American can't make cars?
Feb 28, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #226 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Odyssey runs a V6... I shudder to think of a minivan with a 4-banger.

And it has a very nice growl, thank you very much!
cool.gif

Oh, I thought it had 4-banger. Sorry. But then agian, I have never seen one, the odyssei that is. Big V6 is good.
icon10.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #227 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't feel sad... Comptech is coming out with a supercharger for the Ridgeline, which should also fit in the Odyssey's engine bay! Just imagine what you can do to them with a souped-up Odyssey!

No thanks, my Odyssey already gets 13 (11-12 with air on) mpg without forced induction.
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #228 of 250
13mpg?! Holy @£%$! That's terrible! Good job you don't have to pay European (or more specifically, UK) prices for fuel... last time I checked, around my home area in the UK averaged about 88p (US$1.72) per litre...

Guess the poor shafted Europeans have to be more eco-friendly simply so as not to go broke!

Fuel in Queensland is currently hovering around the AU$1.10 mark, which isn't so bad, but still, I couldn't afford 13mpg...

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #229 of 250
Well, I can get 16 if I drive with a really light foot and don't take the engine above 2k rpm, but for just normal driving it usually hovers around 13-15, closer to 15 if I don't get stuck in a lot of traffic. If I run the air, mileage drops to around 12 mpg and if I run the air and I drive with a really heavy foot, mileage can sink into the single digits.

The big thing that kills my mileage though, is that all my mileage is short distance, stop and go city driving. When I drive the car on the freeway (Hard to believe, but I rarely do any kind of freeway driving anymore), it'll get about 17 mpg. Gas here is about $2.70 a gallon and with a 20 gallon tank, well, now you know why I've been using the bus more often.
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #230 of 250
Ouch- my car gets between 29-35mpg depending on what sort of driving I've been doing!

Mar 1, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #231 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No thanks, my Odyssey already gets 13 (11-12 with air on) mpg without forced induction.
tongue.gif

Actually forced induction, atleast turbocharger, improves gas mileage in normal driving... Supercharger might be different story though cuz its device that is spinned mechanically by engine.

Mar 15, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #232 of 250
Quote:

Well, I can get 16 if I drive with a really light foot and don't take the engine above 2k rpm, but for just normal driving it usually hovers around 13-15, closer to 15 if I don't get stuck in a lot of traffic. If I run the air, mileage drops to around 12 mpg and if I run the air and I drive with a really heavy foot, mileage can sink into the single digits.

The big thing that kills my mileage though, is that all my mileage is short distance, stop and go city driving. When I drive the car on the freeway (Hard to believe, but I rarely do any kind of freeway driving anymore), it'll get about 17 mpg. Gas here is about $2.70 a gallon and with a 20 gallon tank, well, now you know why I've been using the bus more often.
tongue.gif

Is the old Odyssey really that fuel-hungry?
confused.gif
My new Odyssey is pretty good with fuel, and it's got pretty long legs for road trips. The VCM feature certainly helps some (it cuts off half the cylinders whenever possible) and it's quite fun trying to keep that little "ECO" lamp on.

However, it's quite hard to ignore the temptation to scream that engine up to the 6.1k redline, because it sounds incredible while doing it, and it's certainly a minivan that can pin you back in your seat... Gotta love that torque! I almost forgot how fast I was going when the turn-off to the university's main entrance passed by, and I clamped down pretty fast while downshifting (yes, in an automatic, by moving the gear lever.
rolleyes.gif
) and the Ody just responded nicely, with a little bit of dive and a little bit of roll - but definitely less than what a Sienna/Uplander/Caravan/Quest would've done.

Today, I'm going to go haul some speakers home with the Odyssey too...
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
Actually forced induction, atleast turbocharger, improves gas mileage in normal driving... Supercharger might be different story though cuz its device that is spinned mechanically by engine.

That sounds about right, because the supercharger ends up being a parasite on the engine until the boost kicks in high enough to make a difference, while the turbocharger relies on exhaust gases to spin it up. The advantage of the supercharger is longevity of the system and the absence of boost lag compared to (most) single turbocharger systems.

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #233 of 250
Quote:

tongue.gif

Not so bad. One of my cars gets a maximum of 13 mpg and averages about 8 mpg. It gets about 4 mpg at open throttle.

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #234 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not so bad. One of my cars gets a maximum of 13 mpg and averages about 8 mpg. It gets about 4 mpg at open throttle.

That is just stupid, 4mpg !!!!

There is a new VW that does around 65mph, can drive from Germany to London in 1 tank of petrol without refill.

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #237 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this a 12 cylinder?
eggosmile.gif

No, a 700 HP SCed 6.0 liter v8 Mercedes that was custom made for me by Evosport. My other car, a normal CL500 gets much more normal gas mileage.

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #238 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is just stupid, 4mpg !!!!

There is a new VW that does around 65mph, can drive from Germany to London in 1 tank of petrol without refill.

Tell me about it. I ran out of gas once. My wife brought me 2 gallons. I didn't even make it to the next exit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back