American can't make cars?
Jun 14, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 250
this from a country that gave us the dubious build quality of Jaguar and Range Rover?

of course, having said that, i don't disagree. then again, i know squat about autos.

Jun 14, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 250
Eh, I didn't care too much for the article. It's very obvious he's already biased toward Euro cars, so I don't think driving a Mustang was going to change his perspective in the least.

They like luxury cars, we like an automobile that will get us front point A to point B. Why would American manufacturers try to accomodate a civilization who, as a whole, just needs a car and not a luxury car? They don't, because they're a company trying to make money and help people keep their jobs. I'll take my American car over his Euro any day of the week.
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08

They like luxury cars, we like an automobile that will get us front point A to point B. Why would American manufacturers try to accomodate a civilization who, as a whole, just needs a car and not a luxury car? They don't, because they're a company trying to make money and help people keep their jobs. I'll take my American car over his Euro any day of the week.
biggrin.gif

That's actually what he is saying, Americans see cars as a tool, europeans sees it as a luxury item.

Jun 14, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 250
It's a funny read. He has some valid points, but VicAjax makes a good point.

This was worth repeating:
Quote:

And on a challenging road about as much fun as a wasabi enema.

eek.gif

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin
That's actually what he is saying, Americans see cars as a tool, europeans sees it as a luxury item.

Europeans get more, but they pay a lot more too. The 1.8l Honda Civic in Britain sells for $25,000 USD! Naturally it's a more upscale vehicle than the Civic we get, because our Civic is aimed at a much lower price point.

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 250
Quote:

I know that's what he's saying. But I'm simply pointing out that it would be stupid for American car manufacturers to try and move towards making just luxury cars because thats not what Americans want. So his whole argument is pointless, because American car companies build what Americans want. Not what Europeans want.

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08
I know that's what he's saying. But I'm simply pointing out that it would be stupid for American car manufacturers to try and move towards making just luxury cars because thats not what Americans want. So his whole argument is pointless, because American car companies build what Americans want. Not what Europeans want.

Not about what who want, I know the mustang suits the roads in the US. But just a direct comparison in terms of build quality, handling, comfort, according to the writer, european cars are better.

Unless you are saying americans likes bad build quality, bad handling, and bad rides......
tongue.gif
evil_smiley.gif

p.s. I don't see BMW as luxury cars, every other person here owns one it seems.

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 250
Quote:

But just a direct comparison in terms of build quality, handling, comfort, according to the writer, european cars are better.

All points are noted, but still moot, because all are based on personal opinion. Maybe I think Mustangs are more comfortable? He also failed to mention the cost differences and costs to upkeep one of these luxury automobiles in the US.

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 250
Quote:

Not about what who want, I know the mustang suits the roads in the US. But just a direct comparison in terms of build quality, handling, comfort, according to the writer, european cars are better.

Unless you are saying americans likes bad build quality, bad handling, and bad rides......
tongue.gif
evil_smiley.gif

p.s. I don't see BMW as luxury cars, every other person here owns one it seems.

re: build quality... the europeans have little to brag about in this category, with a few notable exceptions. you want BQ, go Japanese. and if you look at the sales numbers, that's exactly what Americans tend to do.

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 250
I'd have to agree with Mr. Clarkson here. American car manufacturers just can't build them like the foreigners can. The only American car that readily comes to mind as a car that I would really enjoy is the Ford GT (which Clarkson highly approves of and also owns). Other than that, the American auto philosophy is much more about "Lets put as large an engine as we can and make this thing do 0-60 as fast as possible." The Europeans are much more about handling and how the car performs when pushed past the limit. How else do you end up with cars like the Lotus Elise and the Ariel Atom? They both have engines that produce less than 200 bhp and yet the Atom accelerates as fast as a Mclaren F1! Anyways, there's my two cents.

Aditya

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #13 of 250
I know it is not from one of the major American automakers but I wonder what he would say about a Saleen S7?

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #14 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
I enjoyed the read, but the funny thing that he failed to mention is that he owns an american sportscar...a Ford GT...

The first one he had was a nightmare, so bad he actually took it back for a refund. The alarm went off when he was driving it one day, and he got a phone call saying his car has been stolen (when he was in it !). Then Ford sent him another one to try out, which he kept.

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #15 of 250
Quote:

The first one he had was a nightmare, so bad he actually took it back for a refund. The alarm went off when he was driving it one day, and he got a phone call saying his car has been stolen (when he was in it !). Then Ford sent him another one to try out, which he kept.

Yeah I've seen him on Top Gear call it the most unreliable car ever built...it's nice looking though. I miss Top Gear, don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the World Cup, but I want Top Gear back on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back