American can't make cars?
Feb 26, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #196 of 250
Those Pintos are positively explosive!
tongue.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #197 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have driven both and I dont think they are slower than my 3.8lt Mercury Sable.
biggrin.gif

All '80 US cars suck powerwise... Every one of them.

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #198 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Americans can't make cars? [size=medium]PHOOEY!!!
[/size]

Aztec
2001431301.jpg

Pinto
pinto-74.jpg

Dynasty
93_dodge_dynasty.jpg

That old Pinto actually looks quite cute. I would atleast drive one, if I could get one in very good shape.
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #199 of 250
Is it just me, or is this thread mixed up. My Toyota Camry was made in America. It runs just fine! Fords are made in Korea. I live right next to a BMW dealership that has many BMWs made in Greenville, SC. So Americans can make cars: that's why many foriegn car companies have plants here!!
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #201 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it just me, or is this thread mixed up. My Toyota Camry was made in America. It runs just fine! Fords are made in Korea. I live right next to a BMW dealership that has many BMWs made in Greenville, SC. So Americans can make cars: that's why many foriegn car companies have plants here!!
biggrin.gif

And Viceversa. But where it is designed also matters, and what budget each model is given.

We used to have Toyota Camry. Very good car IMHO. Only problem was "rubberband-like" automatic gears. Very sluggish, RPM and actual speed didnt rise in synch, but speed lagged behind like being hanged in rubber rope.
blink.gif
What the heck...?

But otherwise it was really good car. Unfortunately we sold it away.

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #202 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And Viceversa. But where it is designed also matters, and what budget each model is given.

But otherwise it was really good car. Unfortunately we sold it away.

Well the title of the thread was that "Americans can't make cars"....obviously they can if a lot of foreign cars are made here
biggrin.gif

As for the Camry....at least Toyota does seem pretty good about updating it with each generation. When I got my new one, I was surprised at how many features that were once only "luxury" were standard.

As for designs, I think it really depends on what type of car. Sedans, Japanese do it right IMO. Even German luxury cars are still rear wheel drive: personally I like front wheel better. Sports cars, Italians and Americans (Ford GT or Corvette). SUVs....well I think Hummers are ugly, but others seem to like them.
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #204 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This guy strongly disagrees with you.

800px1987buickgrandnatiag2.jpg

...except that one!
icon10.gif
(totally forgot the existence of that buick.) Some consider it as the last breed of US musclecars, though I consider it sort of person son: It used turboed 6-banger instead of NA V8, IIRC, no?

But it sure looks gorgeus. Either that or Dodge Mirada with un-energycrisised V8 are best of the era, in looks aswell.

Feb 26, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #208 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even German luxury cars are still rear wheel drive: personally I like front wheel better.

ermmmm who says front wheel drive is necessarily better?
confused.gif
Sports cars are rear wheel drive for a reason, it is easier to push something than to pull something. Plus you can drift in a RWD, can't do that with a FWD.

Formula 1 racing cars with 800 horsepower are rear wheel drive you know.

Feb 27, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #210 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh?
confused.gif

Pinto's had a reputation for exploding when rear ended:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto

I remember a film joke about that in a movie (I think by Mel Brooks) where a a car was breaking very heavily till it stopped exactly barely kissing a car's rear end; then a close-up of the model of the rear-ended car was displayed (Ford Pinto), then a gigantic explosion followed
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back