Amazing Music Recommendations...From A to Z
Jul 8, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #121 of 185
Roger_Waters_Amused_to_Death.jpg

Jul 8, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #122 of 185
If you're not going to say anything at all about your selections then please don't bother to post. All you're doing is cluttering up a thread in which people are making an effort to say something meaningful about their recommendations.

Thank you.

--Jerome

Jul 8, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #124 of 185
Unless anybody has anything better I'm skipping X, Y, and Z.
icon10.gif

Amon Tobin - Permutation

4161NQWAPYL.jpg

Here's a nice album for all those Electronic/Turntable fans out there. A lot of the earlier songs on this album have a very Jazzy feel to them, while the songs later in the album start to take on a harder, more sampled sound. Another notable aspect of this album is Amon's drum programming ability. The drums on some of the songs are just insane! Case in point is the song Sordid. At the end of the song you hear drumsticks hit the ground, but the preceding percussion segments are just mind blowing! Could be somebody real hitting those drums, but I doubt it. There are more examples of this in the album, but Sordid is in a league of it's own. The album as a whole is extremely good. I consider it to be the best out of Amon Tobin's catalog, and one of the best Electronic albums in my collection. All electronic fans, and especially DJ Shadow fans need to give this one a listen.

Jul 9, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #125 of 185
375x375

I'm going to jump in here with Built to Spill's classic Perfect From Now On. This is one of my very favourite albums. By way of description, it's rock with original songs/structures, and stellar playing firmly rooted in the classic rock tradition. At least enough that I'd think almost anyone who likes rock would enjoy it. I will never get tired of this record.

Something else I'll never get tired of is seeing Built to Spill live, which I'll be doing twice in the upcoming week when they play here for the first time ever. It will be great. I've seen them a bunch of times in other cities and they are up there with the very best acts I've seen. I'm excited.

Jul 9, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #126 of 185
I didn't recommend Roger Waters "Amused to Death" but I have to say it's one of my favorites. "Arabs With Knives and West German Skies" is amazing!! Roger Waters was the genius behind Pink Floyd no doubt. Every time I listen to this album I want to drink for some reason. Listening to it right now on my Ipod - and the Germans kill the Jews and the Jews kill the Arabs and the Arabs kill the hostages and that is the news Ok, now I need a drink!

Jul 13, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #127 of 185
The Cooper Temple Clause - Kick Up The Fire, And Let The Flames Break Loose

514430GC6AL.jpg

I'm gonna throw in one of my favorite albums of the last few years, and one of my top 10 favorites of all time. What we have here is a rock album with a lot of electronic elements thrown in for good measure. It's hard to describe, but this album just does it for me every time I listen to it. No matter what kind of mood I'm in, I can always get into this album. Rock and Prog Rock fans in general should give this one a try, you might be suprised.

^Roger Waters eh. I've never tried any of his solo stuff before, and I don't drink, but I just might have to give that one a try.

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #128 of 185
Dirty Three - Horse Stories

27359f.jpg

Dirty Three's intrumental melancholy is wholly compelling. Consisting of a violin, an electric guitar, and drums, one might be inclined to think that such a combination would be quite limited. But the music, and especially the interplay between the instruments, suggests otherwise. Horse Stories always seems to evoke a reflective and contemplative mood in me. Highly recommended, especially for alternative rock fans who are looking for something different.

--Jerome

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #129 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dirty Three - Horse Stories

Consisting of a violin, an electric guitar, and drums, one might be inclined to think that such a combination would be quite limited.

--Jerome

What are you talking about? With a good violin, the possibilities are endless. This one is officially on my "watch list".

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #130 of 185
Violin is not generally regarded as an instrument used prominently in rock arrangements. But what do I know, I've only been listening to rock of all sorts for over 40 years. When I describe the outfit to others most of the rock fans I know don't think "Wow! A violin and an electric guitar!!"

If I personally thought Dirty Three was limited I certainly would not have recommended it.
smily_headphones1.gif

--Jerome

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #131 of 185
The 1973-1974 King Crimson had a violin player, mostly as effect and backup to guitar. Not too much interplay, but still a fresh touch.

Anyway, Brian Eno - Another Green World. (This has already been posted-I guess this is a 2nd recommendation.)

s706.jpg

This was Brian Eno's first experiments with what would later be called ambient music. By far his best, too, because he worked with short, 3-minute arrangements that keep things from getting boring. His synthesizers put out music with emotion you wouldn't believe, and they're quite diverse-take you through different places. They're essentially aural paintings. Robert Fripp guests here, with a few solos that fit in very well within Eno's framework. To be sure, pretty far removed from conventional rock, etc. (it's all atmosphere), but a powerful work.

Jul 13, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #133 of 185
Sorry, didn't know. I don't really know another "E" artist that's this excellent. Maybe somebody can recommend another E?

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #134 of 185
Emiliana Torrini - Love in the Time of Science

Emilianatorrini_loveinthetimeofscience.jpg

Beautiful, haunting female vocals over trip hop beats. Very chill, very good. For fans of Bjork, Sneaker Pimps, Goldfrapp.

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #135 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by s m @ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to jump in here with Built to Spill's classic Perfect From Now On

Great album. I just bought that one and Keep it Like a Secret on 180 gram vinyl. I can't wait to hear them!

--Jerome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back