Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
Dec 10, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #991 of 1,996
Hiby always shows 192k. Needs to be fixed.

Sounds great though and works over chromecast audio

But spif 3.5 to coax stutters on off v quickly

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #992 of 1,996
The reduction to standard quality bug has not been fixed for everyone, so it might even return.
I suspect those who still see the issue are either on a different platform (not iOs), as it also reportedly affected osx users,or did not upgrade to the latest app version. The issue was gone for me at the moment I updated the ios app, never has returned. Before that, it was not sporadic, but 100% persistent with any content. So I consider this solved on iOS :wink: Any bug can return, but I hope amazon knows at least how to spell ‚regression testing‘ and has a regression test for every fixed bug....

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #993 of 1,996
I don’t know if this is a common problem or not, but when I start playback on a downloaded hi res song on my iphone it takes about one minute before the app starts playing music. For a long time the wheel around the playback button just spins. It does not make a difference if I am playing the song directly on the phone or via an external DAP/DAC. That would qualify as a bug in my book.

that‘s probably because your internal database is screwed, you‘d need to uninstall the app and re-download everything again. For me, the playback starts almost immediately, with around 80 GB of downloaded music...

Dec 10, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #995 of 1,996
When I tried buying a song from this Amazon app, I could only download MP3.... which is so freaking sad.

has anyone been checking the spectrums to see if the streamed files are really high res yet

With purchased albums it works like this: whenever you purchase an album, it‘s an mp3 version only. Real mp3. This version is being downloaded into your library. You can always manually remove this downloaded album and re-download HD/UHD version of the album if it‘s offered for streaming, but it will be gone after your subscription expires. In this case, you can re-download your purchased mp3 version again.

Amazon never said it‘s selling CD or HiRes quality albums, they are clearly saying they are selling mp3 versions of the albums.

It was even the same before Music HD launch. All the streamed content was streamed/downloaded in AAC, while purchased content was still real mp3. So, you were/are definitively getting what you are paying for...

Btw, it‘s often cheaper to buy a CD on amazon and get an mp3 version as auto-rip for free, than just to purchase an mp3 album. Sounds crazy, but is true for many albums, at least on German amazon...

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #996 of 1,996
With purchased albums it works like this: whenever you purchase an album, it‘s an mp3 version only. Real mp3. This version is being downloaded into your library. You can always manually remove this downloaded album and re-download HD/UHD version of the album if it‘s offered for streaming, but it will be gone after your subscription expires. In this case, you can re-download your purchased mp3 version again.

Amazon never said it‘s selling CD or HiRes quality albums, they are clearly saying they are selling mp3 versions of the albums.

It was even the same before Music HD launch. All the streamed content was streamed/downloaded in AAC, while purchased content was still real mp3. So, you were/are definitively getting what you are paying for...

Btw, it‘s often cheaper to buy a CD on amazon and get an mp3 version as auto-rip for free, than just to purchase an mp3 album. Sounds crazy, but is true for many albums, at least on German amazon...

Well, the question would be, does AmaZonHD really offer High Res streaming ? Or are they fake re-sampled from MP3 sources ?

If they have high res original as a source, why would they not be selling Highres files ?

the next question would be, could anyone check the analyzers and see if the contents being streamed is really HD or whatever Amazon is claiming it out to be ?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #997 of 1,996
Well, the question would be, does AmaZonHD really offer High Res streaming ? Or are they fake re-sampled from MP3 sources ?

If they have high res original as a source, why would they not be selling Highres files ?

the next question would be, could anyone check the analyzers and see if the contents being streamed is really HD or whatever Amazon is claiming it out to be ?

I assume for the most content they have real hires, few are probably upsampled... They probably do not see much of a potential in selling hires, as the pricing would be much higher and they would be serving a very niche market. That’s peanuts for amazon, they are simply not interested, the are into volume sales...

Dec 10, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #998 of 1,996
I suspect those who still see the issue are either on a different platform (not iOs), as it also reportedly affected osx users,or did not upgrade to the latest app version. The issue was gone for me at the moment I updated the ios app, never has returned. Before that, it was not sporadic, but 100% persistent with any content. So I consider this solved on iOS :wink: Any bug can return, but I hope amazon knows at least how to spell ‚regression testing‘ and has a regression test for every fixed bug....
I know of someone who has latest version on iPhone and it is still happening.

Dec 10, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #999 of 1,996
8BF540DE-67F5-4411-A7D6-A1DA167FEDD3.png
Is it this?

The 4G has plenty of bars?

I don't get it

Dec 10, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #1,001 of 1,996
I wonder if the version for Amazon devices is seriously messed up. I have trouble completing downloads on my Fire HD 8 (2018 version).

My Fire cube (gen 1) states that my receiver is limited to 16 bit 48 khz even though it can go well over 192khz and 24 bit (even does native DSD/SACD).

Dec 10, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #1,002 of 1,996
I wonder if the version for Amazon devices is seriously messed up. I have trouble completing downloads on my Fire HD 8 (2018 version).

My Fire cube (gen 1) states that my receiver is limited to 16 bit 48 khz even though it can go well over 192khz and 24 bit (even does native DSD/SACD).

I have a Fire stick (3 mos. old or so) and it will not transmit anything higher than 16/48 to my dac either. The limitation reported by Amazon refers to the weakest (so to speak) link in your chain. In my case, I am not sure whether it is actually a limitation of the Fire stick (which sends audio via hdmi to my tv, then from TV to dac via toslink) or the tv, or both. 16/48 is fine for me for casual listening, and still sounds better than spotify. If I want to take full advantage of what is available, I just use my pc, which uses the same tv as a monitor anyway, and send audio via USB or toslink (rarely) directly to the dac without going through the tv. I have not attempted to download any tracks for offline listening via the Fire stick, although I imagine there would be a storage problem.

Dec 11, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #1,004 of 1,996
On my iPhone I had to scroll down though all my apps and indevidually activate cellular on Amazon Music.

I've never had an app where I had to do that!

It took me a few days to figure it out - Doh!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #1,005 of 1,996
This is a quirk of the music industry. The music labels operate streaming and download sales like separate businesses. When you purchase a file, it comes from a separate server and database dedicated only to download sales. It doesn't come from the same source used for streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back