Amazing Music Recommendations...From A to Z
Jul 18, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #151 of 185
Skipping Q...moving onto R

Rodan - Rusty

39075f.jpg

One of the pioneers of the fertile Louisville math rock scene, Rodan's fractured and angular guitar lines are like a seductive siren call. The band can go from the delicate opener Bible Silver Corner to the forceful and penetrating The Everyday World of Bodies. The music is dense and complex, though surprisingly accessible. Unfortunately, this album is the sum total of the group's recorded output. After Rusty was recorded the band's members would move onto other projects, such as June of 44 and Rachel's. A personal favorite in a rock subgenre I can't seem to get enough of.

--Jerome

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #152 of 185
You can't miss Q. That is cheating.

Stranglers - Feline

Sublime describes it perfectly. Some would choose earlier more rocking Strangler albums from the '70's but this is easily one of the top albums of the '80's and is a transition stage for the Stranglers that captured them at the top of their career. I saw them live during the Feline tour and was one of my favourite concerts ever. If you like 80's music then you must have this album.

alb7474.jpg

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #153 of 185
[size=medium]Toco - Outro Lugar[/size]

toco~~~~~~~_outroluga_101b.jpg

listen here: Toco - Outro Lugar

Brazilian bossa nova, very smooth sound, for anyone who just wants to chillout for a bit and take a load off, other artists off this album include Roberto Menescal, Rosalia De Souza, Coralie Clement, Adi Souza and so forth

Jul 18, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #154 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't miss Q. That is cheating.

No it isn't. We collectively decided some time ago that there probably were not enough Q's and a few other letters to sustain this thread. Or did you miss that part several pages back?

--Jerome

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #155 of 185
U.N.K.L.E - Psyence Fiction

Unklepsyencefiction.jpg

How can you pass on this? DJ Shadow in excellent form, featured artists like Thom York, Richard Ashcroft and Badly Drawn Boy. Awesome album.

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #156 of 185
Vas -- In the Garden of Souls.

e14879qhctt.jpg

Vas
is a duo that is often compared with Dead Can Dance. Yet the sensual, sinuous voice of Iranian vocalist Azam Ali is distinct from Lisa Gerrard's forceful, even frenzied, delivery. The percussive works of Greg Ellis, accompanied by hammered dulcimer and strings, goes considerably beyond Dead Can Dance's Spiritchaser album. Of their four albums so far, The Garden of Souls is the most far-reaching and complex.

Jul 18, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #158 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
U.N.K.L.E - Psyence Fiction

How can you pass on this? DJ Shadow in excellent form, featured artists like Thom York, Richard Ashcroft and Badly Drawn Boy. Awesome album.

Man, and I thought I was the only person on head-fi that thought this album was any good! One of my all time favorites! Home to one of my favorite music videos as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ClCwcCvdQ

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #159 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No it isn't. We collectively decided some time ago that there probably were not enough Q's and a few other letters to sustain this thread. Or did you miss that part several pages back?

--Jerome

I was just kidding, but yes I did miss that because I posted mine before I read the others. Can I skip the complete alphabet and start at 8?

808 State - ex:el

If you are into techno/electronica then this belongs in your collection. Has guest appearances from Bernard Sumner of Joy Division/New Order and Bjork.

808state_ex-el_cover.jpg

Jul 19, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #160 of 185
Wait we were still on W Ahh I missed it. I'll just add this W anyway.
The Wild Swans One of my favorite bands of the 80s that I still love today. They have a new release of consisting of their 2 albums from sire records bringing home the ashes and space flower. The wild swans lead vocalist paul simpson used to play keyboards for the teardrop explodes and worked with Ian broudie of the lightning seeds on the band the care. The lotus eaters is another fine band that was one of paul simpsons projects. Paul simpson also made skyray which i never got to listen to because of its rarity
41ZqJAQwXhL._AA240_.jpg

Jul 19, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #161 of 185
Skip Y.

The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle

0003020614132_500X500.jpg

One of the best of the 60's. Similar to the beach boys in some ways.

Highlights: Care of Cell 44, Time of the Season

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #162 of 185
^ I'd love more info. if you've got it...this is on my list of albums to pick up at some point...

A

'ANGELS OF LIGHT' - 'Angels of Light Sing Other People' Michael Gira w/ Akron/Family as the backing band...one of the better albums released in the last few years...dark, folky, organic, and a bit scary...

Jul 19, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #163 of 185
Bauhaus - Burning From The Inside

Bauhaus is one of the bands responsible for creating the Goth scene. This album has one of my favourite Bauhaus songs on it, "She's In Parties". No Bela Lugosi's Dead but even non=goths will like this album if you are interested in original music styles. This album is one of their top efforts and every track is good, IMO.

B000002GDZ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Jul 19, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #164 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyhambone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I'd love more info. if you've got it...this is on my list of albums to pick up at some point...

A

'ANGELS OF LIGHT' - 'Angels of Light Sing Other People' Michael Gira w/ Akron/Family as the backing band...one of the better albums released in the last few years...dark, folky, organic, and a bit scary...

I've got to get this album as I used to be a big fan of the Swans.

Jul 26, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #165 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bauhaus - Burning From The Inside

Bauhaus is one of the bands responsible for creating the Goth scene. This album has one of my favourite Bauhaus songs on it, "She's In Parties". No Bela Lugosi's Dead but even non=goths will like this album if you are interested in original music styles. This album is one of their top efforts and every track is good, IMO.

B000002GDZ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I second that. Great album! I like it better than The Sky's Gone Out (still a wonderful album).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back