AMB mini3 by hohodiy.com
Jan 10, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #32 of 163
Getting old are we?
tongue.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #33 of 163
I'm about to order the mini3 kit myself as my first diy amp, it is so cheap! Plus I am in HK, so shipping is quicker than glass jar.

Just wondering, are there anything worth upgrading? Like capacitors and such?

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #34 of 163
Woot! Just ordered a kit from hohodiy.

Can't wait to smell the solder fumes. Might go and pick up a helping hand with magnifying glass, some 0.015 solder and flux first though. I'm slightly worried my cheapo Nicholson soldering iron might not be fine enough for the op-amps though. Already have some good tweezers at home, so they should come in handy.

Chiefroastbeef, did you use any flux with yours?

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #35 of 163
Oh definitely pick up a helping hand and mag. glass. I did all the soldering, both my mini3 and alien dac with my cheap $8USD iron. But I'm thinking about getting a station, though I'm not sure if I will be in this diy for the long term.

You should also pick up a bottle of pure alcohol and clean the board after you are done. Mine was a mess, flux everywhere for a couple of weeks before I was able to locate some pure alcohol. I finally found some, drowned the board in alcohol(don't dunk the electrolytic caps), and scrubbed it with a toothbrush. Man it looked beautiful and clean.

The solder I use already has a flux core, so I didn't need an extra tub of flux. Just remember to clean the tip often with the sponge.

If you want, I can take some detailed photos of my board, so you can check your work with it. I'd look at the pictures of the mini3 board I've found on the web, and compare mine against the one in the picture.

For the op amps, like most have mentioned, do this:

1. Put solder on one of the op amp pads on the board.
2. Use tweezers to position the op amp, solder the leg to the pad.
3. Do the rest of the legs, making sure the legs touch the silver pads on the board

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #36 of 163
Yep, some detailed pics would be cool to check op-amp positioning. The SMD op-amps are what worry me; The through-hole stuff I've done before, so that is fine. Might also order a power adapter from them as well (Only $8AUD, so why not
tongue.gif
). Taiwan is 220V/240V, no?

I'm currently trying to read as much of the Headwize mini3 thread, and am studying the AMB mini3 website silkscreen and BOM to understand where all the parts go.

Damn the helping hand is expensive though......

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #37 of 163
Taiwan is 115V 60Hz.
Btw, the rosin core in the solder is not really sufficient for SMD work. I strongly recommend getting some liquid flux (either bottle or a flux pen). It will make your job a lot easier.

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #38 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Damn the helping hand is expensive though......

I went to Dicksmith the other day and the helping hand there was on special so i got one for $12.99AUD. Might be the same for melb
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #39 of 163
Hmm, I think I shall give Dick Smith a visit tomorrow morning on the way to the gym.

Thanks AMB. I always thought Taiwan was 220V for some reason. The sales rep at hohodiy said that they had a transformer that worked, but I fired off another email to them to make sure its compatible for 240V.

Got any good construction tips? I think I'll take my time with this one, but should probably get it done in 1 day. The SMD soldering tutorial video looks so easy....

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #41 of 163
Hong Kong has no customs tax, woohoo, it was a deal for me!

Feb 10, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #42 of 163
They have some cool stuff.

KHOHORA1.jpg

What is this? It looks like an ALPS pot but what is the circuit with it??

Feb 10, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #43 of 163
It is the Grado RA-1 clone, they offer this amp with a dac designed by Neo(I assume he is from Taiwan as well, and no the main character in the Matrix).

Feb 10, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #44 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitarist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The kits looks nice but when you count the duty fees + tax + shipping its not really a deal anymore

I haven't been slapped with custom fees as well.

The RA1 clone looks interesting. I wonder if its difficult to construct. Sent them an email to get more info about it (e.g. RCA/mini IO, power source) since I might build one.

Feb 10, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #45 of 163
Here's a high-res shot I found on google
http://blog.neochen.com/pic/06051829.jpg

EDIT: Comprehensive construction tutorial on hohodiy blog: http://blog.neochen.com/article.asp?id=66

Heck, there's a comprehensive construction tutorial for the mini3 kit. Hurray for being able to read Chinese! http://blog.neochen.com/article.asp?id=486

I'm going to order one. Not too expensive (heck, at $14AUD, I'll just buy one less car magazine for the month
tongue.gif
), and looks like a simple and fun project. I'm going to do as much DIY as possible before uni starts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back