Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
Mar 14, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #1,561 of 2,015
I would also prefer Amazon Music HD over Tidal because it's much cheaper if you already have Prime. There is only one problem and that's the hires quality restriction on (HiRes) Android Devices. For example my Astell & Kern Player is restricted to 24bit/48KHz. That's the only reason why I'm still using Tidal. I wrote to Amazon because of this Problem, but they never reported back to me.
Actually, I pay more for my Amazon Music HD than Tidal - even more, due to paying for Prime on top of Amazon Music + Amazon Music HD (there are 2 charges to get the full bandwidth).

I bought the BestBuy Annual Tidal subscription at $89/yr for the 1st year and $119/yr on renewal. To see the discounted price, create a Bestbuy account (if you don't have one) and login. :)

There are things that get in the way of full bandwidth even if the hardware can provide full 32/384khz. Check your player - try the Android app UAPP and enable Bit Perfect mode.

Amazon FLAC files are generally 44.1khz or 48khz, but there are 96khz tracks available - sometimes not all tracks in an album are UltraHD or as high as 96khz, and some are 192khz FLAC files:

(Note that the album / tracks need to be opened in the Amazon Music *App*, not played in a browser, to get the full high-resolution playback.

The Doors - The Doors
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B0018B1O7I?ref=dm_sh_d723-7db0-1887-bced-89c86

Break on through to the other side - 96khz
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B0018B1O7I?trackAsin=B0018AZV8W&ref=dm_sh_16dd-9856-28d9-dbe9-9c0ec

The Crystal Ship - 192khz
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B0018B1O7I?trackAsin=B0018AYH3C&ref=dm_sh_f6fb-bbc3-b390-303a-e88fb

Light my Fire - 192khz
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B0018B1O7I?trackAsin=B0018AYH4G&ref=dm_sh_9e6e-041f-a920-7df0-9118d

On the bottom track control panel - click on yellow "UltraHD" icon to see these details on the music track:

1615730578346.png

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #1,562 of 2,015
I would also prefer Amazon Music HD over Tidal because it's much cheaper if you already have Prime. There is only one problem and that's the hires quality restriction on (HiRes) Android Devices. For example my Astell & Kern Player is restricted to 24bit/48KHz. That's the only reason why I'm still using Tidal. I wrote to Amazon because of this Problem, but they never reported back to me.
Although I can't afford the gear I'd like to own I don't pinch when it comes to source quality. The Amazon HD offering is fine but isn't in the same league as Tidal or Qobuz.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #1,563 of 2,015
Both my M9 and M11 Pro bypass Android sound stack. I'm surprised an A&K doesn't.

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #1,564 of 2,015
Actually, I pay more for my Amazon Music HD than Tidal - even more, due to paying for Prime on top of Amazon Music + Amazon Music HD (there are 2 charges to get the full bandwidth).

I bought the BestBuy Annual Tidal subscription at $89/yr for the 1st year and $119/yr on renewal. To see the discounted price, create a Bestbuy account (if you don't have one) and login. :)

There are things that get in the way of full bandwidth even if the hardware can provide full 32/364khz. Check your player - try the Android app UAPP and enable Bit Perfect mode.

Amazon FLAC files are generally 44.1khz or 48khz, but there are 96khz tracks available - sometimes not all tracks in an album are UltraHD or as high as 96khz, and some are 192khz FLAC files:

(Note that the album / tracks need to be opened in the App, not a browser, to get the full high-resolution playback)

The Doors - The Doors
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B0018B1O7I?ref=dm_sh_d723-7db0-1887-bced-89c86

Break on through to the other side - 96khz
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B0018B1O7I?trackAsin=B0018AZV8W&ref=dm_sh_16dd-9856-28d9-dbe9-9c0ec

The Crystal Ship - 192khz
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B0018B1O7I?trackAsin=B0018AYH3C&ref=dm_sh_f6fb-bbc3-b390-303a-e88fb

Light my Fire - 192khz
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B0018B1O7I?trackAsin=B0018AYH4G&ref=dm_sh_9e6e-041f-a920-7df0-9118d

On the bottom track control panel - click on yellow "UltraHD" icon to see these details on the music track:

1615730578346.png
I don't think there is any way to use uapp to play back files from Amazon HD.

Mar 14, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #1,565 of 2,015
Here's my report back form comparing Amazon Music to last year:
They have gotten better quality versions of about half of the songs that were in opus format. Same thing seems true about all the songs that had watermarks last year. Half of them don't anymore.
Again, this is just comparing the small sample of songs that I listened to then and now.

Mar 14, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #1,566 of 2,015

If you play a 24/192 file using the default player prior to opening Amazon HD on Astell & Kern devices, Amazon will detect the higher capabilities and work properly. It's a workaround but it does work.

Mar 14, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #1,567 of 2,015
If you play a 24/192 file using the default player prior to opening Amazon HD on Astell & Kern devices, Amazon will detect the higher capabilities and work properly. It's a workaround but it does work.
I should have mentioned this, same with the Fiios.

Mar 14, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #1,568 of 2,015
I should have mentioned this, same with the Fiios.

Yeah my M11 Pro was doing this as well at some point. The latest version(s) seem to have fixed it, for now. Amazon tends to break things with updates.

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #1,569 of 2,015
I don't think there is any way to use uapp to play back files from Amazon HD.
Too bad, I use UAPP to stream Tidal on Android, phone and FiiO M15, along with the Tidal app - of course. I haven't had any problems with the Amazon Music HD App on Android, so there was no reason to look around for an alternative. :)
Yeah my M11 Pro was doing this as well at some point. The latest version(s) seem to have fixed it, for now. Amazon tends to break things with updates.
That's an unnecessary generalization since Tidal broke things on Android and Windows as many times as they have fixed it, but Tidal is running fine now.

Amazon had problems with their Windows App for a long time, but the Amazon Music App is running stable now.

I wouldn't kill the joy for either of them with long past situational historic problems that no longer exist. For me, both Tidal and Amazon run fine on Android and Windows.

And, I don't think I'd be happy with one or the other alone, as Tidal is great for MQA playback, but Amazon has many publishers and albums that I can't get on Tidal, and Amazon Music HD has a lot of FLAC content - as high as 192khz (higher?) - which sound as good as Tidal in many instances.

If I did have to choose only one I would choose Tidal, since it's cheaper and overall I live in Tidal and only occasionally use Amazon Music HD when I am looking for new music I can't find on Tidal.

There are good reasons for me to enjoy both. I'm still listening to Amazon Music HD since last night, and it's awesome. :)
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B00BZQ563Y?ref=dm_sh_3d04-f827-68e7-9039-8b518

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #1,570 of 2,015
Too bad, I use UAPP to stream Tidal on Android, phone and FiiO M15, along with the Tidal app - of course :)

That's an unnecessary generalization since Tidal broke things on Android and Windows as many times as they have fixed it, but Tidal is running fine now.

Amazon had problems with their Windows App for a long time, but the Amazon Music HD app is running stable now.

I wouldn't kill the joy for either of them with situational historic problems that no longer exist. For me, both Tidal and Amazon run fine on Android and Windows.

And, I don't think I'd be happy with one or the other alone, as Tidal is great for MQA playback, but Amazon has many albums that I can't get on Tidal, and Amazon Music HD has a lot of FLAC content - as high as 192khz (higher?) - which sound as good as Tidal in many instances.

If I did have to choose only one I would choose Tidal, since it's cheaper and overall I live in Tidal and only occasionally use Amazon Music HD.

There are good reasons for me to enjoy both. I'm still listening to Amazon Music HD since last night, and it's awesome. :)
I was getting good readings, too, when using Amazon HD. But...and there's always a but...when I would A/B the same track, not even MQA files, the sound difference was pronounced to my ears.

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #1,571 of 2,015
I was getting good readings, too, when using Amazon HD. But...and there's always a but...when I would A/B the same track, not even MQA files, the sound difference was pronounced to my ears.
Yup, right now I A/B'd "The Doors - LA Woman" and it sounds better on Tidal. :)

Note that we need to reset the volume level on both to match before judging the track from each service. It helped out AMHD, but not quite enough this time.

After listening for many hours on Amazon Music HD I was very happy when I was listening to that album until you brought it up and I went through the trouble of A/B'ing.

I don't take the time to swap back and forth A/B'ing music between the two. Often when I do check there is little to no difference, sometimes there is a big difference in favor of one or the other. When I am on AMHD / Tidal and I am happily listening, for me that's what counts, so I keep the streaming flow going. I'm not wound so tight that I need to hear the best, song by song, album by album, all the time.

Sometimes Tidal has more inventory than Amazon, sometimes the other way around. Search for live at the village on both, show all Albums, both have a great selection and a lot of enjoyable listening. :)

Both are relaxing and enjoyable:
https://tidal.com/browse/album/56151824
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B01AH0LT0M?ref=dm_sh_7f1e-8f21-812d-5202-93263

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #1,572 of 2,015
Yup, right now I A/B'd "The Doors - LA Woman" and it sounds better on Tidal. :)

Note that we need to reset the levels to match before judging the track from each service. It helped out AMHD, but not quite enough this time.

After listening for many hours on Amazon Music HD I was very happy when I was listening to that album, until you brought it up and I went through the trouble of A/B'ing.

I don't take the time to swap back and forth A/B'ing music between the two. When I do check there is little to no difference, sometimes there is a big difference in favor of one or the other. When I am on AMHD / Tidal and I am happily listening, for me that's what counts, so I keep the straming flow going. I'm not wound so tight that I need to hear the best, song by song, album by album, all the time.

Sometimes Tidal has more inventory than Amazon, sometimes the other way around. Search for live at the village on both, show all Albums, both have a great selection. :)
I would be one of those guys wound too tight. Even when I hear something on Tidal that I like and it sounds not quite right I move on to another track or album. Sometimes I will listen still but not often.

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #1,574 of 2,015

Amazon had problems with their Windows App for a long time, but the Amazon Music HD app is running stable now.

I wouldn't kill the joy for either of them with situational historic problems that no longer exist. For me, both Tidal and Amazon run fine on Android and Windows.

You are correct, I think that trying to get high resolution audio outside of the Android mixer has been a technical challenge for all of the Android apps with the various DAP hardware out there. I don't use Windows for native audio, so I have avoided any of that frustration that I have seen discussed here...

At least for me, the problems do still exist on the Android platform, and I hope to see continued improvement. :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #1,575 of 2,015
Thanks for this advice. That's totally weird, but it works :thumbsup: Seems like a bug with the Astell & Kern Players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back