Amazing Music Recommendations...From A to Z
Jul 30, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #166 of 185
Excellent thread guys, I have found quite a few new albums to listen to.

Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers

880f.jpg

I don't even know what to say about this, it is their bestselling album for a reason, it is excellent from start to finish. You will know man songs on the album just from being alive in the last ten years. Scar Tissue(Grammy), Around the World Californication and Otherside are excellent, and are very well known for that reason. This album and Stadium Arcadium are the ones that got me into RHCP and both are albums for me that I can listen to at any time. Some complain some of the funk is lost on this album, but I think that they have found the perfect balance of funk and rock and everything on it. Also the vocals of Kiedis seemed to reach a whole new level on this album. Sorry, but I believe this is the album with the infamous sq issue can anyone confirm?

Jul 30, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #168 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by speedball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ummm ... you went from B to R?

No, I don't have any C artists that I really like so I went by album title.

Jul 30, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #169 of 185
Good to see this thread come back from the dead.

Diplo - Florida

61BEZFYFFGL.jpg

Here's another one of those "one incredible album" artists that populate my CD shelves. This is an often overlooked electronic album that should suit the fans of DJ Shadow, Amon Tobin, and Kid Koala. A good track to sample would be the third track titled "Sarah". It's a shame that he has since completely abandoned this sound he created and is now devoting his time to producing other acts he has discovered, as he had a sound and style that I really appreciated.

Jul 30, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #170 of 185
E

Electrelane - 'No Shouts, No Calls'
If someone already listed this, sorry...Its worth talkin' up though. Farfisa organ-heavy, great multi-chick harmonies, rockin'. They mine that motor-rock groove ala' Neu! or Kraftwerk but manage to sound fresh on every listen so far. I've only had it for a week but its grown better (and louder) with each listen. Actually, they remind me a lot of Juned...a great and underrated band from the early 90's.

Jul 31, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #172 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent thread guys, I have found quite a few new albums to listen to.

Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers

880f.jpg

Sorry, but I believe this is the album with the infamous sq issue can anyone confirm?

Indeed it is. Still a great album, just don't expect great sound.

Jul 31, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #173 of 185
Ghazal -- Lost Songs of The Silk Road

Ghazal is an improvisatory duo consisting of sitarist/singer Shujaat Hussain Kahn and kamenche (Iranian spiked fiddle) player Kayhan Kalhor, both renowned masters of their instruments. Adding to this duo is the wonderful tabla player Swapan Chaudhuri. On this album, the first in a series of three, they present four long, beautiful improvisations that evoke jeweled palaces and long spans of desert landscapes. This is music that must be savored over and over before it yields its secrets.

Jul 31, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #174 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyhambone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E

Electrelane - 'No Shouts, No Calls'
If someone already listed this, sorry...Its worth talkin' up though.

No apologies necessary. Favorite of the year for me.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...50#post3115550

41RNXVXEP4L._AA240_.jpg

But back to the present with 'H' ... and Joe Henry. Love Joe Henry. One of my favorites since the days of the alt-country sounding Short Man's Room, but Fuse is the one that made me love him. Can't think of any better reason than "Like She Was a Hammer". Just an incredible song, on an album full of incredible songs. And Scar was one of my top albums of the year in 2001, in what turned out to be one of my favorite music years in modern times. But Fuse just might be one of the most underrated albums of the last decade.

Still don't love Tiny Voices quite as much as that trilogy of Trampoline / Fuse / Scar, but it may be his most sophisticated and musically rich work yet. New one coming out in Sept, sure to be a good one.

Jul 31, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #175 of 185
I

Iron and Wine - I'll go out on a limb and suggest the iTunes Session. They do a beautiful cover of Joy Division's 'Love Vigilante' plus a couple really nice renditions of stuff from Our Endless Numbered Days. If you're a Sam Beam fan, you already have the proper albums so this is a nice addition...if you don't know him yet, this is a good sample. Simple Appalacian songs that create a rich cinematic atmosphere...new one is due out soon and I, for one, am excited.

Aug 1, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #176 of 185
B000G7PNKO.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Journey - Greatest Hits

Come on now. Rock galore of one of the best bands from the 70s-80s all in one CD! My favorites are "Don't Stop Believin'" and "Any Way You Want It." Even though I am into more modern music, this compilation still pulls me back to it every time! If you like rock at all, you must give this a try! I mean come on, my fob Asian Dad listens to this for Chrissake!

http://www.amazon.com/Journey-Greate.../dp/B0000026NF
I see a bunch going for ~$10 shipped, what you waiting for?!
eek.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #178 of 185
Lowest of the Low - Hallucigenia

d49597784p6.jpg

Man, when I was a young teenager I listened the hell out of this album! It got me through a lot of good and bad times, so obviously it has a lot of emotional/nostalgic value for me.

It is somewhere between early '90s alternative and hard rock. The album didn't really sell and the band was already having issues internally and broke up within months of the release. I believe they could have enjoyed great commercial success, but I guess it was not in the cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back