American Idol use Beats by Dr.Dre
May 26, 2011 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

dadab12

100+ Head-Fier
American Idol use Beats by Dr.Dre as a reference headphones, Discuss this unusual thing, the only thing I can think of is sponsership but I don't get how musicians can use it as reference.
Again, Discuss this!

May 26, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 19
discuss this? what's the need for that? you're just enticing the entire community to start another bashing of dre beats. No point in another thread on that, honestly, you could've approached this differently but i guess you have the incentive of starting another beat bashing. But whatever, if they want to use beats as reference headphones, let them. If someone wants to use a honda civic to pick up the president of the united states, let them. It really shouldnt draw as much attention as you're making it seem like

edit: and seriously, the way you're saying it makes me kind of want to get angry at you. Use more polite language if you're asking us why they would use it as a reference headphone, seriously, learn your manners

May 26, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 19
What "music reference" in American Idol?  They don't quite need it on there.

But, advertisement.  People see American Idol judges using Beats, people assume they must be good headphones - especially once they see the price.  Because doesn't everyone know that when celebrities use expensive things in shows, movies, and commercials, they must be good, right?  And Lady Gaga had the Beats symbol on a laptop in one of her music videos, so that means it must be really great, because Lady Gaga is the best musician this generation has ever seen!  (Off to stick my fingers in a shredder for writing that.)

If you go into real studios where real producers and musicians want reference-level monitoring through headphones, I doubt you'd find a single set of Beats anywhere.  I'd make a reasonable bet that Sony and AKG make up the majority of real studio headphones.

May 26, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 19
Chill mate, don't take things so seriously, get angry at me for what? 

Quote:
discuss this? what's the need for that? you're just enticing the entire community to start another bashing of dre beats. No point in another thread on that, honestly, you could've approached this differently but i guess you have the incentive of starting another beat bashing. But whatever, if they want to use beats as reference headphones, let them. If someone wants to use a honda civic to pick up the president of the united states, let them. It really shouldnt draw as much attention as you're making it seem like

edit: and seriously, the way you're saying it makes me kind of want to get angry at you. Use more polite language if you're asking us why they would use it as a reference headphone, seriously, learn your manners

May 26, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 19
at least both Idols and Monster targets the same type of consumers

May 26, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 19
Umm... Jimmy Iovine co-owns the brand Beats by Dr. Dre.  He's their "Producer" this year so you bet he's going to be pushing his product every which way he can.  Simple as that. 

May 26, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
Chill mate, don't take things so seriously, get angry at me for what? 

Because this is just going to turn into many of the bashing threads you see around here with people mindlessly crapping on headphones that obviously aren't marketed to audiophiles.

May 26, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 19
Mindlessly?  I'd say most have pretty valid reasons for disliking them.  Especially when they claim to be reference-level studio monitors used by "artists and producers".

Quote:
Because this is just going to turn into many of the bashing threads you see around here with people mindlessly crapping on headphones that obviously aren't marketed to audiophiles.

May 26, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
Mindlessly?  I'd say most have pretty valid reasons for disliking them.  Especially when they claim to be reference-level studio monitors used by "artists and producers".

ok im ok with people having their own religion, every one is entitled to what they believe in. Just as long as they leave me alone also. Similarly, i expect the same here. They don't give us crap about not having beats, and they can live their life oblivious to the better audiophile world. Why can't we just be ok with that? Is it our job to educate the masses? No, it isn't. Now if artists and musicians want to use it as a reference monitor, then let them. I'm sure they're smart enough to know that the beats don't match the clarity of their studio monitors. It's by no means a complete substitute for actual studio monitors

May 26, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:

And if people buy them, and like them, who are you to judge?

May 26, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #13 of 19
You seem quite set on going off on a tangential subject, and I'd simply answer your question with one of my own - who are you to judge me for judging others?  We'll completely ignore that nothing of that sort has happened in the thread (although you seemed quite happy to make the pre-emptive statement, likely designed to cause this thread to degenerate into a Beats-bashing thread, rather than one that actually answers the question being asked) - if I shouldn't judge people for enjoying Beats, why should you feel entitled to the moral high ground to judge me, based on my own opinions (which you just claimed aren't ground to judge a person on)?

If I don't like Beats, and think people who buy Beats are either too lazy to do some research, or are more worried about headphones as a fashion accessory than something to play music with...so what?

All that said, your point has really been fully refuted - there's not much "mindless" bashing of Beats around here.  If you take issue with other people not liking those headphones, well, goody, but claiming those who don't like Beats are "mindless" is about as stereotypical and inaccurate as saying everyone who buys a pair of Beats only listens to ghetto-slam rap and can't appreciate music.
Quote:
And if people buy them, and like them, who are you to judge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back