Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
Aug 5, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #1,351 of 2,016
What you get with the node 2i is pretty nice software that makes it easier to manage multiple streaming subscriptions from one app rather than multiple desktop apps on a tablet or PC. You can control the node 2i from a tablet, pc, or phone though. And the other thing is the MQA support which was the reason I selected it instead of something else.

The internal DAC is good. It is not as good as a Hugo...

But, I believe the coax out is limited to 24/96 so if you use MQA passthrough you will need a DAC that can do full unfold. I realize this is amazon HD thread not Tidal, but the node 2i is kinda superb for streaming Tidal on a budget.

What's the limit for Amazon Music HD?

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #1,352 of 2,016
Aug 9, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #1,353 of 2,016
Aug 10, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #1,354 of 2,016
I meant

The sample and bit-rate limitation when using Amazon HD through Coax to an external DAC. Is it also 24/96 like Tidal?

Coax is good for 24/192 as far as I know. Tidal is not limited to 24/96, lots of confusion :)

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #1,355 of 2,016
I just signed up for the Amazon Music HD trial (which is back down to 30 days) and I'll be doing a lot of comparisons to Spotify premium. Aside from Amazon being louder, my initial impression is that there is something that sounds a little different about it but I don't know if it is necessarily better. I'll try to report back my findings once I've had more time to compare.

Sep 10, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #1,356 of 2,016
All of these hi res services need to steal from apple and sererate albums,songs,and eps. Add dates in chronological order. Amazon HD has the best stations feature and qobuz has none. Amazon HD adds lyrics which I love. But qobuz is more elegant and includes liner notes big plus. I haven’t mentioned tidal much because of the price difference. they might have a larger catalog of more popular stuff but I believe qobuz could be just as vast in no time. I’d prefer not to select Amazon HD because I think they’re an evil company. They’re not good for small businesses and I d think they sound as good as qobuz or tidal.

Sep 11, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #1,357 of 2,016
Aa for price on Tidal since you mentioned it there's ways to pay less. I am in the USA and have a USA account and after all taxes and whatnot paying a year at a time I'm at $9.50/mo and that's for the HiFi/Master tier.

Sep 11, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #1,358 of 2,016
Aa for price on Tidal since you mentioned it there's ways to pay less. I am in the USA and have a USA account and after all taxes and whatnot paying a year at a time I'm at $9.50/mo and that's for the HiFi/Master tier.
What are some of those ways?

Sep 11, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #1,359 of 2,016
Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #1,360 of 2,016

And I think it’s been stated before, but the yearly Tidal subscription through Best Buy works for current Tidal subscribers as well without the need to create a new account with a new email. You have to cancel the current Tidal subscription and wait for it to expire, then purchase the annual membership from BestBuy to reactivate the expired account. I can confirm this method keeps all saved playlists and saved artists intact.

Sep 11, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #1,361 of 2,016
And I think it’s been stated before, but the yearly Tidal subscription through Best Buy works for current Tidal subscribers as well without the need to create a new account with a new email. You have to cancel the current Tidal subscription and wait for it to expire, then purchase the annual membership from BestBuy to reactivate the expired account. I can confirm this method keeps all saved playlists and saved artists intact.

Agreed, that's exactly what I did... Cancelled on July 31 and added back on August 1 with no issues, same account.

Sep 11, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #1,362 of 2,016
I wasn't aware of this and may try it. But the link quotes $119/year for HiFi, unless there's a additional available discount. That's still half of the $20/month I currently pay. TBH, I don't understand anyone griping about Tidal's price--even at $20 for unlimited access to high quality recordings of roughly 95% of the music I want to hear, Tidal is a bargain IMO. (And it's not because I have money to burn--I'm retired on a fixed income, the vast majority of which is just Social Security.)

Sep 11, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #1,363 of 2,016
I wasn't aware of this and may try it. But the link quotes $119/year for HiFi, unless there's a additional available discount. That's still half of the $20/month I currently pay. TBH, I don't understand anyone griping about Tidal's price--even at $20 for unlimited access to high quality recordings of roughly 95% of the music I want to hear, Tidal is a bargain IMO. (And it's not because I have money to burn--I'm retired on a fixed income, the vast majority of which is just Social Security.)

If you create a free Best Buy account (or log in) it should drop to $99/year.

Sep 11, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #1,364 of 2,016
Sep 11, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #1,365 of 2,016
That’s exactly correct. When I signed into my best buy account it dropped to $99

Users who are viewing this thread

Back