Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
Dec 3, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #1,786 of 2,017
I have Amazon Music Unlimited installed on my Hiby R6 Pro DAP. The issue I am experiencing is whenever I play music with 360 Reality Audio I get considerable stuttering and skipping in the tracks, but not when I play the same tracks in Ultra HD, or tracks that are presented in Dolby Atmos. As a reference I don’t have the same stuttering on the same 360 Reality Audio tracks when played from my much older LG V30.

Any suggestions or insights?

No suggestions but I believe I'm having the same problem. I hadn't figured out that it was only 360 RA as it seemed somewhat random, but my playlists are mixed format and there weren't many 360 tracks...

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #1,787 of 2,017
No suggestions but I believe I'm having the same problem. I hadn't figured out that it was only 360 RA as it seemed somewhat random, but my playlists are mixed format and there weren't many 360 tracks...
Yup…. On my R6 Pro I consistently have this problem on every 360 track I play, but when I switch the same track from 360 to Ultra HD or HD there is no problem. Playing the very same 360 track on my v30 no problem at all. Either a hardware or software stack problem related to the playback device.

Not sure if Amazon is aware of the issues some have with the 360 tracks on some devices and if there is anything that can be done about it.

At this point the only thing I think I can do is to disable 360 in the Amazon music app, but this also disables Atmos. The tracks will default to HD / Ultra HD.

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #1,788 of 2,017
Yup…. On my R6 Pro I consistently have this problem on every 360 track I play, but when I switch the same track from 360 to Ultra HD or HD there is no problem. Playing the very same 360 track on my v30 no problem at all. Either a hardware or software stack problem related to the playback device.

Not sure if Amazon is aware of the issues some have with the 360 tracks on some devices and if there is anything that can be done about it.

At this point the only thing I think I can do is to disable 360 in the Amazon music app, but this also disables Atmos. The tracks will default to HD / Ultra HD.

Maybe it's just growing pains with the new spatial feature. I hope Amazon gets it sorted as I'm also having issues with my R5.

Dec 4, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #1,789 of 2,017
I posted this in the HiBy R5 forum so I’ll also post it here:

I can confirm that downloaded Ultra HD songs in the Amazon App will play and display as they should at 24bit/192. The same song streamed off Amazon does not.

HD and Standard songs play and display as they should whether downloaded or streamed. However, the HiBy R5 notification bar will show 192 even though the song is not 192khz. Songs played via USB to my DAC will then remove the 192 symbol from the R5 notification bar.

So, if you want to listen to HiRes music (24bit/192) on the HiBy R5 you must download it.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #1,790 of 2,017
So I’m noticing that songs will stream on my iPhone 12 in 24/192, or 24/96, but will not stream on my android devices that way. They will play that way if downloaded. Am I missing something? Or is this just they way it is now, songs used to stream in 24/192-96 on android, but the highest they will go now is 16/44.

Dec 11, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #1,791 of 2,017
So I’m noticing that songs will stream on my iPhone 12 in 24/192, or 24/96, but will not stream on my android devices that way. They will play that way if downloaded. Am I missing something? Or is this just they way it is now, songs used to stream in 24/192-96 on android, but the highest they will go now is 16/44.

It's been a while since I've used that service, but I believe the app has a setting for the highest stream quality and it might have reset itself.

Dec 11, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #1,793 of 2,017
I have it set to highest quality for both downloading and streaming.

Then, I guess typical trouble-shooting efforts might include:
  1. Reboot the device
  2. Remove and re-install the Amazon HD Music app
  3. If you have other streaming music service installed on the same device, see if those will stream at a higher resolution
  4. Contact Amazon support, but be prepared to wait a while for responses and answer the same questions (worded differently) several times
Hopefully, someone else has had a similar experience and can be more helpful that I.

Dec 11, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #1,794 of 2,017

It seems to depend on the Android device. My R5 only goes to 44.1 kHz, but my R6 2020 works all the way to 192 kHz. I suspect the Amazon app still needs some work.

Dec 11, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #1,795 of 2,017
Then, I guess typical trouble-shooting efforts might include:
  1. Reboot the device
  2. Remove and re-install the Amazon HD Music app
  3. If you have other streaming music service installed on the same device, see if those will stream at a higher resolution
  4. Contact Amazon support, but be prepared to wait a while for responses and answer the same questions (worded differently) several times
Hopefully, someone else has had a similar experience and can be more helpful that I.
Yea, tried rebooting device, removing and reinstalling app. No other music players on device. Not worth the mental fatigue of contacting them…😂 I really can’t tell the difference between the two resolutions, was just curious.

Dec 11, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #1,796 of 2,017
Dec 11, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #1,797 of 2,017
I’ve subscribed to Amazon Music for nearly 2 years now. To get ultra HD I streamed from my laptop connected to my receiver through a DAC. It mostly showed 24bit 192khz. Although there were suggestions on forums that it isn’t bit perfect and what is reported by Amazon is not entirely true, I was always pleased with the SQ.

I recently purchased a HiBy R5. Although it appeared to be a quality device, it could not play AM in UHD. Apparently, this a temporary issue with the current Amazon update on this device. To make a long story short, I returned the R5 and started rethinking a different streaming service as well. I looked into Tidal, Qobuz and Apple Music, etc.

Apple Music came out on top for all my needs. It seamlessly integrates my downloaded and ripped CD collection into my streamed library, has “Roonish” UI and can display my music on my big screen in the living room. It does scrolling lyrics like Amazon and has 24bit 48-192khz. It made thr most sense at the low price (same as AM) and the fact that our family is already heavily into the IOS ecosystem.

So I contacted Amazon through their online chat to see if I could terminate the 7 months still left on my annual membership as I was not getting 24bit/192 on the R5 (I had just returned). I was prepared for a “No” from the rep, or best case scenario, they would refund me for the months I hadn’t used yet. To my surprise they refunded the whole year!

I’ve had Apple Music for just a week now and Im really enjoying the service. I don’t miss anything about AM. My main listening at home is through an AppleTV 4K>Schiit Modi DAC>Marantz 2245 Receiver. Apple remote on my iPhone from the couch is so easy and seamless. Now, I was prepared to make a small sacrifice on sound quality as it is apparently at a maximum of 24bit/48khz through AppleTVs (current maximum). This is a little less than what I was getting through Amazon UHD. However, the sound quality is amazing! It is noticeably better than AM. I don’t know why it sounds significantly better, as I really can’t understand how it could be. The whole system is the same except the player.

AppleMusic:
Apple TV4K (24/48)>toslink digital out (HDMI extractor)>Schiit DAC>Marantz 2245 Receiver>Wharfedale Diamond Towers.

Amazon Music:
Windows Laptop (sound settings 24/192 in Windows)>USB in>Schiit DAC>Marantz 2245 Receiver>Wharfedale Diamond Towers.

I’m not saying that Apple Music has superior SQ but it certainly sounds that way on my setup. The difference is obvious.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #1,799 of 2,017
Y
@Nellie75, every time you mentioned "AM", I was wondering Apple Music or Amazon Music :o2smile:
Didn’t think about that! That’s confusing. I used AM for just Amazon Music.

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #1,800 of 2,017
Hello everyone! New to this thread here. Quick question....

I use Amazon Music PC app. It seems to me that the amazon music app always upsample stream data to the max of what your "device" is capable of. In my case, my DAC is good for 192K... so the amazon music app always upsample the music to 192K. Would someone be able to confirm if that is the case? Thanks a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back