American can't make cars?
Oct 27, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #242 of 250
I'd still buy a nice Cadillac if I had the money. I mean those are luxury cars arent they? But the new Vette's are pretty sweet.

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #243 of 250
Pontiac GTO, Nuff said

(the pointiac GTO is actually a australian car called Holden monaro)

its all about taste, in the states you have cheap gas (not for long) and long boring roads to cruise,

in europe we have 7-8 buck a gallon gas (gallon still 4.6 liters ?) and curvier roads, also city streets are somewhat tighter here as along or large cities are based on old towns,

what im saying is that alot of the cars they sell in the US wouldnt make sense in europe, and alot of the cars made in europe would drive you mad on a long intersate,

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #244 of 250
european and japanese cards are just better put together. When they do use plastics they are tight not flimsy and loose. American interiors flex a lot and I hate that.

Oct 28, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #245 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to Jeremy Clarkson (he's a Car show host on a show here in the UK, very funny man), and after reading his article, I think he has a point !

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...794313,00.html

What are you (is he) talking about? I built a car yesterday. And like 3 the day before. *flex*

Oct 28, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #246 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
european and japanese cards are just better put together. When they do use plastics they are tight not flimsy and loose. American interiors flex a lot and I hate that.

Counter-example: Subaru.

My Forester's interior is cheap, cheap, cheap.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #247 of 250
At the end of the day, you can no longer truthfully say that one car manufacturer currently makes better cars then anyone else...because it just doesn't happen. Toyota is getting pwned right now in reliability, which is comical considering that's what they were known for. And of course, EVERYONE doesn't care, and still think that Yota makes top notch cars. They've been making good cars for so long that everyone just assumes that a Toyota will last forever.

And the opposite can be sade for American cars. American makers had a ahrd time in the 80's and 90's. They just were not producing anything that could match the Japanese auto giants. Now, however, that has changed. Ford has a very impressive lineup right now, and GM is certainly doing a lot in terms of enviromentally friendly cars (and need Imention the Vette?). But since they've had the rep of producing lame cars for the last 20 years, no one will touch them.

Of all my friends, about 75% own imports. I've only owned GM cars. So far mine have had just as many major breakdowns and such as the others. The only bad thing I can say is about my 2000 Bonneville...that things just a piece of crap. But otherwise, my friend has a 96 Jetta. It breaks all the time. In fact, the coils are ins such a bad position that when it rains, he pretty much can't drive. The rain gets into the block and shorts out, and he's stalled on teh freeway for the next hour.

Moral of the story? People need to open their eyes, and stop making decisions based on what others think. Don't buy a car because it's supposed to be very reliable...buy one because it actually is.

And don't think I'm trying to tell everyone to buy American or you're supporting terrorism or something...I'm not. I work for Ford, and I see enough of those morons every day. It just pisses me off when someone tells me I should be driving a freakin' Civic since they're god's gift to the automotive world, and that my American pile won't last until 100,000 miles.

So...enough of my rant.

And my Dad's Camaro probably gets a good 8 mpg freeway cruising...Big Block chevy FTMFW!

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #248 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeywhat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I've only owned GM cars.... I work for Ford...

What, seriously? Don't you get lynched when you drive up to your workplace or something?
eek.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #249 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter5812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Corvette. Nuff said. =P

x2
The Americans sure can make cars, even if its far between the stunning ones...
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #250 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What, seriously? Don't you get lynched when you drive up to your workplace or something?
eek.gif

Well, for one, I'm a contractor, but work at the plant. But either way, no one cares if you drive a GM or Chrysler...they just don't like a lot on imports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back