Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
Nov 19, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #841 of 1,996
I‘m pleased to report that with an iOS app version 9.3.0 released today all bugs that I reported have been fixed:

1st and most important, streaming works now, the quality no longer drops to ‚standard‘ after about a minute and a half of playback
2nd, iPod touch 6th gen has now enough power to play Ultra-HD content, previously it would be stuttering.
3rd, looks like overall power consumption is now less, to be validated....

At last the app is really usable now.

Edit: confirm the power consumption / battery life is much better now. Even my iPod touch stays absolutely cool while streaming 24/196 UHD content, previously it was getting really hot.
But it still upsamples everything to an external DAC. This is my main concern.

Nov 20, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #843 of 1,996
Yes it does. But it doesn't degrade SQ, so I'm ok with that. As I've said previously, this is not a bug, they want it this way, I don't believe they will change it...
Ok. I am not very technical. Do you mind explaining in simple terms how it doesn’t impact sound quality?

Also on a very positive note - since this 9.3.0 update I think the quality has improved on my iPad Pro. Now I struggle to decide which is better between Amazon Music HD vs Tidal HIFI/Masters. Prior to the update Tidal HIFI/Masters always sounded better via my iPadPro to Audioquest Cobalt/Chord Mojo. [iPadPro delivers 24bit/192KHz via USB-C to Mojo which is awesome]. Good news.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #844 of 1,996
Ok. I am not very technical. Do you mind explaining in simple terms how it doesn’t impact sound quality?

Upsampling as such is not bad. It‘s only considered evil by bit-perfect purists who consider Non-oversampling-DACs best thing ever. Most of the dacs today are oversampling anyway, so that bit-perfect is mostly a myth anyway. If it‘s not upsampled by your source, your DAC will most probably do it anyway.
So, if upsampling is implemented correctly (it is on the iOS app), there is no real negative impact. But it still unnecessary consumes computing power on iOS device and represents an avoidable additional load to the battery. So, I would still prefer if there was no upsampling in the app, but even though it‘s there, the impact is on an economical, not on a SQ side...

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #845 of 1,996
Upsampling as such is not bad. It‘s only considered evil by bit-perfect purists who consider Non-oversampling-DACs best thing ever. Most of the dacs today are oversampling anyway, so that bit-perfect is mostly a myth anyway. If it‘s not upsampled by your source, your DAC will most probably do it anyway.
So, if upsampling is implemented correctly (it is on the iOS app), there is no real negative impact. But it still unnecessary consumes computing power on iOS device and represents an avoidable additional load to the battery. So, I would still prefer if there was no upsampling in the app, but even though it‘s there, the impact is on an economical, not on a SQ side...
I was told on these forums that upsampling does, in fact, affect SQ. I learned from sources here more in the know than I to try UAPP app, run Tidal or Qobuz through it and listen for the difference. I selected Bit Perfect mode when available and I am hearing a noticeable difference in improved SQ. I thought my music sounded good before UAPP but now it sounds great. YMMV

Nov 20, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #846 of 1,996
I would rather the DAC in Chord Mojo do the upsampling. Certainly DACS make a massive difference.

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #847 of 1,996
I was told on these forums that upsampling does, in fact, affect SQ. I learned from sources here more in the know than I to try UAPP app, run Tidal or Qobuz through it and listen for the difference. I selected Bit Perfect mode when available and I am hearing a noticeable difference in improved SQ. I thought my music sounded good before UAPP but now it sounds great. YMMV

Android is not great with upsampling, neither us windows. And the biggest problem on Android is not upsampling, but volume control reducing bit depth and dynamic range - that‘s what you hear when comparing to UAPP, not the upsampling...
When you are not using UAPP, Android is using software volume control, which means, to reduce the volume, it recalculates the numbers, making them smaller. By this, it is reducing the bit depth and the available dynamic range, making soft details fainting. UAPP doesn‘t do that. Instead, it is using a gain control of the DAC to change the volume, so that bit depth of your music stays the same, giving you the same resolution, no matter what the volume is. This is a biggest advantage of UAPP.

iOS with amazon‘s app is a different story.
As I said, upsampling is not bad, it depends on an implementation.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #848 of 1,996
One more positive development with Amazon Music: all my albums with mixed SD/HD tracks have now been updated, all tracks are now HD.
Also few SD albums in my library have been updated to HD. I don‘t have even a single SD album any longer in a library of 250 albums, all of them are at least HD quality.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #849 of 1,996
One more positive development with Amazon Music: all my albums with mixed SD/HD tracks have now been updated, all tracks are now HD.
Also few SD albums in my library have been updated to HD. I don‘t have even a single SD album any longer in a library of 250 albums, all of them are at least HD quality.
Thank you for the update - nice one.
There is a refresh my music option in ios app, not sure if this updates downloaded albums?

Nov 22, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #850 of 1,996
Thank you for the update - nice one.
There is a refresh my music option in ios app, not sure if this updates downloaded albums?
Nope, that only refreshes your album list from the cloud, in case you are using multiple devices.
To update the album content (tracks) you need to go album by album, and if there are any updates, it will allow you to re-download. Pretty cumbersome, but this needs to be done once only, so I'm ok with that...

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #853 of 1,996
It does not and perhaps Amazon does not intend to do anything about it. Only Amazon knows.
Thanks for checking. Part of me still is hoping that they just "haven't gotten around to it"... Maybe they truly don't intend to do anything about it because they are persuaded their upsampling implementation improves sound quality for their core listeners. Hopefully they add an option or a third party app gives us the bit-streams we're hoping for.

Nov 22, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #854 of 1,996
Nope, that only refreshes your album list from the cloud, in case you are using multiple devices.
To update the album content (tracks) you need to go album by album, and if there are any updates, it will allow you to re-download. Pretty cumbersome, but this needs to be done once only, so I'm ok with that...
I certainly think there has been an improvement to audio quality from my iPadPro. Perhaps the 9.3.0 update which addressed the battery exhaustion also resulted in smoother output. I again today tried A/B with TIDAL HIFI in 12second clips and found unable to decide which is better. Where as prior to 9.3.0 sounded much better.

Nov 22, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #855 of 1,996
Tidal (previously WiMP in Europe) launched in the US in late 2014 with users complaining of drop outs, erratic playback, all sorts of SQ problems. It was not reliable then while Qobuz was. Except those in the US could only subscribe to Qobuz at that time using a VPN. Jay-Z bought Tidal in early 2015 and exclusive mode was still not available until after MQA support came along in 2016. So there is still hope for improvement in Amazon Music HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back