1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by gemNeye, Apr 26, 2019.
First

Back
55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64
66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
Next

Last
  1. a-LeXx
    One of the reasons to drop tidal for me was absence of Chesky Records content. On Amazon, everything from Chesky Records is available. Listened to the new Anna Nalick‘s album ‚The Blackes Crow‘ on amazon yesterday, just beautiful after a stressful week, perfect SQ, even though it‘s ‚just‘ CD-quality.

grokit and Brava210 like this.
  2. Pro-Jules
    I have Tidal working well on my Hiby R6 pro - but Amazon music didn't work very well (would hang, not start etc)

So unless there are tips to get it working well - I guess I am out - shame as there was more hi-res Rolling Stones for me on Amazon...

3. Pro-Jules
    Dang! That has peaked my interest.

I have Hiby R6 Pro (the build is so sturdy!)

I am just sending back a SONY NW-ZX500 (really wanted to like it, its super light weight and cool looking - but it annoyed me that 3rd party streaming apps are restricted to 48k)

I am always interested in better firmware / smoother operation (Trying to get Qobuz to work well drove me mad) and I think there are more hi-res choices for my tastes on Amazon Music

So does anyone recommend a move from R6 Pro to R5? (I see MQA and Amazon badges on Hiby's R5 promo art work)

Thanks in advance

4. magicrandy
    HiBy support told me there is now a firmware update for the R6 Pro and "The support for Amazon Music Ultra HD at 192kHz on HiBy R6 Pro is the same as for HiBy R5".

5. Pro-Jules
    Oh Cool!!

6. originalsnuffy
    How is the sound of Amazon HD on the HiBy R5? I am looking seriously at the new Shanling M6; but the R5 looks like a reasonable cost alternative. I was not impressed with the R3 but I gather the R5 and R6 pro were better sounding units.

7. Pro-Jules
    Sounds fantastic on the R6 Pro but I've had too many freezes with Amazon to confidently move forward with it. I am getting advice.

8. originalsnuffy
    Do you get freezes when you have downloaded the music or just when streaming? I would primarily be downloading; streaming HD seems more challenging to me.

9. Soundizer
    Which ugliest bugs are you referring to?

10. SteveOliver

11. Pro-Jules
    Hiby R6 Pro

Latest firmware 1.6

I am going to try again.

A 192k 24bit version of Beggars Banquet album by the rolling stones froze up the app and needed a restart to do anything next.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  12. a-LeXx
    Well, I couldn‘t use my iPod touch with UHD content at all, it would stutter and overheat.
    Then, with an iphone, it would overheat and play around 3-4 hours with a fully charged battery until it would go flat.
    Then the infamous bug with streaming not working and quality dropping to smth. around 64kBps with unlistenable artifacts in a middle of the song.

Those rendered the app partially or completely unusable on my iOs devices.

All of those have been fixed, I consider the remaining things (e.g. non-defeatable upsampling) cosmetics or nice to have....

13. originalsnuffy
    I don’t know if this is a common problem or not, but when I start playback on a downloaded hi res song on my iphone it takes about one minute before the app starts playing music. For a long time the wheel around the playback button just spins. It does not make a difference if I am playing the song directly on the phone or via an external DAP/DAC. That would qualify as a bug in my book.

14. Pro-Jules
    What device?

Seems to be going OK on my Hiby R6 Pro but early days

15. originalsnuffy
    The post mentioned an iphone as the device....

First

Back
55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64
66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
Next

Last