Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
Mar 15, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #1,577 of 1,996
Being a Prime subscriber, I wanted to give Amazon Music HD a try, and I did. The overall sound quality is a definite improvement over Spotify. That's the only good thing I can say.

My first problem was the throttling of tracks. Even tracks that I had downloaded to my PC. I just can't see paying for a lossless streaming service that's going to become lossy through no fault of my own. It happened three times in five listening sessions. That's too often.

The second problem was on my phone. I simply couldn't get the app to play the songs I wanted. It would randomly choose a different song on the playlist. Or sometimes it wouldn't play at all. It was during my workout, so I finally gave up and just listened to Spotify for the session.

I cancelled the trial and uninstalled the apps. I'm trying Qobuz and so far it's very impressive. Sound quality is better, the apps work better, and I like the interfaces more. The only tracks Qobuz didn't have from my master list of 280 favorites are four from Bob Seger and one track from Sonic Youth. I can most definitely live with that.

Apr 12, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #1,578 of 1,996
Do you know any good alternatives to it with better sound quality? I mean, it is not that bad, but maybe you know a better option. I have a firestick, and there are so many great apps and solutions for video streaming, I love it! I found a lot of them on https://www.firesticktricks.com/mobdro-alternatives.html and I often use those to watch movies and TV shows online for free. So I would like to get some recommendations on music services too..

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #1,579 of 1,996
Do you know any good alternatives to it with better sound quality? I mean, it is not that bad, but maybe you know a better option
An alternative to Amazon Music HD? The post right before yours was just discussing Qobuz, which I also used to have until a month ago. Their catalog is not as large and they don't have great discovery/radio functions (I also kept an Amazon music subscription for that) but their SQ is excellent and they actually have a true "Exclusive Mode" that works. Qobuz also worked great with Roon and UAPP for bitperfect playback if you use Android devices. I recall I started with their trial so if they still offer one, I would give it a try. I cancelled because I just didnt need really two services and Qobuz didnt have any content for my toddler.

Apr 12, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #1,580 of 1,996
Do you know any good alternatives to it with better sound quality? I mean, it is not that bad, but maybe you know a better option

An alternative to Amazon Music HD? The post right before yours was just discussing Qobuz, which I also used to have until a month ago. Their catalog is not as large and they don't have great discovery/radio functions (I also kept an Amazon music subscription for that) but their SQ is excellent and they actually have a true "Exclusive Mode" that works. Qobuz also worked great with Roon and UAPP for bitperfect playback if you use Android devices. I recall I started with their trial so if they still offer one, I would give it a try. I cancelled because I just didnt need really two services and Qobuz didnt have any content for my toddler.
I'm still in my Qobuz trial and have no qualms about paying monthly moving forward. I say monthly, because I'm holding out hope that Spotify Hi-Fi (or whatever it's called) will solve the world's problems when it comes out this year.

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #1,581 of 1,996
Any fix for Amazon HD seeing my DAC not playing above 24 bit 48k?. Tidal takes control correctly but Amazon only thinks my Holo May isn't capable with exclusive mode activated.

Apr 18, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #1,582 of 1,996
Any fix for Amazon HD seeing my DAC not playing above 24 bit 48k?. Tidal takes control correctly but Amazon only thinks my Holo May isn't capable with exclusive mode activated.
Are you on Windows? Amazon's "Exclusive Mode" doesn't appear to be a true exclusive mode like what people on this forum likely think of when they hear "Exclusive Mode," and it does not appear to work the same way as it does for Qobuz or Roon (or Tidal, I assume since I have never used Tidal). I still need to set the sample rate in Windows sound settings and everything still seems to go through the Windows mixer/resampling. The only thing Amazon's "Exclusive Mode" does is prevent other apps from using your DAC.

Apr 18, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #1,583 of 1,996
Are you on Windows? Amazon's "Exclusive Mode" doesn't appear to be a true exclusive mode like what people on this forum likely think of when they hear "Exclusive Mode," and it does not appear to work the same way as it does for Qobuz or Roon (or Tidal, I assume since I have never used Tidal). I still need to set the sample rate in Windows sound settings and everything still seems to go through the Windows mixer/resampling. The only thing Amazon's "Exclusive Mode" does is prevent other apps from using your DAC.
There's no change so I guess downgrade to regular Amazon till they feel like being like Tidal

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #1,584 of 1,996
There's no change so I guess downgrade to regular Amazon till they feel like being like Tidal
I don't see this happening, actually. There are devices that play Amazon bit-perfect (Bluesound enabled streamers, some streaming daps) but I don't see Amazon caring enough to bother. On the rare occasion I use a pc or a phone for Amazon HD playback, I just set the device to playback at 24/44.1, as that is what most of the "ultra hd" files are anyway, unless I am playing an album or a playlist that are all one bit/sample rate, where I change settings to match. Android phones are all limited to 24/48 iirc without playback software like UAPP or Neutron, but none of them work for amazon.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #1,585 of 1,996
I don't see this happening, actually. There are devices that play Amazon bit-perfect (Bluesound enabled streamers, some streaming daps)
Good point. I do use BluOS and it works great for Amazon Music HD. I have a Node 2i on my desktop and another in my living room. I do use the Windows app on my laptop setup or when I need to edit playlists (can't edit using BluOS).

Apr 19, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #1,586 of 1,996
I agree. It sounds like you have your sound card set to 48kHz in the Windows sound settings. The official drivers for my sound card can set it to 96kHz at the most, but Windows says it can be set up to 192kHz. The Amazon music player seems to agree with the Windows sound setting.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #1,587 of 1,996
i find that i have to manually change it before launching the app for it to pick up correctly...
image_2021-04-20_100708.png

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #1,588 of 1,996
just signed up for the qobuz trial... not having the radio feature might be a dealbreaker for me but let's see how this compares to amazon music hd. i do love amazon music hd's lyric feature

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #1,589 of 1,996
Anyone know if Amazon Music HD can be finagled to cast to Chromecast Audio via the Windows app? I can cast from Chrome, but I don't think that supports exclusive mode, and I've found that to make a massive difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back