Aminus hates everything (Or, Aminus rants and reviews stuff)
Sep 7, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #662 of 950
Love this thread! A breath of fresh air amid the steam of all the hype trains in these parts.

I should probably be careful what I wish for but @aminus please review the 64 Audio Nio.
I will when it actually arrives in SG. 64 seem slow with bringing their demo units over here for whatever reason. I think we only just recently got the A18s demos in. Still haven’t heard that yet either.
Had any more ear time with Sarda? Curious on your thoughts on how it compares to ODIN since they graph somewhat similarly up to 3k with the Sarda having a bit more energy up top.
I have not listened to the Sarda at all beyond my initial listen. At this point I’ve more or less forgotten what it sounds like, though I don’t recall it being as shrill as the Odin.
@aminus Ok, I'm ready to face the reality now, I can take it just drop the S8 bomb bruh let's go.
I would if I could actually find the time to run out to the middle of nowhere just to listen to the S8. Wish someone local had a personal unit so it’d be more convenient but that’s just not how it is I guess.

Sep 7, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #663 of 950
I will when it actually arrives in SG. 64 seem slow with bringing their demo units over here for whatever reason. I think we only just recently got the A18s demos in. Still haven’t heard that yet either.
I'm surprised that famous audio 'cafe' (forgot the name) in SG doesn't have Nio yet. They seem to have gotten the new EEs before most dealers! Maybe they're not big on 64 in SG.

Sep 7, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #664 of 950
I'm surprised that famous audio 'cafe' (forgot the name) in SG doesn't have Nio yet. They seem to have gotten the new EEs before most dealers! Maybe they're not big on 64 in SG.
Zepp doesn’t carry 64. There are 2 shops that do, but I don’t think it’s in their power to ask for demo units faster or anything like that. Not that I’m aware of at least.

Sep 12, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #672 of 950
A Quick One: 64 Audio A18s
Disclaimer: This review of the A18s is of the UIEM demo unit. As those of you who follow my writing may have seen, 64’s UIEMs tend to differ massively from their CIEMs. As such, I cannot guarantee what I hear and describe is reflective of what the end user may receive, since the A18s is only available in CIEM form. In fact, I strongly advise against taking my word as a representative sample of the user end product.

Ah yes, 64 Audio. One of the most innovative companies on the market, though their lineup is quite literally the definition of a mixed bag. Between hits like the U12t, weird semi-hits like the Fourte and Trio and just straight up misses like their entire lower end lineup, it’s a company that’s quite unpredictable in my eyes, and really worth paying attention to.

So why a quick one? Well, there really isn’t much to say about this IEM that graphs and experience with other 64 IEMs don’t already say. In fact, I’d say anyone who’s already heard the U12t and U18t need not waste their time listening to the A18s, unless, well, the idea of the two combined appeals to one. But let’s get down to it anyways.

To put it simply, the A18s is what happens if you took the U18t’s drivers and their intangible performance and tuned them to the U12t’s frequency response curve. So, to get it out of the way, the A18s does indeed sound, at least tonally, like a U12t. This is hardly a bad thing considering the U12t’s tonality is one of my favorite ever.

The issue comes in with the fact that it employs the U18t’s intangibles. Despite the U18t being 64’s CIEM flagship, I’ve never really liked it. The tonality sounded off to me, the dynamics were flat and dead, the bass sounded boomy and limp at the same time, and I’d argue it sounded less technical than the U12t. All while lacking the tasteful colorations of its younger brother like the slightly anti-aliased attack transients and the warm timbre. So where does that leave the A18s? Well, you get rid of the honestly terrible tuning of the U18t, that’s for certain. But you’re still stuck with the weird limp bass, the lifeless macro- and microdynamics... It comes off as an experience that’s pleasing on the surface level, but unfulfilling overall.

And it really begs the question: Why not just buy a U12t? Seriously, it’s 2/3rds the price of this $3000 behemoth. The way I see it, the A18s is just a worse version of the U12t with no real upside. Save yourself the money.

Score: 6/10

Sep 12, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #673 of 950
What about Unique Melody MEST?
I’ve heard the MEST and have a short draft of what I think of it. Unfortunately, I’ve run into 2 issues that are preventing me from publishing it.
1. I’m unsure of how representative the CIEM sample my writing focuses on is of the general product. I listened to 2 samples, and one of them was clearly better than the other.
2. I’m unsure about whether or not my fit of the CIEM is representative of how the MEST should sound, as the owner’s own impressions differ greatly from my own.

To my knowledge, the UIEM MEST also differs (and negatively so) from the CIEM, meaning that a UIEM MEST may not be representative of what a CIEM MEST should sound like. As such, I’m hesitant to talk about it until I can find a way to listen to a proper representative sample.

Sep 12, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #674 of 950
I’ve heard the MEST and have a short draft of what I think of it. Unfortunately, I’ve run into 2 issues that are preventing me from publishing it.
1. I’m unsure of how representative the CIEM sample my writing focuses on is of the general product. I listened to 2 samples, and one of them was clearly better than the other.
2. I’m unsure about whether or not my fit of the CIEM is representative of how the MEST should sound, as the owner’s own impressions differ greatly from my own.

To my knowledge, the UIEM MEST also differs (and negatively so) from the CIEM, meaning that a UIEM MEST may not be representative of what a CIEM MEST should sound like. As such, I’m hesitant to talk about it until I can find a way to listen to a proper representative sample.
Fair enough bud. Appreciate the honesty. Out of curiosity did you try the universal international or Japanese version?

Sep 12, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #675 of 950
Fair enough bud. Appreciate the honesty. Out of curiosity did you try the universal international or Japanese version?
I wasn’t even aware that there was a Japanese version. I haven’t tried the universal either, only the 2 CIEM units as mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back