AMB mini3 by hohodiy.com
Aug 25, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #16 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just did one of my first parts selection for ck2III, it took about a week to read through all the info on headwize, collected other people's BOM, and read up on different configs for gain, input / output transistors and in the end I took AMB's suggested BOM. Through all that I did wish there was the easy button and jeff still had the kits, not sure how much info I gained. I do know I would had a horrible weekend if I didnt catch alot of ordering errors. I guess once completed I will know if all that was worth the trouble, the ends and the means.

btw AMB hope my ck2iii board and matching jfets come soon
biggrin.gif

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Jeff does still offer kits. He doesn't have them on his website but if you email him he still sells them. I just ordered mine
wink.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #17 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Full kits have their place, but I feel that the DIY experience would be enriched by including the parts selection and collection process, rather than having someone else spoon-feed you the whole package. The latter is easier, but you don't learn as much.

I so agree - developing and provisioning the BOM is the highlight (or at least the most optimistic part) of all my builds. This is also where you make a decision to live with design / parts choices.

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #18 of 163
I emailed him couple weeks ago and didn't get an answer so I took it as a silent no. Oh well but no bubbles burst.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Jeff does still offer kits. He doesn't have them on his website but if you email him he still sells them. I just ordered mine
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #19 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, hohodiy's Mini³ boards are genuine, official boards from me. It does appear that he uses a custom case rather than the standard Hammond.

Full kits have their place, but I feel that the DIY experience would be enriched by including the parts selection and collection process, rather than having someone else spoon-feed you the whole package. The latter is easier, but you don't learn as much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I so agree - developing and provisioning the BOM is the highlight (or at least the most optimistic part) of all my builds. This is also where you make a decision to live with design / parts choices.

Unfortunately for us folks living in Australia, access to a decent supplier that is close enough to visit yourself, or an online supplier that doesn't charge through the roof postage fee's are non existant.

Dick Smiths or Jaycars just don't stock the goods you folks specify. I have made do with components i can source locally, and compared to these kits you can buy, the final product is sonically way behind the full kit's some folks are offering.

I wish it wasn't the case, but unfortunately it is just the way it is. You folks in USA, Canada etc should count your component access blessings
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #21 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately for us folks living in Australia, access to a decent supplier that is close enough to visit yourself, or an online supplier that doesn't charge through the roof postage fee's are non existant.

Dick Smiths or Jaycars just don't stock the goods you folks specify. I have made do with components i can source locally, and compared to these kits you can buy, the final product is sonically way behind the full kit's some folks are offering.

I wish it wasn't the case, but unfortunately it is just the way it is. You folks in USA, Canada etc should count your component access blessings
wink.gif

HoHoDIY can ship your package to Australia, the postage is about 13 AUD, here is the rate
http://www.hohodiy.com/express-post.aspx
Although the English website is under construction, you still can mail him to place the order.
regular_smile .gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #22 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Although i agree with what you say, there is a significant cost to that to most people outside of the USA. i mean i sourced all the parts for my Millet starving student, and that was 60 pounds without the power supply, or the tubes/sockets, both of which i will have to get from the usa. Even though i used sightly better and upgraded parts, even taking that into account the price is 2 times as much. And this is for the cheapest (well one of them) build around. if i decide to (and i won't, but this is just an example) do it for something like the bijou, i dread to think how much extra i will have to pay.

Sep 16, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #24 of 163
The panels are no doubt customized, but I wonder if the extrusion is custom-made as well. The corner screws looks nicer than the 2-screw hammonds, and I'd buy a couple if there was a stock-model.

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #28 of 163
Hi,

Yeah, finally, hohodiy is up with English, Chinese, Singapore, and Malaysia version!

Please view the Singapore version at the current moment, English site is under maintenance
darthsmile.gif

Regards,
Alvin, hohodiy S'pore & Msia Division
msn: alvin1118@hotmail.com

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #30 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how much the kit it shipped to Australia.

At max. 2480 TWD aka 106 AUD.

It will be less because the prices for the shipping on the page are for 1kg, so once the actual shipping is calculated it will be less than quoted price (530 TWD by EMS, less if you go for normal, slower postage), the kit does not weigh 1Kg, nowhere near.

I purchased a kit a few months back, great price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back