing! Great to have an option like it when I'm working from home along with my wife and kids are doing remote schooling and I need to keep an ear out at all times but want to enjoy some music too while I work. Thanks!

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #768 of 950
Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestion, got the Yincrow X6 a short while ago and I'm seriously impressed. First pair of earbuds I've heard in over a decade that I would call good. Well rounded, likeable sound, and I can even listen to electronic music with sub bass on them and enjoy it, which is pretty amazing! Great to have an option like it when I'm working from home along with my wife and kids are doing remote schooling and I need to keep an ear out at all times but want to enjoy some music too while I work. Thanks!
The X6 is epic. Really a must have for any earbud fans.

Feb 2, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #769 of 950
My pleasure, glad you like them. They cost less than a single pair of eartips I use for my IEMs and sound better than some $100 IEMs I've heard. Crazy really.

Feb 10, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #770 of 950
Conversely tips (even stock tips) can make something that could sound good sound really bad - or at least bad based on your personal preferences. That said I get that there's no time to tip roll and cable roll every IEM to see how much you can bend it towards your preferences, but that doesn't mean it can't be done by people buying said IEMs.
If the stock tips make an IEM bad, and the engineering and tuning of the design were made with that tip in mind, then the IEM probably sucks.

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #771 of 950
If the stock tips make an IEM bad, and the engineering and tuning of the design were made with that tip in mind, then the IEM probably sucks.

Depends on the ear structure of the designer and testers though. They could have a capable driver in a shell that works well for some people but not others. Tip changes can compensate for shell fit issues for some people. Also since an IEM bypasses some structures of the ear, it can sound different to people with different ears because each person’s brain has a different HRTF. Changing tips can help adapt the performance for some ears better than others.

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #772 of 950
Quarantine Catchup: The Campfire 2020 Roundup
Campfire is not a brand I’ve been particularly kind to in the past. That much can be said by anyone who has kept up with this thread. It’s not because of any sort of personal beef or anything like some may think, I just genuinely disagree with a lot of their tuning direction. The Andro and Solaris sounded, simply put, wrong to me. And for one reason or another, the same applies to every other product from them that I’d heard so far. Their tuning style was always either some variant of excessively bloated and bassy or a weird wannabe colored-neutral that had some sort of glaring tonality issue.

But every company has the ability to improve, and Campfire is no exception. The Andromeda 2020 is, dare I say it, actually good. I abhorred the original Andromeda’s excessive thickness and murkiness, and used as many synonyms for “suffocation” as I could think of to describe its upper mids. But I don’t need to do that for the Andro 2020. Gone is the excessive lower midrange thickness (though by no means is it a lean IEM), and the awful flabby bass has be tightened up a decent bit. Make no mistake, this is still BA bass, but it’s gone from “offensively bad” to “not great”. Still an improvement in my eyes.

Curiously enough, the legendary 7-9khz Andro treble plateau is gone. I actually prefer this treble response more. It’s more mid-treble oriented than the original Andro’s treble tonality, but it also doesn’t sound as one note and artificially crashy as the original Andro. Perhaps it might be due to the introduction of a pinna gain region on the 2020 (finally, jesus) but I hear a lot more of the sonic wall-less soundstage on the 2020 that was, in my eyes, plainly not there on the original. This too comes with a massive (and I mean massive) improvement in layering capability. The Andro 2020’s layering is on par with some of the best in this category, and I’m really surprised by this considering the original sucked bad at it.

My primary criticisms with the Andro 2020 would lie in, once again, its lower midrange. I'd say they trimmed a lot of the fat, but they didn’t trim all of it. There is still too much lower midrange on the 2020 that at times sounds odd and a little bloated. Male vocals do have an occasional uncanny valley effect to them that’s... not great. This also comes with a bit of midbass bloat as well. Needless to say the two of these hand in hand is not exactly a good combination, though I don’t think it majorly detracts from the listening experience. There’s also a lack of dynamics which was present in the original - that one had a compressed-everything-downwards kind of sound to it not unlike an overly dampened headphone, this one sounds a little more like everything is pushed up ala PP8. Gun to my head, the latter is not as bad as the former, but neither is really that ideal.

All in all? Of the uncountable number of Andro refreshes, limited or main line, this is the only one that’s warranted. This is not an IEM that needs residual hype from 2016 to sell itself, it is a genuinely good product that I wouldn’t mind recommending to someone after the layering ability and tonality it has.

Though as much as I genuinely think the Andro 2020 is a good product, I’m also not quite fond of the Solaris 2020.

Let’s start with the mids. I disliked, no, despised the OG Solaris’ mids. Not even because of the oft cited 4khz upper midrange dip that effectively killed all female vocals, but because of the 2khz spike that rendered any sort of the lower midrange instrument a harsh grating disaster. The Solaris SE actually improved this latter point, but the 2020 is a regression in this regard. I wouldn’t necessarily call it harsh anymore so much as I would sharp or shouty, though it still is equally grating. Not helping this at all is an awful sibilant treble peak which pushes an already edgy frequency response right into painful territory on certain tracks. On more forgiving material the Solaris 2020 just has a general sense of wrongness to its midrange. It sounds lean, but at the same time the midbass is bloated and the upper mids sound sucked out. It’s a bizarre combination of things that should not have been put together and it ends up producing a really weird sounding product that’s as hard to describe as it is disconcerting to listen to.

What else... I do hear a general improvement in resolving ability and layering capability, but I don’t find this to be a particular improvement over the Andro 2020. The bass response is also not great either - not that the original Solaris ever had good bass, but this one sometimes pushes on nigh indistinguishable compared to the Andro 2020’s bass, which is nothing new considering BA-like bass was something the OG Solaris was pretty infamous for. While the dynamics are certainly not compressed like the Andro 2020's, they’re also nothing amazing either. There is a fairly large margin between this and heavyweights like the U12t or the NT6. Not a fan of this one.

And I saved the best for last. Ara. I use the word “best” sparingly because the Ara is pretty much what I would classify as a total mess.

Let’s start with the treble response. Had I listened to the Solaris 2020 after the Ara I probably wouldn’t have minded its treble response that much considering the Ara is infinitely worse in the same regard. Jesus this thing is sibilant, sharp, and generally painful to listen to. The treble is a splashy disaster that hisses more than a den of angry snakes dropped into a swimming pool. It’s not even like the midrange is any good either. I can’t decide if the mids are sucked out, veiled or both at the same time, and I don't think the Ara can either. Though resolving, it’s not like it sounds exponentially more detailed than the Andro 2020 or Solaris 2020. And the bass response and dynamic ability on the Ara is by far the worst of the trio - where the Solaris sounds like DD bass mimicking BA bass and the Andro sounds like BA bass trying (and failing) to be DD-ish, the Ara is just plain BA through and through. Its dynamic capability is flat and unengaging, failing at both macro and microdynamics like a lot of other “boring” IEMs do. I really don’t see any redeeming factor with the Ara, doubly so next to the genuinely impressive Andro 2020. I’m confused by the point of this release, but then again the same can be said for a few too many of Campfire’s products.

All listening was done with the WM1A’s 3.5mm jack.

The Andro 2020 is pretty definitely my favorite Campfire product yet. The Solaris 2020 and Ara on the other hand... need work. In any case I’m pretty impressed by the massive improvement that the Andro 2020 is over the original, though I’m not sure if fans of the OG will like the 2020 refresh. They’re pretty different IEMs overall and I can see OG loyalists not liking the 2020 due to the lack of the distinct treble plateau and the greatly trimmed lower midrange. In my eyes though these are steps in the right direction, and I hope that Campfire continues making more of them in the future.

Scores:
Andro 2020: 6/10
Ara: 2/10
Solaris 2020: 3/10
Any chance for a Vega 2020 review? :)

Feb 24, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #773 of 950
Any chance for a Vega 2020 review? :)
Already done here along with the Dorado 2020.

Speaking of this thread, sorry for the absence of content. Spring term started and I've been working away on that. Rest assured though, I have been cataloging the IEMs I need to get around to reviewing and when I have the time to hear them, I'll write my thoughts on them and post about them.

Mar 7, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #775 of 950
A small mid-hiatus update:
Decided to rework a couple of old scores that I was unsatisfied with. Normally, I'd say that scores shouldn't be the focal point of a review, and that the main takeaway should be the text content in and of itself, but I'd honestly argue that much of my old writing is painfully outdated and doesn't reflect how I feel about a lot of these IEMs these days. It would be an incredible amount of work to attempt to re-review even a small portion of my writing from, say, a year ago, so I'll let the numbers do the talking instead:

From 8/10 to 9/10:
64 Audio U12t
Elysian Annihilator

From 7/10 to 8/10:
64 Audio Nio
Elysian Terminator 2
Sony IER-M9

From 6/10 to 7/10:
Astell & Kern T8iE MK II
Campfire Andromeda 2020
Empire Ears Odin
Pears SH3
Sony IER-M7

From 5/10 to 6/10:
Empire Ears Hero
Vision Ears Erlkonig

So what does this mean?

Well, to put it simply, if you've been paying attention to this thread for a while you may have noticed that there's quite a bit of resistance past the 6/10 mark that prevents a lot of IEMs from ascending higher. This was something I'd done intentionally from the start. The 7/10 score was a sort of gatekeeper that separated the good from the great, if you will. Over time, I ended up feeling like that approach led to some overcongestion in the middle scores, which worked earlier on at establishing a good bell curve, but ultimately led to the scores losing more and more nuance over time. This is a large part of the reason why the SA6 and Azul score seemed higher than average, because they were. Had the reviews been written a year prior, it's highly likely that they would have been knocked down by one. I also feel like my fixations in audio have changed enough to allow me to appreciate some things that I previously thought less of. That's not to say that they won't change again, and I can't guarantee that rescoring like this won't ever happen again. But hey, nothing is immune to change, least of all opinions.

As for why nothing got moved down as opposed to up, well, I already think the lower scores suffer from a congestion issue as well, though I don't think that's as consequential as the mid or upper scores because differentiating between different flavors of bad isn't quite as relevant to people (beyond entertainment value, of course, but even there being the most calculating and nuanced about things runs into diminishing returns fast) as different flavors of good.

Regarding the future of this thread, it is most certainly not dead. I'm being a little more picky about what I actually choose to review (more than a few IEMs got skipped over on purpose because of this), and I'd like to focus on IEMs that are either novel in some way or hyped in another. The Thieaudio Legacy 4 left a really sour taste in my mouth regarding reviewing stuff that's squarely mediocre, and I'd really rather avoid writing about something that doesn't warrant the effort in the first place. Regardless, I'd like to focus more on writing more indepth reviews that really dig into what an IEM is capable of and what it does right/wrong, instead of some of the shorter reviews I've done in the past.

Oh yeah, don't think I've forgotten about the promised DAP reviews. I'm well overdue on that for well over a year at this point and it never materialized. Simple reason: I became less and less enchanted with DAPs as opposed to desktop sources as time went on, and I've reached a stage where I don't think there are very many, if any DAPs that are inspiring enough to write about. There is just too much that DAPs are compromised at to my taste, even at their very best, and I feel like I wouldn't have too much good to say about them overall. As crazy as it might sound coming from me, I try to strive for some semblance of a balanced bell curve, and the way I hear DAPs, that wouldn't be possible. So sorry, but I don't think I'll be touching on that market segment, not for a while at least.

One last thing: if anyone's curious, I've been focusing a lot on desktop/headphone gear lately. I have a bunch of writings on DACs and other miscellaneous desktop gear that I happen to own or get loaned on... another forum. I'm sure you'll find it if you look. Maybe some day I will find a way to branch out of writing about portable gear and be a full blown big boy reviewer. Maybe some day I'll get rich off of a $100 investment into a $10k MCAP cryptocurrency. We can all dream.

May 20, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #777 of 950
Hi Aminus, I have several questions.
Do you intent to review the iSine/LCDi in the future? they are of the few iem with planar driver, and are said to be one of the better at imaging and clarity on the market.
And are headphones superior to iems when it comes to soundstage and imaging? What about clarity and micro details?
Could you show me where "the other forum" is?
Last thing, have you ever heard of the E1DA 9038D?

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #778 of 950
Dunu Zen Review ?
Had plans to do one a couple months ago, they fell through because of real life. At this point I'm honestly not interested in pursuing it, largely because of the poor reception to the Zen and lack of discussion surrounding it. Why waste my time?

Hi Aminus, do you intent to review the iSine/LCDi in the future? they are of the few iem with planar driver, and are said to be one of the better at imaging and clarity on the market.
And are headphones superior to iems when it comes to soundstage and imaging? What about clarity and micro details?

Have you ever heard of the E1DA 9038D?
I've talked about them in the past, long story short no. I'm not a fan of planar drivers in general, and I especially don't like planars that completely forsake tuning in the name of achieving some distortion figure and retuning it with DSP, not to mention the inherently contradictory nature of an IEM being openbacked (why not just use headphones at that point?). Maybe some day in the future active headphones/IEMs will be viable for personal audio, but as is I find DSP to negatively affect intangibles, for the target curve to not even sound very good in the first place, and worst of all, for the drivers themselves to not even be that intangibly accomplished. Again, I fundamentally dislike the sound of planars, so you won't be hearing me singing any praises about them regardless of how Audeze decides to tackle them.

To be completely honest, I find myself not caring at all about imaging or staging these days. It has absolutely no bearing on my enjoyment of the music beyond not sounding excessively diffuse or distant (which one would have to actively go out of their way to achieve). Clarity is very much a tonal thing, so not really relevant to the transducer type. Microdetail is definitely superior on headphones, though which one and from what source matters as well. Estats and planars suck at anything low level if you ask me, same with BAs.

I have not heard the E1DA, and I will almost certainly not ever review or bother to hear all these dongles. They're a faceless sea of hype trains in my eyes. I've come to dislike D/S DACs in general, and portable sources doubly so. 0 interest from me.

Now, for the state of this thread.

I have to admit that I've very much become disillusioned with IEMs as of late. Busy as I've been with school, I do still keep an eye on the industry, and what I see goes against my philosophy for audio more and more with each release. I strongly dislike the tribrid quadbrid BA spam target curve hitting turn this industry has taken, and the few outliers I see are just as bad, if not worse. I haven't decided yet how best to continue this thread, and if I will continue reviewing IEMs at all. I may write one last review for a loaner I've had with me for a couple weeks and a final rant post regarding my opinions on the IEM industry as it is today and why I find it so unsatisfying, as well as a clarification on my current philosophy on achieving good sound. Or I may completely forgo that entirely. Or maybe I'll do one last tour of the releases of the last few months worth talking about, not that there are very many, before packing up to move stateside for college. I'm not particularly partial to any of the above. I may have to think about exactly how much of my summer I want to invest on this thread, if any, or maybe some of you who still actually read this thread can chime in on what you'd like to see as a sendoff for its 2 year run.

In any case, if you're still interested in my writing or opinions on audio, I am much more active on discord and on another forum, and intend to continue regularly talking about audio and posting full length reviews on there, respectively. My focus has shifted much more to desktop audio and headphones, and I am more than open to taking questions about either on this site as well (though preferably in PM as I would rather not clog up this thread).

May 20, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #779 of 950
Had plans to do one a couple months ago, they fell through because of real life. At this point I'm honestly not interested in pursuing it, largely because of the poor reception to the Zen and lack of discussion surrounding it. Why waste my time?

I've talked about them in the past, long story short no. I'm not a fan of planar drivers in general, and I especially don't like planars that completely forsake tuning in the name of achieving some distortion figure and retuning it with DSP, not to mention the inherently contradictory nature of an IEM being openbacked (why not just use headphones at that point?). Maybe some day in the future active headphones/IEMs will be viable for personal audio, but as is I find DSP to negatively affect intangibles, for the target curve to not even sound very good in the first place, and worst of all, for the drivers themselves to not even be that intangibly accomplished. Again, I fundamentally dislike the sound of planars, so you won't be hearing me singing any praises about them regardless of how Audeze decides to tackle them.

To be completely honest, I find myself not caring at all about imaging or staging these days. It has absolutely no bearing on my enjoyment of the music beyond not sounding excessively diffuse or distant (which one would have to actively go out of their way to achieve). Clarity is very much a tonal thing, so not really relevant to the transducer type. Microdetail is definitely superior on headphones, though which one and from what source matters as well. Estats and planars suck at anything low level if you ask me, same with BAs.

I have not heard the E1DA, and I will almost certainly not ever review or bother to hear all these dongles. They're a faceless sea of hype trains in my eyes. I've come to dislike D/S DACs in general, and portable sources doubly so. 0 interest from me.

I have to admit that I've very much become disillusioned with IEMs as of late. Busy as I've been with school, I do still keep an eye on the industry, and what I see goes against my philosophy for audio more and more with each release. I strongly dislike the tribrid quadbrid BA spam target curve hitting turn this industry has taken, and the few outliers I see are just as bad, if not worse. I haven't decided yet how best to continue this thread, and if I will continue reviewing IEMs at all. I may write one last review for a loaner I've had with me for a couple weeks and a final rant post regarding my opinions on the IEM industry as it is today and why I find it so unsatisfying, as well as a clarification on my current philosophy on achieving good sound. Or I may completely forgo that entirely. Or maybe I'll do one last tour of the releases of the last few months worth talking about, not that there are very many, before packing up to move stateside for college. I'm not particularly partial to any of the above. I may have to think about exactly how much of my summer I want to invest on this thread, if any, or maybe some of you who still actually read this thread can chime in on what you'd like to see as a sendoff for its 2 year run.

In any case, if you're still interested in my writing or opinions on audio, I am much more active on discord and on another forum, and intend to continue regularly talking about audio and posting full length reviews on there, respectively. My focus has shifted much more to desktop audio and headphones, and I am more than open to taking questions about either on this site as well (though preferably in PM as I would rather not clog up this t
Are those iem EQ friendly?
Then , would you recommend the R70X?

May 20, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #780 of 950

In any case, if you're still interested in my writing or opinions on audio, I am much more active on discord and on another forum, and intend to continue regularly talking about audio and posting full length reviews on there, respectively. My focus has shifted much more to desktop audio and headphones, and I am more than open to taking questions about either on this site as well (though preferably in PM as I would rather not clog up this t
Would you mind giving me the link to the Discord channel and the other forum as I have some more question, It would be much more convenient for both of us.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back