AMB Gamma2 DAC sound impressions?
Jan 23, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #167 of 185
Thanks for the much needed detailed review of these three DAC's! I have the y2 in my 2 ch stereo system and I'm building a TPA Opus for head fi use and was considering the Buffalo II. Your's this the 2nd time I've head that the Buffalo II while highly resolving, just wasn't musical.

How does your blackgate'd y2 compare to using the stock parts list from AMB?

Jan 23, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #168 of 185

Quote:
Thank you for the great write-up

You're welcome! 

Quote:
Thanks for the much needed detailed review of these three DAC's! I have the y2 in my 2 ch stereo system and I'm building a TPA Opus for head fi use and was considering the Buffalo II. Your's this the 2nd time I've head that the Buffalo II while highly resolving, just wasn't musical.

How does your blackgate'd y2 compare to using the stock parts list from AMB?

Yeah, the Buffalo II is a curious thing indeed. I wonder if using other linestage designs such as the Legato will yield a different result? I think the potential is all there. 

I'm going with my memories since I modified my γ2 in stages but comparing it with the Silmic II and MKS2 that I used to have there, the sound has become leaner, tighter, brighter and more detailed. I'm still curious about using Muse ES in that position since I haven't tried that before. 

Regarding the Opus, based on my conversation with my good friend he actually prefers the sound without any output stage after all. Very curious. What configuration are you building anyway? 

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #169 of 185

Quote:
Regarding the Opus, based on my conversation with my good friend he actually prefers the sound without any output stage after all. Very curious. What configuration are you building anyway? 

The same as you friend's; Opus with no output stage, metronome, USB. I may add a mux too I have a lot of optical components. Looks like TPA is out of stock on their optical reciever right now.

Jan 23, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #170 of 185
FWIW, in casual comparisons I find my ES/Wima y2 a touch slow and dull compared to my Buffalo and I have never picked up any 'processed' sounding oddities in the treble.

But as I say, casual comparisons - not stringent and detailed. I get bored doing comparisons, and would rather just listen to the music 
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #171 of 185

Quote:
FWIW, in casual comparisons I find my ES/Wima y2 a touch slow and dull compared to my Buffalo and I have never picked up any 'processed' sounding oddities in the treble.

But as I say, casual comparisons - not stringent and detailed. I get bored doing comparisons, and would rather just listen to the music 
wink.gif

I actually agree with you there. One thing I love about the Buffalo II is how clear the damn thing sounds and I guess that's what a discrete DC-coupled output stage can do to your DAC. Shame about its strange timbre though which I begin to feel that it's something inherent to the ESS9018. I tested an older Buffalo some time back before and it had the same issue. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #172 of 185
Coming from the y2, I can see what you mean about the neutrality and "lifelessness" of the Buffalo DACs, though I wouldn't use that term. I personally feel the y2 has a more coloured, smoother, warmer sound (actually every Wolfson DAC I've heard). It also seems to be a touch slower and thus more liquid, but at the expense of articulation and definition the Buffalo provides. The fact that it's more forward in its midrange and bass can also make the sound more involving, but in the end, I much preferred the Buffalo (especially for its rendering of space and depth). It is clearly a better DAC IMO, technically and subjectively for me.

The Buffalo could use more liquidity or "wetness". Some people call it having an organic sound. I can see why some people would enjoy the less Hi-Fi sound of the Opus and y2 though (I do, but not as much as the Buffalo).

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #174 of 185

Quote:
What version and configuration of the Buffalo you have anyway, Shahrose? 

Copy/pasted from builder's (oneplustwo) description:

Buffalo 32S
Dual mono
SE + balanced outputs rear panel
1/4" + 4pin XLR headphones outputs front panel (amped)
RCA, coaxial, USB, optical inputs
AMB e22 relay
Neotech UP-OCC solid core wiring
e24 relay circuit w/ LED ring Bulgin momentary switch
Par metal case w/ Birchwood front
+/- 15V Dual mono bipolar PSUs for analog sections.
Dual 5V PSUs for digital sections (Toslink, 4:1 Mux, Buffalo)

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #176 of 185

Quote:
How much is the gamma 2?

This is a question best left for MisterX or one of the other builders. Just PM them. Not sure if prices have changed in recent months.
Cheers

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #177 of 185
Thanks.  Ya I've checked the site and maybe I ran past the info but I'm curious...=) How do I find this MisterX???
Edit:  His account says its broken....=( and not to send PMs

Quote:
This is a question best left for MisterX or one of the other builders. Just PM them. Not sure if prices have changed in recent months.
Cheers

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #179 of 185
Ya a someone PMed me his addy and I emailed him asking.  I just need to check if he replied yet.  I'm hoping its not too expensive because I'm looking at getting the bottlehead crack to go with the gamma 2.  I'll get to build them both =D

Quote:

The AMB Gamma2 site has his email address as:
x86inside@charter.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back