AMB Gamma2 DAC sound impressions?
Aug 25, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #121 of 185
Suppose I should continue saving for a Gamma2 then. Would loooove to hear one with my M^3 and DT880 600ohm 
biggrin.gif
 Can't bring myself to sell my HF-2 to fund the Gamma2 though. Beginning to love them again 
confused.gif
 Looks like I would have to get it built by MisterX. Buying new is always expensive, though 
frown.gif
 I love buying used. Bought my M^3 used (currently have AD8065 in L and R channels and OPA627 in Ground) with a huge 24V power pack for the equiv of $200us 
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #122 of 185

Quote:
Just wanted to quickly update the thread. I have a Buffalo 32s now ($1500 in parts) and you'd be surprised at how close the y2 is. This DAC is a huge bargain at its asking price (I paid $400 shipped for my MisterX-built y2).

Thankfully I don't need a balanced system yet so the γ2 will stick with me for the unforeseeable future. I even built my β22 single-ended! 

Aug 25, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #123 of 185

Quote:
You can always PM him, shaggy.

I'm not serious about buying right now, so I thought I should just ask here. I was also considering building it myself.

Quote:
Just wanted to quickly update the thread. I have a Buffalo 32s now ($1500 in parts) and you'd be surprised at how close the y2 is. This DAC is a huge bargain at its asking price (I paid $400 shipped for my MisterX-built y2).

Shahrose, can you also compare the Buffalo to the y2 more in-depth? Also, does the $400 include the power supply?

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #124 of 185

Quote:
     Quote:

Shahrose, can you also compare the Buffalo to the y2 more in-depth? Also, does the $400 include the power supply?

EDIT: I want to clarify that the $400 was in CAD currency at the time. The price I paid in USD was less. You should PM MisterX for the exact quote, which may or may not have changed. It came with the switching power supply too for that price.

The Buffalo is a bit more detailed in the treble and is far more unforgiving of recordings. Bad recordings sound terrible, while good ones sound amazing. The y2 makes almost everything sound good, though not always amazing.
Initial impressions also indicate that the Buffalo has a more airy/holographic soundstage. I think the y2 is smoother and somewhat warmer (perhaps a tiny bit bassier too), which may explain why it's more forgiving of recordings.

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #125 of 185

Quote:
Suppose I should continue saving for a Gamma2 then. Would loooove to hear one with my M^3 and DT880 600ohm 
biggrin.gif
 Can't bring myself to sell my HF-2 to fund the Gamma2 though. Beginning to love them again 
confused.gif
 Looks like I would have to get it built by MisterX. Buying new is always expensive, though 
frown.gif
 I love buying used. Bought my M^3 used (currently have AD8065 in L and R channels and OPA627 in Ground) with a huge 24V power pack for the equiv of $200us 
evil_smiley.gif

A little OT, but I've owned all those opamps plus more. Over the 30+ comparisons I did during the period I owned the Rockhopper M^3/Sigma-11, I consistently found 3xAD8610 to be the best (fastest, most transparent and neutral). They are also the ones Ti (AMB) recommends. Recently, someone I know who owns a Beta22 swapped the opamps in his M^3 with the AD8610 and he says the gap between the M^3 and Beta lessened considerably.

Aug 25, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #126 of 185
Don't want to derail this discussion, but thank you! I suppose I should try and find 3 AD8610. Any links? I had a look on ebay but want to be 100% sure I am getting the correct ones. Maybe PM me links? Cheers.
Btw, those 6 opamps came with the M^3 (OPA627 and AD8065). Come to think of it, I paid an extremely good price for the M^3 then.

BTtw, you say the Gamma2 is bassier than smoother than the Buffalo, that sounded great to me. I don't like bass heavy 'phones, but I think they could all use a tiny bit more bass than they currently have and be smoother sounding. Gamma2 is sounding like a better and better DAC to buy each day. At times though, I even find my K1000 bass light too bass heavy. Same goes my DT880 600ohm. 

Aug 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #127 of 185

Quote:
BTtw, you say the Gamma2 is bassier than smoother than the Buffalo, that sounded great to me. I don't like bass heavy 'phones, but I think they could all use a tiny bit more bass than they currently have and be smoother sounding. Gamma2 is sounding like a better and better DAC to buy each day. At times though, I even find my K1000 bass light too bass heavy. Same goes my DT880 600ohm. 

Actually, I think the y2 is warmer more than than bassier relative to the Buffalo.  Its smoother and warmer nature allows you to turn up the volume more and it gives you more bass.

I like the lower midrange warmth of the y2 that the Buffalo doesn't have. Where the Buffalo's strengths lie are in its sense of space/soundstage and its more detailed/extended highs (both a bit better than the y2). After spending some time comparing, I think these DACs aren't far apart in quality, but are voiced differently. If I were to choose between the two for SQ though, I'd take the Buffalo. Aside from the differences I mentioned, it seems to have a subtle edge in clarity throughout the frequency range.

Aug 26, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #129 of 185
Wow. I didn't know it could be had for that cheap. Then again with shipping to Aus and a power pack, probably looking at $400 anyway.

Sep 17, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #130 of 185
Having spent a few days with the γ2, I'm very impressed with this little box.

The overall presentation is lovely. It's very balanced, midrange is awesome and the details are there too. It's hard to put it into words, but when I play stuff through this device, it sounds more like music.

This is using USB for power and input. While I'm not in a hurry to get a proper power supply and feed it through S/PDIF, I'm very excited after reading about Shahrose's findings when he went from USB to coax.

Sep 17, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #131 of 185

Quote:
Having spent a few days with the γ2, I'm very impressed with this little box.

The overall presentation is lovely. It's very balanced, midrange is awesome and the details are there too. It's hard to put it into words, but when I play stuff through this device, it sounds more like music.

This is using USB for power and input. While I'm not in a hurry to get a proper power supply and feed it through S/PDIF, I'm very excited after reading about Shahrose's findings when he went from USB to coax.

Depends on the S/PDIF transport though. The USB implementation of the y2 isn't bad at all. But, if you use a sufficiently high-end transport to feed a coaxial signal into the y2, it will sound noticeably better than USB.

Sep 18, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #132 of 185
Yes, I plan on getting a HiFace or a similar device.

Have you tried USB vs. coax when the γ2 is powered by USB? Eventually I will upgrade both but I'm wondering should I go for the power supply or the transport first.

Quote:

Depends on the S/PDIF transport though. The USB implementation of the y2 isn't bad at all. But, if you use a sufficiently high-end transport to feed a coaxial signal into the y2, it will sound noticeably better than USB.

Sep 18, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #133 of 185

Quote:
Yes, I plan on getting a HiFace or a similar device.

Have you tried USB vs. coax when the γ2 is powered by USB? Eventually I will upgrade both but I'm wondering should I go for the power supply or the transport first.

I think the regulated PSU makes a small difference to the SQ (mainly in the bass). I haven't made sure if it's real or placebo, because I haven't done any rigorous tests yet.

Sep 18, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #134 of 185
I switched to coax and I'm happy to report my initial findings match yours. Significant improvement in soundstaging and high end detail. The sound is more refined all around too.

My current transport is Essence STX with some generic freebie cable that isn't probably up to standards.

Time to sleep on it and continue testing tomorrow.

Sep 20, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #135 of 185
i got my gamma 2 from Marshall. but havent had a chance to listen to it yet.. 

can i just get the power adaptor (5v 300ma) off the shelf?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back