AMB mini3 by hohodiy.com
Aug 23, 2008 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 163

xlin58

Head-Fier
My sister was in Taiwan until Thursday so while she was there, I told her to order a kit for me. The kit is from hohodiy.com and it follows the amb site exactly except that it includes a set of aluminum faceplates and uses a red LED instead of blue for power. The kit was easy to assemble and a first time solder-er like me was even able to build i without a hitch.
Here are some pictures of me building them.

All unboxed.

The pcb clipped in. The pcb was surprisingly good quality. I've just solder-ed the op amps on.

/img156/dsc09429re2.jpg/1/w768.png
Some resistor etc solder-ed on. EASY!

There it is. Alll done. BTW the dude didn't send me the screw for the voltage refulator but luckily i found one in y house. So the real screw and nut is smaller.

Case, plates, and cord (which i also ordered from hoho. becasuse I am lazy).

All done with my old ass creative zvm and Beyer dt770. I'm getting a D2.

Overall I'm very happy with this kit. It came out looking sharp and it sounds great. The soundscape and balance are high points for me. My only complaint was that the included LED was red not blue :p.

Aug 24, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #4 of 163
That looks very nice with that vol knob and end panels. Is it something that you have to be there locally to get? I wont be in Taiwan for a long time but a friend of mine goes every few months. Can you post more info on the company, where you ordered it from etc?

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I wonder if this guy has permission

He seems to think so,
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvin1118
AMB Mini3 assembled set is manufactured and assembled by hohodiy, Taiwan. hohodiy is the authorized AMB lab dealer/distributor in Taiwan.

From Amb Lab Mini3 Headphone Amp - www.hardwarezone.com.sg .

I'm assuming that hohodiy and alvin1118 are one and the same!

Aug 24, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if this guy has permission to be selling any of the kits that he is.

Other than for courtesy, does one need permission to resell PCBs?

Aug 24, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 163
hohodiy has permission from me to resell the boards and make kits, much like glassjar audio does. The guy started with local group-buys for Taiwan DIYers to save on shipping costs and now runs a DIY-oriented blog and website.

Aug 24, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by sid_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other than for courtesy, does one need permission to resell PCBs?

Yes, you certainly do. That board layout is Ti's property, I'm not sure of the status of the MHM pcb and what issues there would be if someone were to use that without permission.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hohodiy has permission from me to resell the boards and make kits, much like glassjar audio does. The guy started with local group-buys for Taiwan DIYers to save on shipping costs and now runs a DIY-oriented blog and website.

I'm glad to hear of this Ti. There are far too many instances of abuse of the information and knowledge that people like you share.

Aug 24, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #11 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you certainly do. That board layout is Ti's property, I'm not sure of the status of the MHM pcb and what issues there would be if someone were to use that without permission.

Ah right, okay. I thought that hohodiy was just ordering PCBs from AMB then reselling them abroad. I didn't realize he was making his own PCBs with the board layout.

Aug 24, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by sid_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah right, okay. I thought that hohodiy was just ordering PCBs from AMB then reselling them abroad. I didn't realize he was making his own PCBs with the board layout.

No, hohodiy's Mini³ boards are genuine, official boards from me. It does appear that he uses a custom case rather than the standard Hammond.

Full kits have their place, but I feel that the DIY experience would be enriched by including the parts selection and collection process, rather than having someone else spoon-feed you the whole package. The latter is easier, but you don't learn as much.

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #14 of 163
I am Taiwanese but born in the US. I had my dad help me out haha. I agree with amb that collecting the parts etc is better but I dind't want to wait for another shipment to come in to mouser for a resistor and it was cheaper this way. Also I didn't have time since I'm being shipped off to college soon.

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #15 of 163
I just did one of my first parts selection for ck2III, it took about a week to read through all the info on headwize, collected other people's BOM, and read up on different configs for gain, input / output transistors and in the end I took AMB's suggested BOM. Through all that I did wish there was the easy button and jeff still had the kits, not sure how much info I gained. I do know I would had a horrible weekend if I didnt catch alot of ordering errors. I guess once completed I will know if all that was worth the trouble, the ends and the means.

btw AMB hope my ck2iii board and matching jfets come soon
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back